U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 04:35 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Madeira during the late 40s and 50s. My parents did a lot of shopping in Madisonville. They knew the owner of an independent shoe store where we bought all of our shoes. They also dealt frequently with the produce store and the meat market. It was a pleasant place. In the late 50s I drove across Camargo Rd to Madisonville and Erie Ave, that was my route to UC. I remember the stately older homes in Madisonville which had a lot of character to them. My wife and I had kids immediately, we were married in Oct 1962. I still used the Camargo Rd route to Madison and then to Oakley now to work.

Then suddenly we hear of race riots, WTF! That's when I noticed the business district of Madisonville just seemed to implode. Shops seemed to close right and left. Before long it was hard to recognize a business district even existed. With the riots I switched to taking I-71 from Madeira to Norwood. So I was no longer going through Madisonville on a regular basis. A few years later we moved from Madeira to Mason. So I had even fewer occasions to visit Madisonville.

I don't claim to have any inherent knowledge of the atmosphere in Madisonville, not at all. But I continually read Madisonville will be the next Oakley due to the quality of the existing homes which can be rehabbed. OK, but someone has to rehab them. How about the rest of the neighborhood? Is the old business district going to be demolished and turned into parks? I watched Madisonville go into the skids and I am still not sure it has recovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 12:20 AM

5,627 posts, read 4,635,095 times
I lived on Bramble Ave and my husband worked at 5/3 on Duck Creek. (technically we bordered Mariemont/Madisonville). Coming down Bramble you have Whetsel on the right (goes towards Meijer/oakley) and if you go straight it dead ends. You go right and (theres a food pantry at the end) but it dead ends by the Madisonville Library (which has the LOWEST turn over in all the libraries and bedbugs). If you go left you head towards Walmart and Hyde Park.

Madisonville near the library isnt all that bad. The chinese place there is TDF! Whetsel at night is a weird corner, there is a bar there and it does get crowded but not too bad.

I think youll be fine. Madisonville is not the best or the worst place you can live. Really its street by street.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Madisonville was bad in 1970 and it worse today. Why anyone would want to move there is a mystery. It has good bus service, and the Citizens on Patrol are the model for other neighborhoods, but other than that, it has nothing going for it.

Exceptions are Arnsby and the couple blocks around it, and Whitney Place,

Old 07-28-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Madisonville was bad in 1970 and it worse today. Why anyone would want to move there is a mystery. It has good bus service, and the Citizens on Patrol are the model for other neighborhoods, but other than that, it has nothing going for it.

When I think back, I remember the business district absolutely disintegrating in the 1960s. I attributed it to the aftermath of the riots. That may have been the final blow, but I also have to remember the original Kenwood Plaza opened in 1956. I remember people such as ourselves who lived in Madeira and shopped in Madisonville made a beeline for the Plaza. Merchants in Madisonville had to take a hit, people just passed them up heading for Kenwood.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

I have to say youre wrong. Id choose Madisonville over Price Hill and ive lived in both places.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:59 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
. . . Id choose Madisonville over Price Hill and ive lived in both places.

I'd agree with that.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 4,657 times
Default Madisonville

Wilson is way off.

Yes, of course I am biased as my job is community development for Madisonville, but it also means I have the facts.

Partnering with the Cincinnati police and working with Census data, we determined that Madisonville is actually the 12th safest neighborhood in Cincinnati based on Part 1 crime (the bad kind) per person. For reference, that's better than Oakley (18th) Columbia-Tusculum and Mt. Adams. All of those neighborhoods are wonderfully safe and I have never felt threatened there, so why should I feel that way in Madisonville?

We are one of the most successfully diverse neighborhoods in Cincinnati - and have been for years. We are above average in income and educational attainment. 2/3 of our residents have white collar jobs, and 45% of our homes are owner occupied - which is 150% of the City average. And lately, many of our homes have been selling for above asking price. The majority of our homes for sale move in under 30 days.

I have never heard any of those things about our library. It has always been very vibrant and full of great programs whenever I have been there.

The truth about the emptying of the business district is that mom and pop shops died when Kenwood Mall and Hyde Park Plaza were built. Our organization and the City of Cincinnati have combined to purchase most of the land at the center of the business district at Madison and Whetsel. We are currently working with developers to put what may be a huge mix of retail and residential there. But before doing any of that, we have asked the residents what they want to see there - developers will follow the community's marching orders. So look for small, friendly, walkable and fun in Madisonville's near future.

If you've got any questions at all, feel free to call us at 271-2495.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCURC View Post
Wilson is way off.

Yes, of course I am biased as my job is community development for Madisonville, but it also means I have the facts.

Partnering with the Cincinnati police and working with Census data, we determined that Madisonville is actually the 12th safest neighborhood in Cincinnati based on Part 1 crime (the bad kind) per person. For reference, that's better than Oakley (18th) Columbia-Tusculum and Mt. Adams. All of those neighborhoods are wonderfully safe and I have never felt threatened there, so why should I feel that way in Madisonville?

We are one of the most successfully diverse neighborhoods in Cincinnati - and have been for years. We are above average in income and educational attainment. 2/3 of our residents have white collar jobs, and 45% of our homes are owner occupied - which is 150% of the City average. And lately, many of our homes have been selling for above asking price. The majority of our homes for sale move in under 30 days.

I have never heard any of those things about our library. It has always been very vibrant and full of great programs whenever I have been there.

The truth about the emptying of the business district is that mom and pop shops died when Kenwood Mall and Hyde Park Plaza were built. Our organization and the City of Cincinnati have combined to purchase most of the land at the center of the business district at Madison and Whetsel. We are currently working with developers to put what may be a huge mix of retail and residential there. But before doing any of that, we have asked the residents what they want to see there - developers will follow the community's marching orders. So look for small, friendly, walkable and fun in Madisonville's near future.

The problem is you are comparing Madisonville to the other neighborhoods in Cincinnati. Unless you have been absolutely stepping on your own feet, how can you not look relatively good, especially when quoting percentages. But let us know what Madisonville has been doing other than waiting for Oakley to grow out there?

Old 07-28-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCURC View Post
Wilson is way off.

SPAMMER.

You WOULDNT hear that about the library unless you worked there or knew someone that did- like my dad AND uncle. In the whole hamilton county library system- Madisonville has the lowest circulation of all the branches. Meaning they dont often get newer things, you have a long wait list for popular items, and people dont often choose to return things to that branch. When you look at a book or movie it has a label on it for which branch it came from SYM for Symmes or MAIN for Main. Those branches get first priority if there is a need but if not they get passed to the other branches. Madisonville just sits there.

PS- My dad was a librarian and a janitor. My uncle is a security guard. I dont claim to be an expert in this but im not some smuck with 1 post coming in here acting like i know something about our libraries.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
SPAMMER.

You WOULDNT hear that about the library unless you worked there or knew someone that did- like my dad AND uncle. In the whole hamilton county library system- Madisonville has the lowest circulation of all the branches. Meaning they dont often get newer things, you have a long wait list for popular items, and people dont often choose to return things to that branch. When you look at a book or movie it has a label on it for which branch it came from SYM for Symmes or MAIN for Main. Those branches get first priority if there is a need but if not they get passed to the other branches. Madisonville just sits there.

PS- My dad was a librarian and a janitor. My uncle is a security guard. I dont claim to be an expert in this but im not some smuck with 1 post coming in here acting like i know something about our libraries.
Someone from a madisonville development group chiming in is hardly spam. It's nice to get a fresh voice in a forum that can often be an echo chamber.

Maybe we should step back and think about why we are piling it on madisonville. I don't really know. It is probably not a place for country club types, but it is a place where a working family can buy an affordable home and live a safe and productive life.

Brill makes a good point that in the real world, people are comparing neighborhoods or even the city as a whole with communities that are outside of the city. If someone wanted something lower cost on the east side, they might be looking at madisonville, columbia township, fairfax, newtown, milford, etc. I doubt many people are trying to decide between hyde park and madisonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati