U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:01 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,484,411 times

Advertisements

This is a forum for visitors looking for things to do and locals who may not know about this.... i didnt until this winter, for the most part. I am not really a hockey fan - but the Cyclones are pretty good entertainment for a relatively decent price. Their tickets ate $10 and you can sit very close since attendance isnt that great. They have $7 deals on some Saturdays too. The promotions are outstanding. I have been to two "Wet Wednesdays" that feature $1 PBR's and Highlifes. Next Tuesday they have $2 tall boys of PBR. Monday is $1 pulled pork sammies. There are other promotions as well, check out their web site.

G Rizzle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 10:41 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
It's unfortunate the city lost the Mighty Ducks and the IHL/AHL. The caliber of play was much more polished, which made the team more likely to attract the casual fan.

And the coliseum or whatever it's called these days is a lousy place to watch a hockey game. The Gardens is soooo much better.

Still, it sounds like the club is working hard to attract people to the games. Good luck to them.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's unfortunate the city lost the Mighty Ducks and the IHL/AHL. The caliber of play was much more polished, which made the team more likely to attract the casual fan.

And the coliseum or whatever it's called these days is a lousy place to watch a hockey game. The Gardens is soooo much better.

Still, it sounds like the club is working hard to attract people to the games. Good luck to them.
Actually, the caliber of play has no effect on drawing the casual fan - like myself. We come out for the entertainment value and promotions, like $1 beer nite. I would have no idea if the caliber of play is better or worse then another league, i'm a baseball fan, not a hockey fan. Additionally, with minor league sports, like minor league baseball/hockey, part of the draw is the intimacy of it and the lack of high level egos. I think that, even though the level of play isnt all pro, attracts serious fans as well.

Definately agree on the Gardens vs. Coliseum debate. The Gardens is an awesome old venue and i live pretty close to it so its too bad there isnt a team there. The Coliseum is a decent venue and the padded seats are a nice touch. For $10 you can sit in the front row as well. Site lines are good. Economically speaking they can draw better downtown then in Norwood, its just a reality.

They are doing their best to draw fans and they are doing quite well - ahead of last years numbers.

G Rizzle

Old 12-04-2008, 11:39 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Actually, the caliber of play has no effect on drawing the casual fan - like myself. We come out for the entertainment value and promotions, like $1 beer nite.
Good point -- I stand corrected! The Ducks had seemingly constant promotions as well, and that place was jammed for at least three-quarters of the games. Free parking was a nice perk, too.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:08 PM

414 posts, read 1,127,842 times
Quote:
Actually, the caliber of play has no effect on drawing the casual fan - like myself. We come out for the entertainment value and promotions, like $1 beer nite. I would have no idea if the caliber of play is better or worse then another league, i'm a baseball fan, not a hockey fan. Additionally, with minor league sports, like minor league baseball/hockey, part of the draw is the intimacy of it and the lack of high level egos. I think that, even though the level of play isnt all pro, attracts serious fans as well.

Definately agree on the Gardens vs. Coliseum debate. The Gardens is an awesome old venue and i live pretty close to it so its too bad there isnt a team there. The Coliseum is a decent venue and the padded seats are a nice touch. For $10 you can sit in the front row as well. Site lines are good. Economically speaking they can draw better downtown then in Norwood, its just a reality.

They are doing their best to draw fans and they are doing quite well - ahead of last years numbers.

G Rizzle

That's not necessarily true. When I lived in cincy they played at the Gardens and it was packed out every night. That was the old IHL days. Then they moved downtown and attendance fell off dramatically. Then enter the Mighty Ducks and both suffered. I don't know why anyone ever thought it was a good idea to have two teams??? Anyways, I really miss the old Gardens days.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good point -- I stand corrected! The Ducks had seemingly constant promotions as well, and that place was jammed for at least three-quarters of the games. Free parking was a nice perk, too.
Yeah the Gardens is a neat place. Very sad that there isnt a team there.

G Rizzle

Old 12-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah the Gardens is a neat place. Very sad that there isnt a team there.

G Rizzle
Do they do anything there these days?

Old 12-04-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Do they do anything there these days?
A lot of the reason for the move downtown is stuff that we cant see... leases, etc. The economics dictated that they had to move. The Cyclones did quite well in the Gardens and they do okay downtown. Like i said they seem to be doing better this year then last. My main reason for the post was to inform locals and visitors alike of a good entertainment value.

The Gardens doesnt have any full time tenent. XU, Cyclones, Silverbacks, Mighty Ducks have all come and went. Its used for high school games and the like. Dont know the details of it but it seems like the maintainence will eventually dictate that it needs to go, which would be sad.

G Man

Old 12-04-2008, 12:35 PM

17 posts, read 47,819 times
Quote:
A lot of the reason for the move downtown is stuff that we cant see... leases, etc. The economics dictated that they had to move. The Cyclones did quite well in the Gardens and they do okay downtown. Like i said they seem to be doing better this year then last. My main reason for the post was to inform locals and visitors alike of a good entertainment value.

The Gardens doesnt have any full time tenent. XU, Cyclones, Silverbacks, Mighty Ducks have all come and went. Its used for high school games and the like. Dont know the details of it but it seems like the maintainence will eventually dictate that it needs to go, which would be sad.

G Man
Does Xavier hockey no longer call the Gardens home? They did when I was in Cincinnati a few years ago...

Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Yeah, unfortunately nostalgia doesn't always factor into the bottom line. We have seen the same thing here in Charlotte. Our team, the Checkers once played in an old rundown arena - it was perfect for minor league hockey. Then when the new arena was built, they moved it downtown. Yeah, attendance is up, I think we finished first or second in figures last year, but for me (a big minor league sports fan) the atmosphere was destroyed. There's just something about watching a player making 20k a year playing in a $300 million dollar arena....blahhhh.

Anyways, you are 100% correct - it is great entertainment value for the money. People should be packing out the place on a nightly basis, at least on weekend. If people would just go, they would probably love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or