U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:11 AM

69 posts, read 303,205 times

Advertisements

You guys were right about the "please" phrase. I was at a service station today and asked the cashier for five singles back out of my change and she said, "Please" insinutating she didn't hear what I said. The first time I heard someone say that, I knew what it meant but I was still thinking to myself like, "What the f*** is please. Sounds so stupid." It took me a while to get used to hearing this but it still hurts my ears hearing that and pop. Pop is a noise, not a drink. I've also noticed people are always concerned with what high school you attended. It seems like all the residents assume everyone went to high school here and when you tell them you went to "school" out of state, it's like their attitude changes or you get a simple,"Oh".I still love Cincy though. A great city with a lot of character but just has a small town feel like everyone knows eachother and outsiders are pushed to the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 06:15 AM

31,201 posts, read 57,343,818 times
Yeah, I love the "oh" after they realize you're not a native. And the quizzical looks you get when your answer to "Where did you go to school?" is the university you attended. LOL

The first time someone said "Please?" to me, I wasn't sure what to say. "Um ... thank you?"

As for the pop thing ... deal with it!

Have you noticed yet that Cincinnati drivers will cheerfully tie up traffic or risk getting rear-ended just to let someone merge into their lane, or to allow another driver to turn left from the right lane (or vice versa)? That's a real eyebrow-raiser!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,485,521 times
I think the whole school thing comes from 1. the west side / east side split 2. the pubic vs private school differences and 3. the rivalries in high school sports here, especially football. Most high schools have a rep associated with them.

G Man

Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,485,521 times
As for "please" - i definately prefer it over the "come again" or "huh."

G Man

Old 12-04-2008, 08:43 AM

1,071 posts, read 3,939,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet View Post
You guys were right about the "please" phrase. I was at a service station today and asked the cashier for five singles back out of my change and she said, "Please" insinutating she didn't hear what I said. The first time I heard someone say that, I knew what it meant but I was still thinking to myself like, "What the f*** is please. Sounds so stupid." It took me a while to get used to hearing this but it still hurts my ears hearing that and pop. Pop is a noise, not a drink. I've also noticed people are always concerned with what high school you attended. It seems like all the residents assume everyone went to high school here and when you tell them you went to "school" out of state, it's like their attitude changes or you get a simple,"Oh".I still love Cincy though. A great city with a lot of character but just has a small town feel like everyone knows eachother and outsiders are pushed to the side.
lol, we shortened "please come again" to just "please". i think it adds character to the town. this is the first of many things in the city you'll hear that won't immediately make sense.

Quote:
A great city with a lot of character but just has a small town feel like everyone knows eachother and outsiders are pushed to the side.[
what, you don't like the Empire of Cincinnati? nobody told you that we're a sovereign state that gives new meaning to the definition of provincial?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:37 AM

31,201 posts, read 57,343,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet View Post
A great city with a lot of character but just has a small town feel like everyone knows eachother and outsiders are pushed to the side.
You know what I found since moving to Philadelphia? It's just as parochial as Cincinnati, if not more so. I was surprised to find that attitude in Cincinnati -- didn't have that experience when I moved to Cleveland -- but never expected Philadelphia to be the same. Biggest small town I've ever seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
lol, we shortened "please come again" to just "please".
"Please?" comes from the German "Bitte?"

Old 12-04-2008, 04:06 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,845,446 times
"Please" ... German thing and definately better than "Huh?"

Highschool, it's the rivalry. The Cincinnati highschool sports programs are some of the best in the nation. We produce more professional football players per capita than any other region in the US and I heard Marty say the same thing about baseball ... not sure if it's true or not.

Pop, that's kind of split down the middle of the Eastside/Westside ... at least it's not as bad as Chicago ... everyone says pop.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:07 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,845,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
lol, we shortened "please come again" to just "please". i think it adds character to the town. this is the first of many things in the city you'll hear that won't immediately make sense.

what, you don't like the Empire of Cincinnati? nobody told you that we're a sovereign state that gives new meaning to the definition of provincial?
lol ... we joke around about this on UO ... Cincinnati: The City-Nation State!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 PM

69 posts, read 303,205 times
Now "please" doesn't seem as bad now since I know the explanation of it. Yeah, I've noticed that high school sports is something serious here. Sort has that Texas feel a little bit. Cincinnati does have some top notch athletes. I check out some of the high school football games sometimes and they never cease to amaze me. I'm always amazed at how talented the are and how much the community supports them. Even though I'm not a whole lot older than them, it's still good to see the youth out doing something postive and making their community proud.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:40 PM

414 posts, read 1,128,144 times
People always give me hell here in NC about the pop thing . I can't help it, I'm from Cincy and it's always been pop. It even says it on the billboards outside of the beverage drive-thrus...right?

Well I finally got a little satisfaction when I was watching NC's favorite son, no not Billy Graham (although he's a pretty good dude), Andy Griffith, when he turned to Barney and said, "I'm gonna walk over across the street and get a pop."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or