U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:35 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choyclm View Post
We have children, so a good school district is a priority.
As far as a city goes, I'd love to be able to leave a house and walk to a park, or to a coffee shop, and not have to pack the kids in the car every time we want to leave the house. Budget for the house is probably around 400K, but is a little flexible.!
Let's see.

Montgomery and Blue Ash are pretty good areas with excellent schools. However, they are NOT great walking areas.

Anderson would be another area. Great schools but few good walking areas.

Mariemont might be more what you are looking for. There are a lot of great walking areas and the schools are excellent. Housing and taxes are pretty high in the town.

Do realize that local income taxes can be very considerable. One advantage of Anderson is that it remains an unincorporated area and the taxes are low in comparison with other areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM

11 posts, read 57,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmarider View Post
Just a quck comment on the commute from northern Kentucky. One person commented that they have a friend that lives there and it sometimes takes an hour to make the trip. I have made that same commute every day for 10 years and it is usually 25 minutes (its only 17 miles from the river to Blue Ash, and that is if you are going to the very north end of it). Of course there have been times when because of snow or an accident the trip has been longer, but when such things happen everyones trip is longer no matter where you live. I'd give Park Hills a look. It has everything you asked for and is just a wonderfull place. Also compare the property taxes there to some other communities and I think you will impressed. Honstly all of the communities mentioned are quite nice and I have lived in some of them myself. I think though you also wanted to be near downtown in case you go back to work and all of the other communities, though closer to Blue Ash, are farther from downtown and a few are quite a good distance away. For me, Park Hills is just a rare gem in a perfect location. Also be aware of the what the surrounding area is like. Some of these suggestions, while very nice, are a pocket of great neighborhood in a sea of not so good.

Doug
Doug - not to derail the thread, but we'll be buying early next year and I've seen a few houses listed in Park Hills. It seems like a nice area that we know nothing about. I've been leaning heavily toward Mariemont, but it's hard to get past the expense per square foot. We just love the small town feel so close to downtown. What kinds of things are there to do in Park Hills? Is there a central downtown-ish area with shops and things? Also, do you know if there's a bus line to downtown from PH? We have a 2-year-old and a new baby - do you notice other people with very young kids? I guess I've had the idea that PH was more of a retirement-aged area. I'd love to hear more about this area, myself!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:30 PM

310 posts, read 1,060,010 times
Default Park Hills and TANK

Here's the website for TANK which handles the bus routes in Northern Kentucky and into Cincinnati. I believe they have bus stops on Dixie Highway in Park Hills.

TANK - Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky > Home

Good luck!

Mike

Old 11-25-2008, 04:45 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,844,339 times
ReturningToCincy, Mariemont is definitely one of the most safe bets you can make with buying property!

Check out the Jordan Park condos ...

Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Check out the Jordan Park condos ...
Ugh. Those condos are an abomination.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:06 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,844,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ugh. Those condos are an abomination.
  • They were built to Mariemont's current architectural patterns, which seem to be popular in this region.
  • They are priced well for the area.
  • They've sold, I belive 21 out of 26 units, in under 12 months. Ridiculous.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Whatever. I don't think condos of that size belong in that particular area of Mariemont. And as for them being priced well for the area, certainly the residents those condos displaced could not afford to buy one.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,787 times
Hello it's Doug again.

No Park Hills is not a retirment neighborhood. In fact is a very young neighborhood and there are lots of kids. You can walk to Devou Park which has an 18 hole golf course. Also within and easy walk is Trolly park which has a playground for kids. It does not have a downtown as it is a very small residential community. It is just across the river, 5 minutes tops, from downtown cincinnati and just down the hill is Mainstrasse in Covington which is full of restaurants, galleries and gift shops. It is also just off the interstate so getting anywhere is a snap. What it really has above many other communities is a certain old world charm and low taxes (compared to some Ohio communities). It is the perfect neighborhood for strolling around. As for what there is to do there as I said it is residential. The plus side is that whatever you may want to do you can easily get there from Park Hills. There is a wonderful home for sale right now in your price range on one of the nicer streets called Rose Circle. Homes for sale don't last long, you might want to give it a look on the MLS. http://nky.rapmls.com Listing #361883.

As for bus lines, the system is called TANK (Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky) and does go to Cincinnati from Park Hills.

In any case, when you come to look around give it a look.

Last edited by karmarider; 12-04-2008 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: fix link

Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM

35 posts, read 85,982 times
Default moving to Cincinnati

I would look at Terrace Park before Mariemont. We have lived in TP for 3 years, and sadly have to move due to a transfer. My house isn't in the same price range that you are looking at, so this is a honest review. Mariemont is lovely, and we have lots of friends there, but you can't beat TP for the neighborhood and the kids. Even our friends in Mariemont are amazed at the support... and the fact that all of our kids sports are right here... my 7 year old rode his bike to soccer practice all fall. It is the safest place I have ever lived. Mariemont Schools as a whole are excellent, but if you look at TP Elementary versus even the others in our district, you will see why we love it here. And, as a mom, you just can't beat the support you will get.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:27 PM

710 posts, read 2,649,044 times
Terrace Park has one of the highest, if not the highest homicide rate in the region for this year, over double the rate of the City of Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati