U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:53 AM

455 posts, read 1,668,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The Hyde Park store is definately NOT just a spiffed up version of 1980. With its prepared food area, bakery, cheese shop, shushi bar etc.

As far as whole foods is concerned -- evidently, the margins are just not there. There is a Wild Oats store not too far from the H.P. Kroger - I know it is well patronized but I don't know how profitable it is $.

And don't forget the Hyde Park store covers more than just Hyde Park - people from parts of Pleasant Ridge, Madisonville and Oakley shop there also.
Sorry, but the HP Kroger is the equivelent of a ranch home in Pisgah (or however you spell it) and the things you are listing can be found in almost any Kroger outside of Bellevue, Kentucky. I think it is pretty simple as to why Kenwood was chosen for this latest endeavor and it seems less than genius. New development + Crate and Barrel with I-71 view = $$$. If only they took into account that most people who exist north of that specific exit will probably still only consider the ready-made option a novelty while shopping for 20lbs of meat and stouffers entres to store in the second freezer of their new build, some of the people with the same money who might be a bit more daring (yes Madisonville, Oakley and Pleasant Ridge included) all the way into downtown would probably not shop anywhere else.

When I lived downtown there really wasn't any more attractive alternative to HP and this is the reason for my continued response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 02:15 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times
Prices at Whole Foods blow away Kroger and especially Bigg's.

I'm with Husker on this, HP Kroger is maybe a little nicer than than let's say Bellevue (which isn't saying much), but the Bigg's in HP gives it a run for its money.

I'll be glad when they renovate the Uptown Kroger, its way overdue!

Old 11-23-2008, 04:24 PM

526 posts, read 1,259,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
Sorry, but the HP Kroger is the equivelent of a ranch home in Pisgah (or however you spell it) and the things you are listing can be found in almost any Kroger outside of Bellevue, Kentucky.
As Kroger employee, I appreciate your feedback and impression of our local stores... But sorry, I spend a lot of time at many of the local stores; I've been to Dent, Western Hills, Harrision, Westwood (McHenry and Harrison), Ferguson, Clifton, Mt. Airy, Montfort Heights, North College Hill, Finneytown, Highland Heights, Beechmont and probably others. NONE of those stores have the features offered by Hyde Park and many of those are new within the last 4 years.

Now Blue Ash and Anderson -- those DO have what HP offers.

It's really a simple matter of deographics. As someone who likes some of the offerings at HP and Blue Ash, this frustrates me somewhat. Sure wish a store west of I-75 would have shushi! They DO have geotta but ist not quite the same though.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:53 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Is anyone actually excited about the new Kroger opening in Kenwood? I just don't get all of the hoopla about this "fresh fare". I go to the grocery store to buy food to cook. If I wanted prepared foods, I'd go to a restaurant.
I pretty much feel the same about Krogers as I do about Delta. They are both monopolies that cost Cincinnatians a lot of money. When I walk into the Anderson store, my reaction is that it is a great store ... but thank heavens I don't have to pay the prices. Honestly, prices in Cincinnati and about 15% higher than in Chicago as there are FEW independent options.

I have talked to a number of friends about the various Kroger concepts. People who love to cook find the new fresh concept to be ridiculous. Why pay for products that I can produce at home at a fraction of the price?

On the other hand, the folks who dislike cooking realize that they can go into the market and get a meal at a fraction of going out to eat. As I can work 12-14 hour days, I can really appreciate having a hot meal available 10-15 minutes away with little effort.

At least Kroger's is trying something different - like HEB and other succressful grocers, they are trying to offer formats in different neighborhoods.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:59 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
why pay for products that i can produce at home at a fraction of the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
folks who dislike cooking realize that they can go into the market and get a meal at a fraction of going out to eat. As i can work 12-14 hour days, i can really appreciate having a hot meal available 10-15 minutes away with little effort.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:02 AM

561 posts, read 1,779,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
I guess it just seems strange to me that Kroger is based here in Cincinnati and most of them I have visited are like the Hyde Park location or the Sharonville one on 42 near where I work... sure they have done some things recently (coffee/lounge area) but you still get the feeling you are walking into 1980, when many of the ones in Columbus were huge Super-Krogers that may as well have a disco inside of them by comparison.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way! When I moved to Cincy- having never been to a Kroger - people kept talking about how the nearby Kroger (Hyde Park/Oakley) was really nice and was where most people shopped. Needless to say, we were very confused, as the Hyde Park Kroger generally has the look and feel of a discount chain.

Anyway, I don't really have an desire to "bash" Kroger. However, it is my honest opinion that Kroger's Cincinnati stores are surprisingly inferior to my expectations of a city's "primary" grocery chain.

I hope that Kroger looks at other dominant chains (such as Publix and Wegmans) for ideas about how to improve cleanliness, selection, layout, decoration, and so forth. In some ways, I think the new "Fresh Fare" has borrowed a bit from Wegmans, which is nice.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:32 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Anyway, I don't really have an desire to "bash" Kroger. However, it is my honest opinion that Kroger's Cincinnati stores are surprisingly inferior to my expectations of a city's "primary" grocery chain.

I hope that Kroger looks at other dominant chains (such as Publix and Wegmans) for ideas about how to improve cleanliness, selection, layout, decoration, and so forth. In some ways, I think the new "Fresh Fare" has borrowed a bit from Wegmans, which is nice.
When a large company has a dominant market share in a market (like Kroger's), what is the motivation to improve? Cincinnati **GREATLY SUFFERS** from the lack of independent grocery stores (and markets) that you see in most other midwestern cities. I am not talking about the various megamarts (Meijer, Supervalu (Biggs), or Walmart) or the destination location (Jungle Jim's).

I have not been to the HP store in many years. I would say that the recently opened Anderson store on the old Beechmont Mall site is a first class store that would march up quite well with any Publix store and quite a few Wegman's.

I have been to some pretty ratty Publix stores over the years (and some Krogers).

Old 12-08-2008, 07:39 AM

561 posts, read 1,779,381 times
^ This weekend, I went to the Anderson Kroger mentioned above. It was amazingly superior to the Hyde Park store! It feels like a totally different chain. In fact, I'd argue that the design/layout/selection is also superior to the Kenwood Fresh Fare concept.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:23 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,124,416 times
I know that Kroger's a Cincinnati institution, but Meijer beats them on both price and quality.

A little off topic, but has anyone been to the Kroger on Vine St? Whew, that store could use a revamp. Maybe they'll clean it up a bit when 3CDC makes their way up there.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 PM

405 posts, read 753,674 times
The new Kenwood Kroger has some good features. If you go in the store and go to the right, you find an entirely new concept for Krogers. But, if you go over to the left, it is the same old Kroger's stuff. It is like a hybrid of old and new, not an integration. The best part of the new side is the Cheese shop. If you have some excess money to spend on things like cheese and crackers, this is probably the best cheese store in Cincinnati. They have a huge selection of gourmet cheeses plus all sorts of crunchy good stuff. It is ALMOST enough to make me drive 20 minutes once a month for a treat. But, whoever designed the parking lot at that mall was an idiot. It is a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati