U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,484,411 times

Advertisements

My brother just bought a house there. I know someone else that lives back there as well. Just depends what part of the neighborhood you are in, like any place.

G Man
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Always cracks me up to see a thread revive when the TO has long since done whatever they decided to do...
Damn, and I just corrected someone about this the other day.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Hey, we're never satisfied. The flip side o' this is when the same topic's been gone over leventy-seven times but somebody launches yet another thread anyways Each new "help me find a nice neighborhood with good schools" that turns up I'm like, "WTF!!!!!" But that doesn't stop my peripatetic self from giving an assist.
It's good for me to hear firsthand stories out of places like Madville that I never visited much even when I called Cincy home. Makes no difference that the TO might've vanished 3 years prior.
Active readers of the goy guy know that he has a soft spot for cool architecture - whether it be the mid-city 4-unit brick box apartment houses w/their Deco details intact or P & G's "Dolly Parton Towers." Madville's visual treat in this department is the Eastminster Presbyterian Church, on Madison Rd as you arrive from the direction of Hype Park (deliberate typo 'cause I took a shine to somebody else's Freudian slip from a while back.) It isn't an imposing heap of granite like St Francis de Sales or stand-out unique like Plum St Temple. You'd probably think it would fit right in to the American Southwest from 100, give or take 20 years, ago with its shape and its purple-shingled exterior walls. Gotta love a purple church in Cincinnati.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati T View Post
I lived off Roe for 1 year. I had my house broken into more then 5 times within that year.I would say two thirds of my street were black THe other half white.
i WOULD say stay away from Madisonville, for the money you pay you are better off getting a less quality house somewhere in the near buy townships of Mariemont , Madeira , Blue Ash .

Whereever you are in Madisonville you are not far at all from a Drug Deal , Crack head, burglar , rapist , theif , troubled kid ready to cause trouble, the youth in the area are absurdly out of control as they see things happening in Avondale and feel the need to maintain there "HOOD" like theres, as if it is a cool thing. Trust me, you don't want to me in Madisonville .
But for the horrible syntax, grammar, punctuation and spelling, this should have ended any discussion of Madisonville as a place anyone would choose to acquire a house. Its quite accurate, and charming architecture aside, no clear thinking person should ever purchase property there to make a home for their family.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:59 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
My brother just bought a house there. I know someone else that lives back there as well. Just depends what part of the neighborhood you are in, like any place. G Man
Couldn't've said it better - more verbosely, maybe, but not better. The beauty and value of forums like this is that they give folks who are "clear-thinking" the complete rundown. A community like Madisonville is full of neighborly enclaves with fine homes. Those who don't look beyond the "corner boys" at the intersection of Whetsel Ave and whichever side street they're favoring lately can live with preconceived notions all they want. Posting a blanket condemnation of the entire side of town is another matter.
I'm a homeowner in an urban setting, and "things" happen. When people like me trade tales of petty theft, annoying door-to-door solicitors, etc we chalk it up to life in the city. The pro's far outweigh the con's. Of course there are some who choose not to roll with this, like the spelling/grammar/syntax-challenged person whose flaunted possessions not to mention likely attitude cried out "Rob me." Their admonitions to avoid fill-in-the-blank like the plague should be given a hearing, naturally, but not taken all that seriously. I make no presumptions about the street smarts or life experiences of any prospective in-city homeowner or tenant who seeks out the wisdom of C-D'ers. Hence replying to inquiries with the "Saturday night/Sunday afternoon test" spiel and going on and on as much as I do about what to anticipate.
Of course now I'm wondering what the TO did wind up doing.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,001 times
Default Hurd Ave. safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Where is it in Madisonville? Overall, Madisonville is reasonably safe, but it's a big neighborhood, with some areas more dicey than others. I might even be able to give you details about a specific street.

I lived on Hurd Avenue for 13 years and, other than a drug-dealing neighbor in the rental house across the street who was promptly evicted, felt pretty confident even on days when I neglected to close the back door before leaving for work.
Hey, I was considering moving to a house on Hurd Avenue. I drove by the neighborhood at 11 on Friday and Saturday night and didn't see any odd behaviors. However, I just read in the newspaper that there was a murder in Madisonville on Chandler Street on the same Saturday that I was inspecting the area.

I was just wondering if you could please give me your most honest reflections on your stay on Hurd Ave? As much info as possible would be great. Thanks

Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Couldn't've said it better - more verbosely, maybe, but not better. The beauty and value of forums like this is that they give folks who are "clear-thinking" the complete rundown. A community like Madisonville is full of neighborly enclaves with fine homes. Those who don't look beyond the "corner boys" at the intersection of Whetsel Ave and whichever side street they're favoring lately can live with preconceived notions all they want. Posting a blanket condemnation of the entire side of town is another matter.
I'm a homeowner in an urban setting, and "things" happen. When people like me trade tales of petty theft, annoying door-to-door solicitors, etc we chalk it up to life in the city. The pro's far outweigh the con's. Of course there are some who choose not to roll with this, like the spelling/grammar/syntax-challenged person whose flaunted possessions not to mention likely attitude cried out "Rob me." Their admonitions to avoid fill-in-the-blank like the plague should be given a hearing, naturally, but not taken all that seriously. I make no presumptions about the street smarts or life experiences of any prospective in-city homeowner or tenant who seeks out the wisdom of C-D'ers. Hence replying to inquiries with the "Saturday night/Sunday afternoon test" spiel and going on and on as much as I do about what to anticipate.
Of course now I'm wondering what the TO did wind up doing.
You need a rep point for this.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:36 PM

25 posts, read 64,313 times
I have lived in Madisonville for the past 11 years and love it. It's a diverse area with neighbors who are friendly, and the area is convenient to just about every place in the city. I'm 15 minutes from downtown (with one of the most user-friendly commutes in town along Columbia Parkway), 5-10 minutes from Kenwood shopping, 5-10 minutes from Indian Hill, a quick walk to Mariemont Square, and 15 minutes from Anderson Township. It's also a very short trip to access I-71 or the lateral to get to I-75.

I have NEVER had my house broken into or any other problems. My street (Britton) is wooded at the end, with lots of trees, sidewalks, cozy 1940's area houses, and a real gem. And now that a Super Walmart is moved in nearby, I expect that there will be a progression of buyers coming in that cannot afford Hyde Park or Oakley.

FYI, I know that the OP is long gone, but I think that posts like this are informative, which is why I'm bumping it up with more information.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:36 PM

350 posts, read 717,379 times
^^ That is a convenient location. I've been playing around with Google strreetviews in Madville, not sure what to make of the houses there yet.

Last edited by Cincy Rider; 04-25-2010 at 07:08 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 05:40 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times
I'm no expert when it comes to predicting trends in neighborhoods and housing, but if I were looking to buy a house where I planned to spend 10 or 15 or 20 years and with an eye to eventual resale value, I'd definitely consider the nicer streets in Madisonville. I think it's poised to become the next Oakley, which has pretty much become the next Hyde Park. In other words, an excellent location within the metro area and quite a bit of desirable historic housing stock for rehabbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati