U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:41 AM

9 posts, read 21,750 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are relocating to Cincinnati in the spring, and we're looking for some advice on areas to purchase a home. He will be working in Blue Ash, and we'd like to keep his commute short. I'm not currently working, but don't want to be too far away from downtown for commuting purposes whenever I do go back to work. We have children, so a good school district is a priority.

As far as a city goes, I'd love to be able to leave a house and walk to a park, or to a coffee shop, and not have to pack the kids in the car every time we want to leave the house. Budget for the house is probably around 400K, but is a little flexible.

I've read some good things about the communities of Blue Ash and Montgomery as far as the school system goes, but was curious as to whether they also fit the bill for being walking friendly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM

310 posts, read 1,060,010 times
Default Cincinnati Move

Here are a few websites that may help you with school information.

Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools.

Ohio Public School Rankings

Hope these help!

Also, consider Loveland in your seaches.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choyclm View Post
Hi. My husband and I are relocating to Cincinnati in the spring, and we're looking for some advice on areas to purchase a home. He will be working in Blue Ash, and we'd like to keep his commute short. I'm not currently working, but don't want to be too far away from downtown for commuting purposes whenever I do go back to work. We have children, so a good school district is a priority.

As far as a city goes, I'd love to be able to leave a house and walk to a park, or to a coffee shop, and not have to pack the kids in the car every time we want to leave the house. Budget for the house is probably around 400K, but is a little flexible.

I've read some good things about the communities of Blue Ash and Montgomery as far as the school system goes, but was curious as to whether they also fit the bill for being walking friendly. Thanks!
I have the perfect community for you. I also work in Blue Ash and I live in Park Hills Kentucky. It is incredible. Devou and Trolly park with walking distance. Everyone who lives there goes for evening strolls it seems. Very safe and for 400K you can get a very nice home on the boulevard, the nicest area in Park Hills. It is an easy 25 minute commute straight up I71. I wouldn't live anywhere else. City sposored Easter egg hunt, Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Trolly Park with horse carriage rides around the neighborhood, Labor Day picnic in the park are just a few of the city sponsored events. Also you can walk to the outdoor pavillian (Band Shell) for summer evening concerts. There is just nowhere else like it. There are also many civic organization such as the Avant Gardners clud if such things appeal to you. I'm telling you it is best kept secret in the Tri-state. Always peasceful, always quiet, and always safe. Contact me at karmarider@aol.com and I'll send you some pics. Many houses for sale right now at bargain prices compared to a few years ago. To give you an idea, picture one of the little ceramic Christmas villages people set out for the holidays. It really looks like that! Oh and by the way it is 5 minutes from downtown. In fact many streets have a river and city view as the whole community sits on a hill above the Ohio River.

Doug

P.S. No I am not a realtor and am not selling my house. I just love the area.

Last edited by karmarider; 11-17-2008 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 11-17-2008, 02:54 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,484,759 times
If you want to keep your commute short, dont move to NKY. I work in Blue Ash and i live in Norwood. My commute is commonly at or under 20 minutes. My friend who i work with lives in Covington, just across the river and sometimes takes almost an hour to get home. Also, Norwood has decent prices and if you know the right part of town it is just as nice and quiet as Hyde Park.

G Man

Old 11-17-2008, 03:30 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,669,713 times
If your DH will be working in Blue Ash and you want a short commute I'd look for a home in Blue Ash or Montgomery. You can afford a nice home in either community with your stated budget. Both communities feed into the Sycamore School District which is consistently one of the best in the area - it's received the excellent rating from the state of Ohio for years now. I live in Montgomery and from my house I can walk to two parks and a nature preserve within a few minutes. If you walk a bit farther you get to a strip mall containing Kroger, a pancake house, bread store, ice cream parlor, bank, barbershop, etc. There's also a community pool we walk or bike to. The area is very safe, clean, and family friendly. I really don't believe you could go wrong in either community.
If you need any more info please feel freee to DM me and I'll do my best to help.
Best wishes!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 PM

710 posts, read 2,649,044 times
go with wyoming

Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 AM

9 posts, read 21,750 times
Wow - thanks for all of this information. You all were very helpful. We'll probably be coming out to Ohio in December to start looking at houses and neighborhoods, so this will give us a good place to start. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:53 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,933,946 times
Ditto on all the reco's, but despite being a Wyoming native I'd put my hometown behind Montgomery on your shopping list. Might as well be "right at" Blue Ash if not right in the town itself.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:29 AM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Somewhere else to consider would be Madeira, which has more of a self-contained small-town feel similar to Wyoming, and a nifty little downtown.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,787 times
Just a quck comment on the commute from northern Kentucky. One person commented that they have a friend that lives there and it sometimes takes an hour to make the trip. I have made that same commute every day for 10 years and it is usually 25 minutes (its only 17 miles from the river to Blue Ash, and that is if you are going to the very north end of it). Of course there have been times when because of snow or an accident the trip has been longer, but when such things happen everyones trip is longer no matter where you live. I'd give Park Hills a look. It has everything you asked for and is just a wonderfull place. Also compare the property taxes there to some other communities and I think you will impressed. Honstly all of the communities mentioned are quite nice and I have lived in some of them myself. I think though you also wanted to be near downtown in case you go back to work and all of the other communities, though closer to Blue Ash, are farther from downtown and a few are quite a good distance away. For me, Park Hills is just a rare gem in a perfect location. Also be aware of the what the surrounding area is like. Some of these suggestions, while very nice, are a pocket of great neighborhood in a sea of not so good.

Doug

Last edited by karmarider; 11-19-2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati