U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:46 AM

548 posts, read 608,120 times

Advertisements

I was actually just about to write that Madisonville has a very active Community Council...and then the Urban Redevelopment Corp speaks up! Thanks for chiming in MCURC! Take note, y'all. That's not one, but TWO very active community organizations in Madisonville.

I would agree with what everybody has been saying. It's a mixed bag area and Whetsel is the roughest for right now. Whetsel is also the street getting the most attention. I work for Metro and I've been to a few meetings at the Rec Center for both Metro and the Form-Based Code rewrite. The people in Madisonville are passionate and engaged in their community. I'm not sure it will get to Hyde Park or Oakley status, but it's definitely on the way up. Outside of OTR, Walnut Hills, and Clifton Heights, Madisonville is getting the most attention at City Hall and they're pushing through some positive changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 09:03 AM

31,201 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I doubt many people are trying to decide between hyde park and madisonville.
Oh, I dunno ... Granted, this was 20 years ago, but I had the choice to buy a wreck of a house in Hyde Park or a much nicer house in Madisonville, for $15,000 less. But maybe that's not a good comparison because I don't give a rat's behind for the so-called prestige of Hyde Park, and Madisonville was closer to work anyway.

As I've shared many times on this forum, there was more than one instance where I'd forget to lock my doors, leave them wide open, even, and not only had no incidences, but several times my neighbors called the cops because they knew something wasn't right. Yet my college housemate, who lived in Hyde Park, had her car broken into more than once, and several times while it was parked in her garage.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
I guess i was the person piling on.

I think that the Madisonville residents deserve a lot of credit for what they have done and are doing. As the overall situation in Cincinnati's worst suburbs has gotten worse, and the best suburbs have gotten better, Madisonville has stayed about where they were 20 years ago. I think that is a positive. But, I still don't see a reason why a person would choose to move there and take up the fight.

I guess if a person wants to gamble by buying a house to fix and flip, it would be a reasonable choice, like Price hill is, but why would a person with children and a family want to live in Madisonville as compared to say, Mt. Washington?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 4,658 times
I'm glad the conversation has become more positive. I added stats hoping that we worked with facts, not perceptions. No one will pretend that Madisonville does not need to be improved - that's why our organization exists. We work with very interested and very successful developers every day to try to take the neighborhood to the next level. They are coming to us because they see Madisonville's potential. Many big time and international businesses have seen our potential and have setup shop or expanded in Madisonville. There are spots where you need to be a bit of a pioneer, but there are also spots where you can't tell if you've left Hyde Park or Mariemont. Our goal is to make everything nice for all income levels and add a lot of vibrant businesses. It is happening. It isn't an IF it's a WHEN.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I guess i was the person piling on.

I think that the Madisonville residents deserve a lot of credit for what they have done and are doing. As the overall situation in Cincinnati's worst suburbs has gotten worse, and the best suburbs have gotten better, Madisonville has stayed about where they were 20 years ago. I think that is a positive. But, I still don't see a reason why a person would choose to move there and take up the fight.

I guess if a person wants to gamble by buying a house to fix and flip, it would be a reasonable choice, like Price hill is, but why would a person with children and a family want to live in Madisonville as compared to say, Mt. Washington?
I have to agree Madisonville has been holding its own reasonably. But even with the well built homes there is a level of expense just due to their age. Plumbing, furnaces, etc. still become issues over a period of years, as do roofs, driveways, etc. So why does someone want to fight the fight in Madisonville versus Mt Washington, Anderson Twp. etc.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
personally i don't understand wanting to take madisonville to the 'next level.' presumably that means a less affordable place with more opportunities to spend money. we have that already in plenty of other parts of the city and madisonville is already in an enviable position compared to, say, fairmount or even camp washington.

madisonville is already affordable , relatively safe, and close to a lot of jobs and regional amenities. why isn't that enough?

again thanks to mcurc for chiming in and introducing your organization to all of us idle chatterboxes

Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 4,658 times
Good point, progmac. We are definitely not looking to become the next anything. We want to be ourselves, only better. Better for everyone. Two years ago we had dozens of meetings with hundreds of residents and business owners to make sure that we knew what the community wanted to see. We created a Quality of Life Plan with that and we are using it to guide our work. You are right that a lot of Madisonville is great just the way it is, but our business district has a lot of major holes in it and we want to fill it with the stores and offices that the community has asked for. That is the biggest part of our work.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:52 PM

31,201 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
but why would a person with children and a family want to live in Madisonville as compared to say, Mt. Washington?
Location and housing costs.

There were more houses with kids than without when I lived in Madisonville. Houses are inexpensive, and that's attractive to young families. Some stay, others move when their kids are out school age and other young families move in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
personally i don't understand wanting to take madisonville to the 'next level.' presumably that means a less affordable place with more opportunities to spend money. we have that already in plenty of other parts of the city and madisonville is already in an enviable position compared to, say, fairmount or even camp washington.

madisonville is already affordable , relatively safe, and close to a lot of jobs and regional amenities. why isn't that enough
You're right that most of Madisonville's residential areas are just fine. There always should be a place in every city for affordable, working class and safe neighborhoods.

The business district could always use improvement, and I think with that has to go some kind of informational campaign to convince people throughout the city that they won't get caught up in a drive-by shooting the instant they leave their cars -- which seems to be the pervasive perception, even among some of our fellow C-D folks who should know better. Businesses can't stay afloat if no one will patronize them, which has been an issue in Madisonville in the past.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:39 PM

12 posts, read 47,613 times
I love seeing Madisonville undergo some revitalization. My family roots run deep there.

My dad was born and raised on Desmond. His aunt owned and operated a bar (they called it a salon) on Madisonville Rd and lived about it. She continued running it after the death of her husband. Who if I am not mistaken on family history was shot and killed in the salon...well over 55-60 years ago.

My grandparents sold their house on Desmond and bought a house on Vinewood during WW2. My parents bought a house on Vinewood before I was born and I was born and lived there until they moved to Deer Park. My dad inherited my grandma house and I moved into my grandmother house in 1970 and my oldest son was born there in 1980. I loved strolling my son around to the pony kegs or neighborhood grocery in nice weather.

There is a family home listed right now that is in foreclosure on Plainville and Buckingham that I have actually toyed with the idea of putting a bid in on. The only problem is the distance scares me. I have some very important responsibilities keeping me tied her at the moment and long distance renovation and rental is a lot to think about. On the other hand I would love to honor my dads cousins who are deceased by bringing the home back to what I remember it being.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:38 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
BiloxiBelle ...

Sounds like your roots do run deep. There have been several others express interest in Madisonville. The property you mention, now much rehab does it need? A small amount or a lot? Regardless the long distance is a problem. Input an inquiry on the forum for someone to enter into a joint purchase of the property with you. Unusual maybe, but might be to both of your interests.

They could be local and actually live in the house while the rennovation is going on. The inconvenience of the rennovation can be part of their contribution.

I couldn't tell whether you had any interest in moving back here. My conclusion was NO or that is what you would be thinking of. It sounds to me like preserving the old homestead is more in line with your interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati