U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 10:06 PM

6 posts, read 45,068 times

Advertisements

I would first like to thank all of the regulars here for your contributions. I have learned a great deal about your city and this forum has been a valuable resource in preparing to relocate to Cincinnati.

I am relocating from a warm-weather city that receives zero snow fall and hardly any winter at all. I have read that the snow and winters are not that bad relative to other midwestern cities, but what exactly am I in for? What will I likely need that I probably wouldn't think of? Is a snow shovel, windshield de-icer or anything else necessary or helpful? I have a very short commute to work, are snow tires necessary?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 05:13 AM

455 posts, read 1,669,758 times
You don't need snow tires in Cincinnati... just patience on the first big snowfall of every year that sends the My P&G husband bought me this SUV but I only learned how to drive within lanes last week crowd into an absolute panic.

You need:
1) Ice Scraper for car windows
2) Road salt for front doorstep (probably won't need it)
3) Snow Shovel (probably won't need it)
4) Beer (no, i am not just trying to be clever...you need beer to live here)
5) Gloves or mittens

Old 12-01-2008, 09:15 AM

31,223 posts, read 57,377,537 times
First of all, remember that there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. When it gets slushy or snowy, wear boots. When it gets cold and windy, wear a hat, scarf and gloves. Being dressed properly really does take the sting out of the cold. Most Cincinnati winters you can get by with an all-weather coat: a raincoat with a zip-out, warm lining (think London Fog). A few bitter days here and there call for something more substantial.

Get a good pair of all-weather radial tires and you'll be set.

Do get an ice scraper and a snow brush for your car, and clear all the windows whenever necessary, not just a little window for you to peek out of (one of my pet peeves, LOL). You'll need the scraper more than you'll need the snow brush.

A snow shovel is handy if you have to clear your steps, driveway etc., but if you rent and aren't responsible for that, I wouldn't bother with one.

And forget the beer. Go straight for the hard stuff.

Good luck!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,486,785 times
Well if you love summer like i do and you are comming from a warm weather local - Cincy, while not as bad as say, Cleveland, will still be a winter shock for you. I disagree - there is such a thing as bad weather and as soon as we get highs of like 8 again i think most people would side with me. I do agree that hard liquour is a good option though, haha. What you really need is a one of those window scrapper things for your car, and snow shovel for your walk/driveway. Also, you will need patience because when it snows here in Cincy, even if its not a lot, people drive crazy and/or too slow and traffic is horrible. We have all left work at 5 to not arrive home by 8 or 9. It sucks. And its horrifically cold in some spurts and then nice a day or two later, but hey, thats Cincy.

G Man

Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 AM

561 posts, read 1,780,787 times
As a Southerner who knew nothing about cold weather, here's my short list of things I didn't know about...

- Turn off the air "recirculator" button on your car's heater, or your windows will fog up in cold weather.
- Buy a $2 ice scraper and leave it in your car.
- Keep a blanket in your car (in case your car dies and you need to wait for help)
- Heating your house in the winter is really really really really expensive. You won't know what hit you.

- The following items are really all you need to stay perfectly warm in any weather that the continental US can throw at you.
1) A wool "pea-coat"
2) Scarf
3) Earmuffs or a hat
4) "smart wool" socks. Expensive but worth it.
Throw in a just pair of regular jeans and a sweater underneath and you probably won't get cold. I found that all the stereotypical stuff that Southerners think you need in the cold (long-underwear, big puffy down jacket, huge snow gloves, snow boots) are basically not really needed.

Last edited by Joe 4520832257; 12-02-2008 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-02-2008, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 45,068 times
Thanks for all of the responses, there are some great tips here. Glad to hear about the snow tires and the other stuff doesn't sound like anything I can't handle.

On a side note, would anybody have recommendations for furniture stores not too far from Mt. Adams? So far I am planning on visiting Value City Furniture in Covington and Sofa Express.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:03 PM

455 posts, read 1,669,758 times
Sofa Express is no longer in business. If you are going to be living in one of the cool areas, you need decor to match. There is an IKEA up in West Chester and the place has some very functional and affordable collections for any size space. They deliver also. You just need to go pick out your digs. They also have rental vans and you can leave the car right there for the hour or so it takes to deliver it yourself.

IKEA | IKEA West Chester store (http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/IkeaNearYouView?storeId=12&langId=-1&StoreNumber=175 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or