U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 01:52 PM

15 posts, read 53,213 times

Advertisements

I love to walk with my dog. I used to live in Dayton, right across the street from Oakwood, and we would walk about 6-8 hours a week through Oakwood, Patterson Park, and Kettering. These were wonderful places to walk. Great communities, wonderful homes, and varied landscapes.

Now I live in Blue Ash, and I'm looking for a place to get excited about walking with my dog. I don't really have anything in walking distance, so I'm alright with a little bit of a drive. I don't expect to find anything as nice as Oakwood or anything, but thus far there isn't anywhere I really look forward to walking.

I've checked out a few of the parks, but they're kind of small. Montgomery is pretty nice, though I've only really walked along the Montgomery road. I was also thinking of Sharon Woods, though often my walks are in the evening, and I don't think I want to go there at night. Raymon-Walters College is nice, that's perhaps the best I've found.

So does anyone have any suggestions, as far as parks or neighborhoods, where my dog and I might enjoy walking?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 01:54 PM

710 posts, read 2,650,219 times
Why wouldn't you want to go to Sharon Woods at night?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:55 PM

Well, for one I assumed the park closed at some point. I would also be concerned about walking a dark trail alone. Is it lit?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:01 PM

241 posts, read 1,177,099 times
I'm not sure what kind of walking trails they have, but Pioneer Park and Dulle Park are right across the street from one another and seem nice when I've visited them (I eat lunch there occassionally, as I work in Blue Ash). They're on Dearfield Rd. Between Creek and Pfieffer.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:10 PM

31,216 posts, read 57,353,566 times
Most parks close at dusk anyway, and I wouldn't want to be walking a trail at night, either. Sharon Woods does have some nice trails, paved and unpaved.

French Park in Amberley has plenty of dog walkers -- the dogs are supposed to be on a leash, but often they aren't.

The older part of Montgomery is nice to walk through. Lot of streets don't have sidewalks, but they're not all that busy, either.

I liked walking at Lunken airport, although sometimes the jet fuel fumes are too much to take on that back stretch.

Mariemont is a great neighborhood to walk in. Nice and flat!

The Little Miami Scenic Trail runs north of Milford along the Little Miami River.

Have fun exploring!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those parks out.

What about the golf course? Is there some potential there? I wouldn't want to walk my dog on the actual golf course, it's probably not even allowed, but are there some wooded areas there where it would be safe to take her?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:20 PM

351 posts, read 1,686,586 times
You may also want to try the Hamilton County Park on Route 4 at Glendale Milford (behind Krogers). My family calls it "the Cotswolds," because it reminds my dad of the Cotswolds. THe park is a former farm, donated to Ham Co Park district, and there is a lot to get excited about: it really is a lovely park, and is great for walking a dog. 15 min drive from Blue Ash. Enjoy!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:36 PM

33 posts, read 131,048 times
Cooper park

Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,683 times
Default Great Areas to Walk

We moved to Evendale last year, right next to Blue Ash, and we too love to walk our dog. We have been thrilled with the shear number of great places to go within 5 to 10 minutes of our home. Blue Ash Nature Center has lovely wooded trails (Cooper Road right next to the rec. center). Griffin Family Nature Preserve on Wyscarver has a great trail that leads to a beautiful pond (right on Wyscarver from Glendale Milford Road - preserve is on the right). Gorman Heritage Farm has several trails that lead to an overlook and a large meadow. Finally, we just discovered a gorgeous Hamilton Co. Park - can't think of the name, but you take Glendale Milford Road until dead ends into Springfield Pike. Park is right there.

Best of luck. Perhaps we'll see you on the trails. We have the beautiful 3 legged coon hound-husky mix named Charlie.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:15 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,676,913 times
Hi! Welcome to the neighborhood. I like to walk my dogs to/from/and in Pioneer Park on Deerfield Road. It has several paved walkways, a gazebo, restrooms, ball fields, a pond, a wild meadow, etc. it's visually interesting and very safe. The neighborhoods around there are good to walk as well.

I also like Swaim Park on the corner of Cooper Road and ZigZag and the areas around it. If you leave Swaim Park and walk east on Cooper you get to the library, post office, and downtown Blue Ash. If you leave Swaim Park and walk north on ZigZag you are in a nice sidewalked neighborhood. You can continue on ZigZag make a right onto Mitchell Farm which will lead you to Montgomery Road. Make a left on Montgomery and you'll be at the strip mall containing Kroger. Continue north and you get to Montgomery Park. You can hit two parks and make a nice circuit on safe, sidewalked streets.

Some of my favorite neighborhoods to walk through are "The Winds" and "Montgomery Woods". If you go east on Pfeiffer Road past the entrance to I-71 the first stop sign you come to is the entrance to "The Winds". Turn right, park your car, and enjoy the stroll. "Montgomery Woods" is the neighborhood north of Pioneer Park on Deerfield Road.

If you want a more natural setting, continue north on Deerfield, when it intersects with Deershadow turn left and the Johnson Nature Preserve is on the right. It's a dirt path through woods,but quite lovely.

I love walking in Sharon Woods. It is lovely, but I don't walk there at night. Not because I've ever had an issue - just because I tend to be cautious.

Best wishes and I hope you find a route you enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati