Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 07:56 PM

246 posts, read 1,048,521 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting series of articles about Ruth Lyons, focusing on her Christmas recordings. I thought some old-timers like me would like to read this. (Under age 40 or so? Ask around about who she was):

A Christmas Yuleblog: Ruth Lyons

And here's a link to three holiday songs from Ruth and the gang:

selections from its christmas time again

Hope you all enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 PM

455 posts, read 1,883,979 times
Thank you!!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:19 PM

What the heck. Let's have another. Here's a link to Bob Braun's 1968 album, Christmas in Your Heart:

Christmas Album Bob Braun

Enjoy, oh beloved 35 people who are following this thread!

Old 12-22-2008, 05:26 PM

69 posts, read 269,490 times
You can also do a search on you tube and see a few of her shows from the 50's with Willie Thall.

I;m sitting here looking at her book "Remember With Me". It was in my granmother's collection and, for some reason, I wanted it when she passed.... not sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
Here's an interesting series of articles about Ruth Lyons, focusing on her Christmas recordings. I thought some old-timers like me would like to read this. (Under age 40 or so? Ask around about who she was):

A Christmas Yuleblog: Ruth Lyons

And here's a link to three holiday songs from Ruth and the gang:

selections from its christmas time again

Hope you all enjoy!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:56 PM

26 posts, read 85,823 times
Thank you so much for the links! I grew up in Cincinnati and loved her show and especially "Have a Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas" - every Christmas I think about it.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Default Ruby Wright

Here are a couple of Ruth Lyons Christmas songs that will be familiar to many long-time Cincinnatians:

Ruby Wright singing "Have a Merry, Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas" can be found here:

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&blog&file_id =f_219024394&shared_name=fv7jgj42c8 (broken link)

And Ruby singing "Let's Light the Christmas Tree" is here:

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&blog&file_id =f_219025010&shared_name=flriqpu2cm (broken link)

Remember the old "Holiday Hello" shows on WLWT with Ruth and the gang?

Old 12-06-2009, 08:51 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,319 times
I have enjoyed this very much !!! I grew up in Cincinnati, when I was about 4 I was in the Childrens Hospital for a few days because of surgery...the first thing they did was give me a doll that was because of the Ruth Lyons Christmas Fund. I keep that doll with me and brought it home, they had play rooms for the kids and everything.
Although she is gone the fund is still running I think it might have a different name though. It is definately a fund that I would support if able. I am going to check on it and see what kind of donations they would like besides money, I think some of us could buy a few toys from time to time and send them to the right place. Hyden

Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Glad someone brought this up. I will have to go and rummage through my vinyl collection. I know I have a Ruth Lyons Christmas Album somewhere. Glad I still have a turntable to play it on.

Ruth was a Cincinnati Icon long before they coined the term. Her show, with Ruby Wright, Marian Spelman, Bonnie Lou, Colleen Sharp, of course Peter Grant, and the unforgettable Cliff Lash orchestra, were the mainstays of their era.

One thing I will never forgive her for. Back then, flank steak was practically a give-away in the market. One day she has a chef on who explained how to cook a flank steak. Over-night the price tripled in the market and has never gone down since.

Ruth, her home-spun renditions concerning her husband, Herman and daughter Candy are sorely missed. It was a different time and place, not to be duplicated again. We are all the lesser for it.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:55 AM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Found this picture

Last edited by mike1003; 01-03-2016 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 02:05 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Glad you revived the thread. It was certainly during the glory days of Cincinnati TV. Ruth was a regional powerhouse. When out of town entertainers came to either the old Beverly Hills or the Dayton equivalent (can't remember the name) the performers made sure they came on Ruth's TV show. That could make or break their engagement. It seemed like the big names, like Bob Hope, somehow got clued in as to how important it was to appear on her show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati