U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:22 PM

11 posts, read 57,351 times

Advertisements

Have you been to Hyde Park, Gaslight, or Mt Adams? And Wyoming is a small town, really not urban at all. How exactly are you defining diverse? Urban (ish, in some cases), but diverse? Not so much. I'd have to add East Walnut Hills to that list, which is actually urban and diverse, with a lot of varied architecture to choose from.

Thirding Mariemont, too. It's a great little town, although very much NOT diverse if that's important to you. It's sort of snooty and hard to be "new" in, too, but there are so many nice amenities and such a pretty atmosphere that I could deal with that part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 PM

682 posts, read 1,391,682 times
Price Hill Will
I think you are absolutely right about Price Hill, often people from Cincinnati don't see the assets they have. We looked at Price Hill and I just couldnt find the "right house". As it was we settled for a great house in North Fairmont, despite the fact I was told it was an awful neighborhood full of drug dealers and crime. We found a great pocket of a neighborhood off Harrison. Just a quick check on of my block was mostly proffessional people and not one of my neighbors Mercedes or Jaguar's have been stolen.

The very people who "pan" neighborhoods like Price Hill, Fairmont, Dayton street and OTR will be the same people in a few years, bemoaning the fact they can't afford to buy there. I saw the same thing happen in our neighborhood In indianapolis,nobody wanted to live in our neighborhood when we arrived in 2000, today you cant touch a
house for less than 200K.

It only takes a few dedicated people, some good PR,and 'perceptions' change quickly.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:30 PM

77 posts, read 169,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haileigh32 View Post
I second this. No one ever mentions mariemont on here and I love that town

And Price hill does suck absolutely HIV infected prostitutes
Sorry P.H ain't the Netherlands or Vegas. I hope you have good health insurance to take care of that.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM

561 posts, read 1,784,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningToCincy View Post
Have you been to Hyde Park, Gaslight, or Mt Adams? ... How exactly are you defining diverse? Urban (ish, in some cases), but diverse? Not so much.
I have to disagree with this, because diversity is about more than race and ethnicity. In the case of places like Mt Adams and HP/Oakley/MTL you have very diverse neighborhoods by numerous measures. Housing type, land use, price, age, marital status, etc. etc.

One of the things that's really confused me about moving to Cincinnati is that locals seem to regard certain neighborhoods (like Hyde Park) as these exclusive luxury enclaves. But by national standards, these neighborhoods are quite mixed and eclectic. Yes, you have $2,000,000 mansions - but they are on the same street as $300,000 houses!! Yes, you have $1,000,000 condos under construction, but they literally overlook $500/month apartments!! In other parts of the country, this would be unheard of!! It's amazingly diverse in these respects.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,857,018 times
Mt. Adams, Clifton, and Certain parts of HP can be very diverse. You might have a case with HP, but not so much with Clifton and Mt. Adams.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 PM

35 posts, read 86,186 times
Default You missed a lot

Where is Mariemont? Terrace Park? Madiera? Anderson Township? Esp. if people are really looking at good schools.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:26 PM

710 posts, read 2,655,244 times
Terrace Park has one of the highest, if not the highest homicide rate in the region for this year, over double the rate of the City of Cincinnati.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:26 AM

31,333 posts, read 57,569,985 times
Really? Is it because they're all bitter because they can't afford to live in Indian Hill? Or because they have to send their kids to school with the rabble from Fairfax? [/sarcasm]

Actually, that's kind of a fascinating statistic -- but then again, one murder in Terrace Park would give it a higher homicide rate per capita than Cincinnati's.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 PM

246 posts, read 884,862 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
Terrace Park has one of the highest, if not the highest homicide rate in the region for this year, over double the rate of the City of Cincinnati.
Since you've cross-posted this several places, I guess I will too. I'd love to see your source for this; I'd be astonished if this were true. If it is, statistically, well, you know the quote about lies, d****d lies, and statistics

According to the following link, the murder risk in Terrace Park is an 8 (compared to 100 as a national average). The same site ranks the murder risk for the city of Cincinnati as 178.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last month's murder-suicide involving a sick, elderly couple notwithstanding, I doubt that the folks of Terrace Park hide under their silk sheets in their mansions and quake with fear that someone's coming for them. . . .

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 06:40 AM..

Old 12-27-2008, 01:27 AM

95 posts, read 348,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzledmomofboys View Post
Where is Mariemont? Terrace Park? Madiera? Anderson Township? Esp. if people are really looking at good schools.

wtf are u talking about, ? There population could be less then the amount of murders that have happend in Avondale,
u must be troll or a wannabe funny guy,.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati