U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 AM

897 posts, read 2,523,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccasplace View Post
I am flying into Charleston, S.C. from Canada - what is the cheapest way to get to Hilton Head Health without renting a car? I would appreciate anyone's help.
Thanks.
R
You need to be flying into the Savannah / HH airport, not the Charleston airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,348,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccasplace View Post
I am flying into Charleston, S.C. from Canada - what is the cheapest way to get to Hilton Head Health without renting a car? I would appreciate anyone's help.
Thanks.
R
If I was you, I would fly in to either Jacksonville or Atlanta. You can probably get a direct flight if you are going to one these airports from an airport in any major Canadian city.

From Jacksonville to Hilton head, it is about a 2-hour drive, and from Atlanta to Hilton Head is about a 3-hour drive (if I remember correctly)

Old 06-03-2012, 07:37 PM

23 posts, read 40,220 times
We love Hilton head! We started to go there after recommendations from friends. It’s an easy 11 drive without having to drive through Atlanta (i.e.Cinti to FL). I do not like MB or VB with their beaches full of high rise condos and tons of commercial development. Savannah and Charleston are wonderful to visit but it's not the beach. HHI is more of a family oriented area set within the natural environment with building covenants. The beach is 11 miles long with hard packed sand which is great for walking and bike riding. It is not the place to go if you need commercial entertainment while on vacation.
We started going there when the kids were younger and now that they are young adults they still enjoy it. Last spring my daughter and I went to Siesta Key Florida, she was happy to be at the beach but in her words “This is nice but it’s not Hilton Head.”
For those you who think HHI is for the wealthy only you are wrong. Two years ago I stayed in a beautiful 3 bedroom condo within a 5 minute walk to the beach in Sea Pines for $1100 a week. There are many wonderful places to eat and stay in all price ranges. It’s about family not wild times on the beach.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 PM

23 posts, read 40,220 times
Don't know how a added to such an old post, I need my Hilton Head vacation!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 AM

583 posts, read 738,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
So what's the deal with everyone in Cincinnati going to Hilton Head for vacation?

When I moved to Cincy this summer I immediately started noticing all the "HH" bumper stickers and the omnipresent "Salty Dog Cafe" t-shirts.

I asked my neighbors why it was such a popular destination for locals, and they had no idea. They said they went to Hilton Head and everyone else at their hotel was also from Cincinnati, but didn't know why.

As a native Floridian, I'm a bit surprised by its popularity. I've been to Hilton Head (because it was just a weekend drive for us) and it was nice, but nothing special. In fact, there are several superior destinations nearby (Savannah, Charleston, Sea Island, Amelia Island, etc.) So what gives?
Hilton Head is awesome, cleaner, nicer and nowhere near as pushy or trashy as Florida.

Hilton Head and the Lowcountry environs also have a real history and sense of place to them, unlike Florida which has no apparent history, appearing to be no older than 30 years.

HHI is also substantially closer.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 AM

361 posts, read 547,049 times
It's weird this old thread got bumped the day one of my supervisors left to go to Hilton Head. I visited HH once while we were down in Savannah. While it was nice, it was definitely not our element. It had somewhat of a country club type vibe and the area consisted of mostly elderly, and apparently wealthy retirees. We are none of the above.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,464,425 times
Reasons for why my family loves Hilton Head:

1. Just a one day drive which means we can load up the SUV with all our crap----most of the big things are beach stuff that we never could have taken on a plane.

2. It's very family friendly and safe. You can leave the doors unlocked....and there's seemingly an endless amount of bike trails that are fun to take the kids on.

3. Everyone seemingly has kids----so no dirty looks when kids act up in public----everybody's been there and done that.

4. Beach is very kid friendly----it's big and wide and not a lot of sharp bits of sea shells that can cut little kids' feet.

5. Every house is seemingly for rent, and all the nice ones have pools. Nothing is better than your own private pool when you have little kids....you can just send them out there anytime. We literally spend 3-4 hours in the pool every day. Why anyone would stay in anything but a house is beyond me.....having a full sized kitchen is great, too.

6. Every house is seemingly within bicycling distance of the beach. Most of the houses come with bikes and kid carriers. Load them up----and off you go!

7. Wide range of restaurants and virtually all are kid friendly. There's a great beach restaurant in Palmetto Dunes-----$7.50/sandwiches literally on the beach----after dinner take the kiddies for a stroll on the beach. Priceless.

8. Worldclass golf----Harbor Town Golf Links is nice.

Conclusion: perfect beach destination for people from Mason, etc. with small kids. You literally have Mason and all its amenities on the beach----4,000 sq ft home with pool, granite countertops, $3k mattresses, lagoons for the kids to fish. Can't beat it.

Last edited by flashes1; 06-04-2012 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 AM

583 posts, read 738,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
3. Everyone seemingly has kids----so no dirty looks when kids act up in public----everybody's been there and done that.
Not sure I follow you there.

Every decent parent smacks the tar out of their kid for acting up in public and expects the same level of manners from every other parent. Nobody, parent or otherwise, wants to spend the money to go on vacation (or go to dinner) only to suffer shrieks and screams. Go to Disney if you want to do that. HHI is quiet. Heck, everywhere should be quiet, except for a Reds game when the home team hits one out.

Remember the ancient basic principle of manners: "Children should be seen and not heard." It's as true now as it was 30 years ago. This generation of parents calling their children "buddy" isn't doing the children or the neighbors and favors.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:00 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,656,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Reasons for why my family loves Hilton Head:

1. Just a one day drive which means we can load up the SUV with all our crap----most of the big things are beach stuff that we never could have taken on a plane.

2. It's very family friendly and safe. You can leave the doors unlocked....and there's seemingly an endless amount of bike trails that are fun to take the kids on.

4. Beach is very kid friendly----it's big and wide and not a lot of sharp bits of sea shells that can cut little kids' feet.

5. Every house is seemingly for rent, and all the nice ones have pools. Nothing is better than your own private pool when you have little kids....you can just send them out there anytime. We literally spend 3-4 hours in the pool every day. Why anyone would stay in anything but a house is beyond me.....having a full sized kitchen is great, too.

6. Every house is seemingly within bicycling distance of the beach. Most of the houses come with bikes and kid carriers. Load them up----and off you go!

7. Wide range of restaurants and virtually all are kid friendly. There's a great beach restaurant in Palmetto Dunes-----$7.50/sandwiches literally on the beach----after dinner take the kiddies for a stroll on the beach. Priceless.

8. Worldclass golf----Harbor Town Golf Links is nice.

Conclusion: perfect beach destination for people from Mason, etc. with small kids. You literally have Mason and all its amenities on the beach----4,000 sq ft home with pool, granite countertops, $3k mattresses, lagoons for the kids to fish. Can't beat it.
Wow ... what an irresistible selling point. Just what I'm looking for on a vacation - Mason.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Wow ... what an irresistible selling point. Just what I'm looking for on a vacation - Mason.
Whew, I'm on my way to Hilton Head!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati