U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 AM

41 posts, read 101,702 times

Advertisements

I agree, the parking is very strange -- If the holiday mall season is back to normal next year, you probably can't even find a spot near the grocery store!

I didn't find anything great at all about this store. The Kroger Marketplace in Lebanon is just as nice and has just as good of a selection on produce, seafood, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 PM

526 posts, read 1,260,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way! When I moved to Cincy- having never been to a Kroger - people kept talking about how the nearby Kroger (Hyde Park/Oakley) was really nice and was where most people shopped. Needless to say, we were very confused, as the Hyde Park Kroger generally has the look and feel of a discount chain. ....

[Kroger is] surprisingly inferior to my expectations of a city's "primary" grocery chain.

I hope that Kroger looks at other dominant chains (such as Publix and Wegmans) for ideas about how to improve cleanliness, selection, layout, decoration, and so forth. In some ways, I think the new "Fresh Fare" has borrowed a bit from Wegmans, which is nice.
Definately -- Kroger constantly monitors other its competition as well as other retailers.
Two things you have to bear in mind.. 1st, not all Kroger, Wegmant, Meijer, etc are the same. Store design and operations are strongly determined by the neighborhood in which they operate. So trying to compare a Kroger in, say, Westwood with a Wegmans in the equivalent of West Chester would be stupid - there just isn't any comparison.

The second concept is Kroger has different brand names ranging from Food 4 less to Kroger to Market Place to Fred Meyer. Again, comparing an upscale Wegmans to a downscale Kroger may not be helpful. Kroger has plenty of upscale impressive store formats.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Why Prepared Food? Time my friend, Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I have talked to a number of friends about the various Kroger concepts. People who love to cook find the new fresh concept to be ridiculous. Why pay for products that I can produce at home at a fraction of the price?
Ok, so you have a two income family or a single person. Works all day; gets home at say 5:30. It sure is convenient to be able to open some containers and enjoy a nutritious (as compared to Mc-Wendys) rather than to start cooking. Even the most simple recipe takes at least 30-45 minutes to prepare.

Don't forget, time is money also.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,848,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Ok, so you have a two income family or a single person. Works all day; gets home at say 5:30. It sure is convenient to be able to open some containers and enjoy a nutritious (as compared to Mc-Wendys) rather than to start cooking. Even the most simple recipe takes at least 30-45 minutes to prepare.
A wedge salad - the item that I referred to - takes perhaps 45 seconds to prepare.

I get home at 8 pm most night and have a hot meal by 8:30pm. I *might* be tempted to buy "take out" but not at Kroger's prices.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A wedge salad - the item that I referred to - takes perhaps 45 seconds to prepare.

I get home at 8 pm most night and have a hot meal by 8:30pm. I *might* be tempted to buy "take out" but not at Kroger's prices.
Well you wouldn'd be a very good candidate then would you. Most people like a little bit more for supper.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:39 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,428,295 times
I go to Sams and get a whole rotisserie chicken for $4.84. Piping hot, juicy, and less than I can prepare it for at home, and delicious. When I have my three meals from it, I make the scraps into a chicken pot pie with some veggies and a pie crust and have two more meals.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 PM

455 posts, read 1,669,328 times
I was originally going to have/order a ready-meal from Rusty Bucket, or even thought Max & Erma might be good. Instead, we had a delightful little ready-dinner from PF Chang this evening... no parking issues at Rookwood.

You see?

Kroger needs to do some thinking for this location.

EDIT for Don: I know what the response is going to be, "how much more did you pay?", but for most people in Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt. Lookout etc. it really is not a matter of cost and I would be amused if anyone else south (Norwood/Pleasant Ridge) of the Kenwood exit would want to venture up there for groceries on a regular basis. As much as I would love to see the general population (threaded heavily with food stamp wielding masses/mutants) fight the purfumed/mutant Crate & Barrel crowds to shop there... it really is not going to happen. Aside from the entire development project being on hold while the girders rust and the financial situation is sorted, I would be happy to listen to more of the bright side of things here.

Last edited by HuskerDu; 03-24-2009 at 08:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati