U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 06:56 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,965,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
A followup. We realized last week our old cat was going blind. After a few days of watching her bump into all of the walls in the house and not knowing where she was, we realized it was time to put her down. So we did that this week. After only two days of not having the cat around, when you have had one for about 20 years, it gave us a big empty feeling. So off today we went to the SPCA. Came home with an adult, female, DSH, about the same size and appearance of the one we lost but darker in color. For about the last 10 hours she has been exploring our house. She is already jumping up into the lap of my wife in her recliner to be pet. She is an adult, not a kitten. I believe once acclimated to her new surroundings she will be fine. Us animal parents just have to realize we need them.
kj, so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. You did the right thing, not allowing her to suffer, but I know how hard that is. Wonderful that you adopted an adult--there are so many of them needing homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:37 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,408,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
kj, so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. You did the right thing, not allowing her to suffer, but I know how hard that is. Wonderful that you adopted an adult--there are so many of them needing homes.
Yes, we went to the SPCA in Sharonville, a very nice operation. You are right, they have lots of adult cats. Realized we had to chose one and get out of there before we came home with multiple. When you go through the room with the cages and they all stick their paws out looking for some attention and affection it grabs you.

By the way, whether due to overcrowding or what, that SPCA is running a special adoption $10 cats, $20 dogs, what a bargain. Then I found out for seniors they have another program so our cat was free, and that included all of the innoculations, ID chip, etc. I will have to send them a donation as they do a great job.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:53 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,495,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes, we went to the SPCA in Sharonville, a very nice operation. You are right, they have lots of adult cats. Realized we had to chose one and get out of there before we came home with multiple. When you go through the room with the cages and they all stick their paws out looking for some attention and affection it grabs you.

By the way, whether due to overcrowding or what, that SPCA is running a special adoption $10 cats, $20 dogs, what a bargain. Then I found out for seniors they have another program so our cat was free, and that included all of the innoculations, ID chip, etc. I will have to send them a donation as they do a great job.

KJ, you should become acquainted with Cat Calls, Dr. Lawrence's mobile cat clininc. She only charges a little bit more than a trip to the vet and you have no trauma to the cat and no waiting in the vet's lounge, and you have her full attention.

CatCalls / About Us

Old 11-05-2011, 08:44 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,408,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
KJ, you should become acquainted with Cat Calls, Dr. Lawrence's mobile cat clininc. She only charges a little bit more than a trip to the vet and you have no trauma to the cat and no waiting in the vet's lounge, and you have her full attention.

CatCalls / About Us
Wilson... appreciate the advice and will keep the ID on file. But frankly, maybe just blind luck, the cat we just lost had not been ouf of the house in 18 years. After the initial round of shots, etc. she simply had not been sick.

A couple of months ago we noticed a swelling on the side of her head. Took her to a local vet who said it was a salivary gland cyst. She took a specimen, tested and said it was not cancerous. Gave her antibiotics, but the cyst did not go down. A few weeks later we notice a definite weeping from her one eye. Back to the vet, get eye drops, and she drains the cyst somewhat. Then we notice nothing is working and the cat is going blind, just stumbling into everything in an environment she is very familiar with.

Now I am an engineer and not a doctor, but I learned a long time ago to look for the cause and effect. If you see an effect, look for the cause, and if things keep compounding go back to the original cause. 9 times out of 10 the problem will trace back to the original cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati