U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:25 PM

298 posts, read 228,208 times

Advertisements

Visited Hilton Head this year. How horrible. The falseness of it all. Crowded with old rich white people, Created an island so landscaped it has no resemblance to anything real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:32 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
Visited Hilton Head this year. How horrible. The falseness of it all. Crowded with old rich white people, Created an island so landscaped it has no resemblance to anything real.
Everyone to their own tastes. I have the same feeling about Mrytle Beach.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,462,107 times
Quote:
Hiton Head was so landscaped it had no resemblance to anything real? What the heck does that mean? Some of us like well manicured landscaping. Maybe what you consider real is not what the rest of us consider real? You consider that? And old rich white people.....what's wrong with them? Those are the people who built this country, paid for it all and it's what many of us aspire to be someday!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
So you're willing to paint NJ with such broad strokes because of one person?
Sure. That's been my experience.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Just have to laugh that no one brings up the western Michigan coast, which in my opinion blows HH and Myrtle out of the water and is considerably closer even at the northern extremity of it.

But then again, you can't get a Salty Dog Cafe shirt in Michigan
But one thing you can get in Michigan is cold. I remember one trip to Holland Michigan in early August and attempting to go to the beach. After turning blue in a short time we abandoned that idea. Even further South around Grand Haven you have to be a fool to swim in the lake. For boating it is great, but swimming no way unless a heated pool at a hotel.

A similarity is Lake Ontario. Some beautiful beaches line its shores, but your intent must be to lie on the beach for some rays. Even then you probably need a blanket on. Venturing into the water is asking to be frostbit. One thing is for sure, you can stroll the beaches without being crowded. In some areas you might no see another living sole. Kind of lets you know how stupid you are being there.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 AM

800 posts, read 616,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But one thing you can get in Michigan is cold. I remember one trip to Holland Michigan in early August and attempting to go to the beach. After turning blue in a short time we abandoned that idea. Even further South around Grand Haven you have to be a fool to swim in the lake. For boating it is great, but swimming no way unless a heated pool at a hotel.

A similarity is Lake Ontario. Some beautiful beaches line its shores, but your intent must be to lie on the beach for some rays. Even then you probably need a blanket on. Venturing into the water is asking to be frostbit. One thing is for sure, you can stroll the beaches without being crowded. In some areas you might no see another living sole. Kind of lets you know how stupid you are being there.
I guess it's not for those without thick skin, but I find the waters up near Petoskey and Harbor perfectly swimmable in the summer and on a warm summer day you'll certainly find people all over the beaches too. Not to mention the sailing is very good, and unlike a Hilton Head property, which is relatively worthless in the winter, some of the best skiing in the midwest is found up there.

I can certainly see why people enjoy Hilton Head (not at all my taste), however, I find Charleston/Isle of Palms to have everything HHI has plus a lot more culture and history in terms of the region.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 AM

10,813 posts, read 12,855,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But one thing you can get in Michigan is cold. I remember one trip to Holland Michigan in early August and attempting to go to the beach. After turning blue in a short time we abandoned that idea.
Really? I find that odd.
Maybe it is because Lake Eire is the shallowest lake and it warms up faster... but it is only June and Lake Erie is already pretty swim-able. It's up to 70 already in most spots which is fantastic swimming temps.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Really? I find that odd.
Maybe it is because Lake Eire is the shallowest lake and it warms up faster... but it is only June and Lake Erie is already pretty swim-able. It's up to 70 already in most spots which is fantastic swimming temps.
Maybe you didn't get my comment. Holland Michigan is not on Lake Erie. Yes Lake Erie is shallow and warms up more quickly, but Lake Michigan does not. Please recognize that Holland Michigan is not on Lake Erie, and it never really gets warm unless your idea of warm is 40' F.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:29 AM

361 posts, read 546,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Just have to laugh that no one brings up the western Michigan coast, which in my opinion blows HH and Myrtle out of the water and is considerably closer even at the northern extremity of it.

But then again, you can't get a Salty Dog Cafe shirt in Michigan
I think I mentioned somewhere a while ago how pleasantly surprised I was at how picturesque Michigan's west coast is. I also had no idea they had dunes up there. Very scenic area indeed!

Quote:
Created an island so landscaped it has no resemblance to anything real.
I somewhat see where you're coming from. I had the same feeling, but it's hard to put in words; sort of like the manufactured landscape of Southern California. I think the feeling stems from the excessive amount of imported palm trees plopped down all over the area, combined with the many buildings that look like they came out of a box.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post

I somewhat see where you're coming from. I had the same feeling, but it's hard to put in words; sort of like the manufactured landscape of Southern California. I think the feeling stems from the excessive amount of imported palm trees plopped down all over the area, combined with the many buildings that look like they came out of a box.
One of the things l love the most about Hilton Head is the fact they've kept so much of the old growth----at least in the neighborhoods in Palmetto Dunes and Sea Pines----which are the only two areas I know a lot about. You can see where the builders have been very careful to minimize the destruction------and I'd say at least half the homes have "natural" landscapes of mostly pine needles and scrub brush.

I can take the kids in the jogger for an hour walk without worrying much about them getting sun burned because the canopy is so thick. It's pretty amazing if you think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati