Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,983 times

Advertisements

I might relocate to Cincinnati for my job and I am trying to get an idea of the culture- I have not visited Cincinnati yet.

I have spent time in the South- where people are typically very friendly, patient, polite, courteous, respectful and have great senses of HUMOR! They laugh and joke readily.. and it is very easy to make friends.

I am originally from NJ- where many people are uptight and very business oriented.. materialistic.. and kind of rude, unfortunately.

WHAT is the Cincinnati area like? Is it like the South? The North? Please share your insight. Thank you!

Last edited by Comicstripslive; 11-25-2008 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: speling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 07:43 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,657 times
I wouldn't say it's Southern Hospitality at it's finest, but it's sure as hell not NJ. No offense.

Is it the most southern northern city or is it the most northern southern city? If I had to choose one, I'd go with the latter. More south, than north. Clear as mud???

Old 11-26-2008, 12:21 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
What s/he said!
Often what's not realized is that a great deal of Southerners' legendary niceness is superficial. After you've been reeled in, you could be subject to intensive sugar-coated scrutiny and then much talked about when your back is turned. This is true of folks everywhere, but Suth'na's do it most and best. Yankees' "cold" ways are more sincere and to the point. Put another way - once you've won the confidence if not friendship of somebody from any part of the country which experiences the four seasons' weather to the fullest, you can be confident in your standing.
No matter where you go, there are people who keep up with the Joneses and others who couldn't care less. Materialism is hardly an alien concept below the Mason-Dixon line; matter of fact, that's where you see the most conspicuous consumption in the form of massive flat-screen TV's, pickup trucks on steroids, etc. Regardless of locale, show me a company employing ten or more individuals and I'll show you the rat race. Name a neighborhood and I'll show you a "Welcome Wagon" household thrown in with some noncommitally cordial ones and others that keep to themselves.
Sometimes New Englanders don't know what to make of me because I've kept my raised-by-Southerners-in-Cincinnati ways, lol...but yeah, when it comes to interpersonal behavior the Queen City assuredly falls on the Southern side - for all the bad and good that entails.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:18 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times
People here can be *******s, but that's ok ... I don't want to be put on this artificial mask on to make it seem like I care personally.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:43 AM

710 posts, read 3,046,153 times
I think people tend to be friendly here

Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Cincinnati is somewhat dysfunctional when it comes to Liberal ideas in a Conservative south...... If you are anti progressive , then you may like WKRP land. Its reputation proceeds itself , not a place I would like to be , or , be from, unless , I had conflicting personality issues , and , then , I would n't care ether way.....

Old 11-26-2008, 11:00 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,285 times
Friendly.

G

Old 11-28-2008, 10:20 PM

236 posts, read 695,693 times
IMO, more north than south...but a lot of that has to due with the lack newcomers. Many, but not all, tend to have their friends (since they grew up there) but for the most part, people are courteous, but not as welcoming as they are in city like Charlotte where everyone seems to be from somewhere else and are still building networks of friends.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:18 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabber View Post
IMO, more north than south...but a lot of that has to due with the lack newcomers. Many, but not all, tend to have their friends (since they grew up there) but for the most part, people are courteous, but not as welcoming as they are in city like Charlotte where everyone seems to be from somewhere else and are still building networks of friends.
I can tell you were quite the networker.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:41 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I can tell you were quite the networker.
I always love how you decide to be a prick to anyone that disagrees with you. While your intentions for Cincy are good on this forum, I'm willing to bet that you are actually the biggest turn-off to outsiders looking for an honest, unbiased view.

Let me guess, you respond to this by saying "well we have a 700 foot tower and a billion dollar complex and an MSA of......"

Looks like somebody's been drinking the Kool-Aid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati