U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 06:24 PM

909 posts, read 2,656,118 times

Advertisements

I was in Cincinnati yesterday mainly on the west side just checking out the place. I was mainly on Bridgeport Road, which i thought had some very interesting neighborhoods around them and style of architecture in the housing. I decided to take a turn on Hutchinson road, I think thats what it's called, then i got lost. LOL. But I loved the surrounding hills and housing styles. It was pretty much an urban forest in some areas. I somehow got on Buffalo Ridge Road and it was very hilly but had some very nice views of the city on top of the ridge. I almost hit some dear on top of the hill and it scared me though as I was coming around the curve. Then I somehow got on US 50 and headed home.

Just sharing my experience with my second time in Cincinnati.

Is Bridgetown a decent area to live in? Just currious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:39 PM

710 posts, read 2,650,545 times
There really is nothing special about bridgetown. It is relatively isolated and not terribly close to any employment centers, nice restaurants, cultural options, or major attractions.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:54 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,944,114 times
Bridgetown's where some folks from Price Hill and Westwood fled when their neighborhoods started "changing" - the ones who didn't stop in Delhi or run up Harrison Ave or keep going until they got into Indiana or Kentucky. It's in the land of big-box stores and Drees/Ryan/etc subdivisions, a bland and "safe" place to raise kids who grow up dangerously bored and ultimately escape into the city or away from the area for the most part. John Mellencamp said it best, "Oh, but ain't that America!" The only college students you'll meet there are the ones who commute to Mt St Joe, or make the long haul in to UC, Xavier, etc every day to save having to pay for campus housing or an apartment. On the plus side, you could meet fellow collegians in the area through setting up carpools...

Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 AM

52 posts, read 386,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humlermw View Post
I guess adhzedan must not have been more than a block from U.C. I live south of U.C. and just north of OTR and I am fine. My street is about half families and half students so it stays pretty quiet. I have had my car radio stolen but that could happen on Campus. I'd say if you don't plan on walking home late at night by yourself drunk you should be fine most anywhere.
Actually when I got mugged living on Ohio Ave, my fiance and I were getting out of our car and were completely sober (it was around 10:00pm). When my male friend was mugged, he was walking to my apartment at around the same time, also sober. Next time I'll remember not to be out in the streets after 9pm and I should be fine, right?

Yes, having your car ransacked can happen anywhere, but I'd say it's more likely to happen south of campus.

My post came from my experience with campus neighborhoods as a female undergraduate student without daily access to a car. I had to walk to class and back from class (yes, sometimes I didn't return home until 2am). I also prefer public transportation to a private vehicle. The neighborhoods I suggested are the ones in which I felt safest, especially when walking or waiting for a bus.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:01 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,856,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhzedan View Post
Actually when I got mugged living on Ohio Ave, my fiance and I were getting out of our car and were completely sober (it was around 10:00pm). When my male friend was mugged, he was walking to my apartment at around the same time, also sober. Next time I'll remember not to be out in the streets after 9pm and I should be fine, right?
I agree with you. I would not minimize the risks in living in the area around the UC Campus. Back when I was a college student, a female friend was abducted and murdered when leaving work at a restaurant on Calhoun St. and heading to one of the dorms.

Not too long ago, my aunt was leaving the old Deaconess hospital and was almost mugged. Fortunately, a good samaritan stopped his car and chased the attacker away.

A lot of the area around Calhoun and McMillan is fairly rough and you need to be aware of your environment. (The last time that I posted this, I received all the private messages asking if I had ever been to Cincinnati and how much of a racist I was and all that garbage. Please save your time). Most college students walk around campus thinking about classes, the party they are going to atttend, exams, etc. as opposed to being aware that there are a couple of punks following them.

For the record, most of my family has lived in the Clifton or OTR areas over the years. Most of my family attended the University of Cincinnati. I also have relatives who own quite a few of the student rentals and could be classified as slumlords.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:08 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,086 times
^ I'm not for down-playing any crime that occurs by any means, but to avoid an area because something "bad" happened also isn't the solution. Imagine what America would look like if the middle-class America avoided areas because something bad happened. More eyes on the street=less crime (see OTR as an example).

Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,940,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
^ I'm not for down-playing any crime that occurs by any means, but to avoid an area because something "bad" happened also isn't the solution. Imagine what America would look like if the middle-class America avoided areas because something bad happened. More eyes on the street=less crime (see OTR as an example).
More eyes as in 1000 thugs between 11th and Liberty on Vine? Lol I couldn't help myself bra... forgive me, cincy-rise.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,059 times
I am undergraduate student and I will be interning in Cincinnati for 2 months in the summer. Please, advise me on which areas around UC are safe to rent an apartment/room. I've been looking at Howell Ave, Senator Pl etc. I will need to use public transportation to downtown everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhzedan View Post

Yes, having your car ransacked can happen anywhere, but I'd say it's more likely to happen south of campus.

My post came from my experience with campus neighborhoods as a female undergraduate student without daily access to a car. I had to walk to class and back from class (yes, sometimes I didn't return home until 2am). I also prefer public transportation to a private vehicle. The neighborhoods I suggested are the ones in which I felt safest, especially when walking or waiting for a bus.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,435,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBird7 View Post
I am undergraduate student and I will be interning in Cincinnati for 2 months in the summer. Please, advise me on which areas around UC are safe to rent an apartment/room. I've been looking at Howell Ave, Senator Pl etc. I will need to use public transportation to downtown everyday.
I think both Howell and Senator Pl are appropriate for a UC student. Clifton is not the safest place in the city but those streets are good for Clifton within student budget. You are on the correct side of Clifton there. What I would call the north west side of the University area. And, if you walk to class your trip home will be all downhill.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,365,082 times
Either of those streets are safe. You can walk to campus, and you're right on the bus lines. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or