Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 80,942 times

Advertisements

While looking at web sites for homes in the Amelia area, we somehow stumbled across a home in Madisonville...and my wife immediately fell in love with it....she says it speaks to her

We've checked the place out, the immediate neighborhood seems quiet with other well maintained homes on the street...but it seems to be kind of "the eye of the storm" situation. The surrounding areas near by look a bit scary. My question is are things getting better or worse in the Madisonville area? If things have stabilized or are looking up, it might not be a bad house for us...otherwise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 12:01 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,460 times
Things there has improved over the years. even though there was a shooting today. that's the first i've heard of anything there for many months. Heck steve horsemeyer lives there. He's a channel 12 meteorologist.

Last edited by unusualfire; 11-12-2008 at 12:48 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 12:17 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Where is it in Madisonville? Overall, Madisonville is reasonably safe, but it's a big neighborhood, with some areas more dicey than others. I might even be able to give you details about a specific street.

I lived on Hurd Avenue for 13 years and, other than a drug-dealing neighbor in the rental house across the street who was promptly evicted, felt pretty confident even on days when I neglected to close the back door before leaving for work.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Where is it in Madisonville? Overall, Madisonville is reasonably safe, but it's a big neighborhood, with some areas more dicey than others. I might even be able to give you details about a specific street.

I lived on Hurd Avenue for 13 years and, other than a drug-dealing neighbor in the rental house across the street who was promptly evicted, felt pretty confident even on days when I neglected to close the back door before leaving for work.
It's a little side street, but it's between Erie & Bramble Avs.

My wife worked up in the Duck Creek area for several years, up until about 2 years ago, and she's basing her opinion of the whole Madisonville area on that. I've pointed out the same thing you said...it's a big area and her area of experience does not necessarily apply to the whole area.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:24 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
Whetsel Ave and vicinity is the only real "hot spot" thereabouts lately. The neighborhood is starting to coalesce more in terms of putting heat on the dealers and loiterers. Were I in your shoes I'd proceed, but with caution.

Experienced readers of goyguy posts can skip this part.
My advice to prospective home buyers, particularly in urban communities, is always to take the Saturday/Sunday test. Drive or walk around the neighborhood on a Saturday at around 11 PM, then again on a Sunday in mid-afternoon. Do you experience a general sense of security? Are a lot of people outside, and what are they doing? At night, are most of the houses dark or is there party noise? During the afternoon, are folks working in their yards or on their cars or is no one around? Are they "conversating," or speaking as they pass, or keeping to themselves? What's the overall reaction to you, strangers on their block?

Also, Madisonville - like many post-2001 Cincinnati areas - has a "mixed" demographic composition a la College Hill, Roselawn, Kennedy Hts, Westwood, etc etc. It's a fairly safe presumption that anybody house hunting in Amelia is "of the Caucasian persuasion." Are you familiar with aspects of AA culture which differ from the mainstream (i.e. religious customs, musical genres, soul food, et al) or would everything be new? Would you feel out of place as part of a minority population, perhaps the "tokens" on your street? Have you ever been given an icy glare, or been treated too nicely, based only on your skin tone? These are questions that non-Whites grapple with as a matter of routine when contemplating a new job or housing relocation, but now that shoe is on your foot. Pondering them would be wise before you move toward purchasing a house. If you can honestly say you'd be comfortable given those circumstances, and the Saturday/Sunday test goes well, AND if you don't have school-aged kids, go ahead.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:23 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandoz View Post
It's a little side street, but it's between Erie & Bramble Avs.
In that little pocket of houses including Adelphi, Whitney, etc.? There are some lovely houses there, and generally it seems well-kept, people seemed to be friendly, etc.

My first-hand history of that area is about six or seven years old, but a former Hurd Avenue neighbor moved over to a larger house on Lucerne Avenue for a couple of years. She hated it and moved, but because soon afterward she dropped off the face of the earth I don't know why she moved. She did have some issues with her immediate neighbors and with kids hanging out at the corner of Roe and Lucerne.

But I'd walk from my house to her house a couple of times a week, and never saw anything that alarmed me.

Another friend, several years before that, lived at the corner of Roe and Whetsel and loved it.

Madisonville has always been a mixed neighborhood, since it was founded in 1809; some pockets of Madisonville aren't as mixed as others, but everyone I met while living there for 13 years seemed to be comfortable with the others' cultures, so don't worry about that.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:39 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,640 times
Home: Welcome to Madisonville just a good link for current news. Hope it helps!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Whetsel Ave and vicinity is the only real "hot spot" thereabouts lately. The neighborhood is starting to coalesce more in terms of putting heat on the dealers and loiterers. Were I in your shoes I'd proceed, but with caution.

Experienced readers of goyguy posts can skip this part.
My advice to prospective home buyers, particularly in urban communities, is always to take the Saturday/Sunday test. Drive or walk around the neighborhood on a Saturday at around 11 PM, then again on a Sunday in mid-afternoon. Do you experience a general sense of security? Are a lot of people outside, and what are they doing? At night, are most of the houses dark or is there party noise? During the afternoon, are folks working in their yards or on their cars or is no one around? Are they "conversating," or speaking as they pass, or keeping to themselves? What's the overall reaction to you, strangers on their block?

Also, Madisonville - like many post-2001 Cincinnati areas - has a "mixed" demographic composition a la College Hill, Roselawn, Kennedy Hts, Westwood, etc etc. It's a fairly safe presumption that anybody house hunting in Amelia is "of the Caucasian persuasion." Are you familiar with aspects of AA culture which differ from the mainstream (i.e. religious customs, musical genres, soul food, et al) or would everything be new? Would you feel out of place as part of a minority population, perhaps the "tokens" on your street? Have you ever been given an icy glare, or been treated too nicely, based only on your skin tone? These are questions that non-Whites grapple with as a matter of routine when contemplating a new job or housing relocation, but now that shoe is on your foot. Pondering them would be wise before you move toward purchasing a house. If you can honestly say you'd be comfortable given those circumstances, and the Saturday/Sunday test goes well, AND if you don't have school-aged kids, go ahead.
As far as the Sunday part of the test, been there, done that...at about 4 in the afternoon did not see a soul within a block of the place, for a span of about 15 minutes. Good idea on the Saturday night part of the test.

Coming out of the west end of Newport, we're not totally unfamiliar with the issues you mention. We have no problem dealing with the demographic issues...other than how we would be received. The schools are not an issue..the daughter still in the nest is 28. The reason for looking at Amelia was strictly a commute issue...both wife and daughter work in that area.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
In that little pocket of houses including Adelphi, Whitney, etc.? There are some lovely houses there, and generally it seems well-kept, people seemed to be friendly, etc.

My first-hand history of that area is about six or seven years old, but a former Hurd Avenue neighbor moved over to a larger house on Lucerne Avenue for a couple of years. She hated it and moved, but because soon afterward she dropped off the face of the earth I don't know why she moved. She did have some issues with her immediate neighbors and with kids hanging out at the corner of Roe and Lucerne.

But I'd walk from my house to her house a couple of times a week, and never saw anything that alarmed me.

Another friend, several years before that, lived at the corner of Roe and Whetsel and loved it.

Madisonville has always been a mixed neighborhood, since it was founded in 1809; some pockets of Madisonville aren't as mixed as others, but everyone I met while living there for 13 years seemed to be comfortable with the others' cultures, so don't worry about that.
That is exactly the neighborhood.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Home: Welcome to Madisonville just a good link for current news. Hope it helps!

Thanks. We'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati