Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2023, 06:32 AM

4,376 posts, read 2,871,262 times

Advertisements

I'm from Indianapolis and have been in Cincy for work. According to multiple sources the metros are the same size. I don't understand how this is possible, because Cincy seems so much bigger than Indy. Newport alone in KY seems like it has more bars and restaurants than all of Indy's "trendy" neighborhoods. Then you have OTR and all the eastern neighborhoods. The skyline looks a little bigger and I love how they have it lit up a night and the city just feels more urban. There's more big corporate jobs and light rail. All I can think of is more of the Indy population is in the suburbs.

Note: I understand the city limits affects population so that's why I included the metro size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 09:23 AM

185 posts, read 297,286 times
A big difference is that the greater Indianapolis area has its downtown right in the center of the suburban sprawl. In comparison, Cincinnati's downtown is on the river and most suburban areas spread out to the north and east, a bit more compact than Indy.

Newport and Covington just across the the river are easily accessible by multiple bridges, so while yes you cross a state line, you might still feel like you are still in Cincinnati.

Regarding the light rail, that system is pretty small and only runs downtown and in OTR, so unlike Cleveland it won't be of any use if you want to live in the suburbs and ride it to work downtown.

I agree, plenty of big corporate jobs here but also a number of smaller businesses of all kinds.

Old 11-10-2023, 01:29 PM

4,376 posts, read 2,871,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
A big difference is that the greater Indianapolis area has its downtown right in the center of the suburban sprawl. In comparison, Cincinnati's downtown is on the river and most suburban areas spread out to the north and east, a bit more compact than Indy.

Newport and Covington just across the the river are easily accessible by multiple bridges, so while yes you cross a state line, you might still feel like you are still in Cincinnati.

Regarding the light rail, that system is pretty small and only runs downtown and in OTR, so unlike Cleveland it won't be of any use if you want to live in the suburbs and ride it to work downtown.

I agree, plenty of big corporate jobs here but also a number of smaller businesses of all kinds.
That makes sense. It's pretty much like if you cut Indy in half and moved half the population north.

Old 11-10-2023, 08:21 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,173,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
That makes sense. It's pretty much like if you cut Indy in half and moved half the population north.
Im not from Cincy so I tend to view the metro as a whole. Going to NKY, which I frequently do, is not different than going to any neighborhood in Cincy. People that are from here tend to be fairly parochial as to their neighborhoods, home city, etc. So I agree with your perspective and the Cincy area as a whole is a definite competitor to Indy and bests Indy in a few areas, as does Indy Cincy. I was totally ignorant on Cincinnati before getting to know the area before moving here and have been pleasantly surprised ever since. And I prefer big city living. Cincy does just fine on most fronts, just a bit less of it that larger cities.

Old 11-12-2023, 11:50 AM

224 posts, read 293,837 times
Cincinnati has some compact neighborhoods like Mt. Adams and Clifton, where you have a lot of people in a small space. Indy generally seems more spread out.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:25 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
Cincinnati has some compact neighborhoods like Mt. Adams and Clifton, where you have a lot of people in a small space. Indy generally seems more spread out.
Cincy has far greater population density in a number of areas compared to Indy. Indy has some of the worst sprawl of any metro area in the Midwest- if not the entire country. The levels of suburban sprawl in Hamilton County, Indiana is unprecedented, and the inferior road networks cannot even remotely keep up with the level of growth there.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:52 PM

638 posts, read 362,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Cincy has far greater population density in a number of areas compared to Indy. Indy has some of the worst sprawl of any metro area in the Midwest- if not the entire country. The levels of suburban sprawl in Hamilton County, Indiana is unprecedented, and the inferior road networks cannot even remotely keep up with the level of growth there.
Are any parts of the Columbus metro similar? Just curious because they're too urban areas that are very similar.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:03 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,793,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Are any parts of the Columbus metro similar? Just curious because they're too urban areas that are very similar.
Delaware County would be the most prominent example in the Columbus metro.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:39 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Columbus is very sprawl oriented as well, but not on the same level as Indy. Hamilton County, IN would be the most similar to Delaware County, OH, and the latter is quite a bit less populated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati