U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 AM

1,071 posts, read 3,938,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
It is amazing how "Cincinnati's Numbers Game" thread turned into the "Cincinnati Shady Gay Bars" thread
that's true. let's try to stay on topic a bit guys. thanks .

goyguy, great post. As for getting folks back in the city, we've gotta get crime down, and get the schools in civilized order just for starters. But I see transportation, blight and entertainment as big issues as well. cincinnati needs to push harder for a light/heavy rail system that connects the airport to downtown and up the 75 corridor through hamilton to dayton, and one from downtown up the 71 corridor (oasis line). Streetcars connect the center city, and a few spawn lines from the light/heavy rail in the tri-county/275 area. I don't know what's taking the city/county so long, but we can't just sit around waiting on a couple streetcar lines to save our city. St. louis and cleveland, our primary sister cities in the midwest, have some form of rail, so cost rings as an excuse to me. Our city is dirty as well, and it needs to be addressed without tearing down old buildings, if it can be avoided. A restoration campaign might be in order citywide, but otr and the eastside seems to be all the city cares about. finally, the banks should cut down on some of cincinnati's "sleepy" image, but we need more. an arena at broadway commons would do us good if we had the leadership to attract an nba franchise. on cold, thursday nights in January, people could gravitate from main st. and nearby bars to the game, and back when the game is over. this location would really help out otr's bar scene and the safety issues at night, even if it be perception only. the city also needs to support the districts we have in northside, madison rd, etc by lowering licensing fees and things of that nature, so we have multiple places to go and see real crowds, not five people standing outside smoking a cig. we have to give people reasons to visit us, and if we accomplished at least the transportation thing and the entertainment, we can compete with chicago in the midwest. i believe chicago has to be the model. clean, eclectic neighborhoods, efficient, accessible transportation, and a nightlife people crave to explore. we already have the history, density, architecture and much of the infrastructure of a really major city. we may never be the first city in the midwest again, but imagine if the midwest had chicago and boston rivaling each other instead of chicago pointing at cincinnati and laughing at our decision-making.

also, i think spring grove by the west end is ripe for a warehouse district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:55 AM

17 posts, read 47,819 times
Default Develop the water front

Does anyone know the status of the water front?

I know that while I was living there (a few years back) I was struck by how different the Cincinnati side of the Ohio river was compared with the Northern Kentucky side. Basically, the other side was developed with venues for food, music, nightlife, events, etc., whereas on the Cincinnati side a lot of money was poured into two large stadiums. As I understood, this created a situation whereby a lot of folks come in from the suburbs, spend all their money in the stadiums, but don't frequent any venues on the Cincinnati side. After the game (or concert), people either head to Kentucky to spend their money or head back home.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 AM

mattbigelow,

they are finally getting the banks project underway, a mixed-use development between the stadiums. hopefully it will keep ohioans in ohio to spend their money. it should be a boon if done right.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:36 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,225,733 times
Thumbs up Hillside...The Soldier On The Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
that's true. let's try to stay on topic a bit guys. thanks .

goyguy, great post. As for getting folks back in the city, we've gotta get crime down, and get the schools in civilized order just for starters. But I see transportation, blight and entertainment as big issues as well. cincinnati needs to push harder for a light/heavy rail system that connects the airport to downtown and up the 75 corridor through hamilton to dayton, and one from downtown up the 71 corridor (oasis line). Streetcars connect the center city, and a few spawn lines from the light/heavy rail in the tri-county/275 area. I don't know what's taking the city/county so long, but we can't just sit around waiting on a couple streetcar lines to save our city. St. louis and cleveland, our primary sister cities in the midwest, have some form of rail, so cost rings as an excuse to me. Our city is dirty as well, and it needs to be addressed without tearing down old buildings, if it can be avoided. A restoration campaign might be in order citywide, but otr and the eastside seems to be all the city cares about. finally, the banks should cut down on some of cincinnati's "sleepy" image, but we need more. an arena at broadway commons would do us good if we had the leadership to attract an nba franchise. on cold, thursday nights in January, people could gravitate from main st. and nearby bars to the game, and back when the game is over. this location would really help out otr's bar scene and the safety issues at night, even if it be perception only. the city also needs to support the districts we have in northside, madison rd, etc by lowering licensing fees and things of that nature, so we have multiple places to go and see real crowds, not five people standing outside smoking a cig. we have to give people reasons to visit us, and if we accomplished at least the transportation thing and the entertainment, we can compete with chicago in the midwest. i believe chicago has to be the model. clean, eclectic neighborhoods, efficient, accessible transportation, and a nightlife people crave to explore. we already have the history, density, architecture and much of the infrastructure of a really major city. we may never be the first city in the midwest again, but imagine if the midwest had chicago and boston rivaling each other instead of chicago pointing at cincinnati and laughing at our decision-making.

also, i think spring grove by the west end is ripe for a warehouse district.
Man, it's great to see you out here battling for the 'Queen City'...I repped you for this great informative post---every time I read your posts, or goyguy's, or cincy-rise's (and yeah, I know you two don't always agree LOL)
I feel as though I am getting 'schooled' in Cincy 101...

You were the one that hipped me to a great thread with TONS of great Cincy pictures, and I thank you for that...now I have a question---do you think the influx of new bars/restaurants downtown and the renovations on Fountain Square, have helped Cincy? And I feel you about wanting another arena site---I'd LOVE to see the NBA here...natural rivalry right off the bat with the Cavs and Pacers, and a 3rd pro sports option, 'cause there's a void between Reds' and Bengals' seasons, and although I love watching UC,XU, and even OSU men's basketball, the NBA would really do the trick for me

Old 11-06-2008, 06:04 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times
^ Contrary to popular belief, I have a huge respect for Hillside. I really like the guy and I would bet that if him and I sat down for a cup o' joe, we could probably converse for hours.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,579,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
It is amazing how "Cincinnati's Numbers Game" thread turned into the "Cincinnati Shady Gay Bars" thread
It happens. It was sorta kinda relevant at first, because I was pointing out different things about Cincinnati in response to babigyrl15's comments, but I guess we got carried away.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Man, it's great to see you out here battling for the 'Queen City'...I repped you for this great informative post---every time I read your posts, or goyguy's, or cincy-rise's (and yeah, I know you two don't always agree LOL)
I feel as though I am getting 'schooled' in Cincy 101...

You were the one that hipped me to a great thread with TONS of great Cincy pictures, and I thank you for that...now I have a question---do you think the influx of new bars/restaurants downtown and the renovations on Fountain Square, have helped Cincy? And I feel you about wanting another arena site---I'd LOVE to see the NBA here...natural rivalry right off the bat with the Cavs and Pacers, and a 3rd pro sports option, 'cause there's a void between Reds' and Bengals' seasons, and although I love watching UC,XU, and even OSU men's basketball, the NBA would really do the trick for me
'preciate it bra...i check for you, i hadn't heard from you in a while. as for the bars and such, it's always a step in the right direction when you can get some activity downtown. i like what they're doing with fountain square, and i'm figuring it'll only get better as downtown gets stronger. i don't think the new influx will cure things, as small businesses are prone to financial distress, and the bars/restaurants aren't part of a collective district that could attract a critical mass of people. philadelphia is a perfect example imo of an older, dense city that struggles through a lot of the same b.s. as cincinnati (bad police, poor, corrupt as hell, murder-crazy, filthy, northern with southern mentalities), but because it has areas with big crowds and an overall energetic feeling in an otherwise dilapidated city, the wheels haven't completely fell off. in no way am i excusing the murder, mayhem, racism and corruption in philly, but it DOES have its act together when it comes to transportation and entertainment. i consider it critical that the banks delivers on it's promise, so critical that i don't even want to visualize what cinci would be like if it fails in its purpose. we also have to get some city strips going hard too, like main street. calhoun needs to be finished/redone sometime this century. short vine needs to get off of life support. even ludlow in northside needs a boost just to maintain right about now.

Last edited by hillside; 11-06-2008 at 10:20 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
^ Contrary to popular belief, I have a huge respect for Hillside. I really like the guy and I would bet that if him and I sat down for a cup o' joe, we could probably converse for hours.
right back at you, man. i think i've got it boiled down to one major reason we sometimes argue - i hate the people that run cincinnati and you don't. am i on?

Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
It happens. It was sorta kinda relevant at first, because I was pointing out different things about Cincinnati in response to babigyrl15's comments, but I guess we got carried away.
Ain' no thang. The subject matter cries out for a thread all its own, though.

Here in Boston the unofficial "words to live by" for real estate brokers are "Follow the f@gs." No hatin' intended, the point is that most urban neighborhoods start reviving only after Gay "pioneers" do the initial rehab of a warehouse or brownstone. The second wave of change is courtesy of artistically inclined types of whatever sexuality, the third wave consists of the young and hip, the fourth of yuppies (as prices climb), and so on and so on. It's already been brought up that Cincinnati lacks enough "LGBT" people to form that first wave, and this really does make a difference. Any place that puts exclusion from legal equality on the ballot, then sees the issue win, has a big strike against it. Throw in high-profile incidents like the attempted shutdown of an ICA exhibit for a couple of "indecent" photos and you have a city that's given a wide berth by same-sexers from out of town and forsaken by those who are native-born. Neighborhoods like Prospect Hill and Northside are examples of where there has been some settling-in by LGBT's to get the redevelopment ball rolling. And now that it's the 21st Century, some publications like Cincinnati Magazine which are prone to "model home" photo series are daring to label some of those homes' owners as partners (as in "life partner") if that's what they are. The old nudge-wink euphemisms like "bachelor" and "companion" and "longtime housemate" are on the wane. One of the keys to the city's turnaround would definitely be a continuation of this trend toward social acceptance. You can "Banks" on that.

Thanks for the props, cap'n, always appreciated!

Old 11-08-2008, 12:32 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
right back at you, man. i think i've got it boiled down to one major reason we sometimes argue - i hate the people that run cincinnati and you don't. am i on?
Agreed!

For instance, this recent talk of Mallory going to Cbus to be state treasurer is making me sick to my stomach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or