U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:25 PM

770 posts, read 706,767 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the burbs' in Cincinnati.

There is very little natural beauty, and yet very little urbanized activity. Downtown has a few college bars, a few professional bars, and that's about it. Very little to do in the city if overcooked noodles with grade D ground beef and cheese eaten as "tradition" isn't your thing. Double down on that if you don't suffer from alcoholism and an unhealthy love of professional sports. If you don't drop lines under your breathe about "ni**ers" when discussing politics, you'll probably find yourself out of place in the professional crowds at large. It's more Kentucky than Ohio in this regard.

The burbs' are what they are. Again, very little natural beauty in the area, so outdoor activities at large are minimal. The more wealthy areas that I grew up in have a very strange anti-intellectual vibe combined with raw Republicanism, social and economic(I wouldn't say conservatism-they like their infrastructure hand-outs, ironically). Bush campaigned in West Chester on the second term, to give you an idea. It's strongly pro-business, and the quintessential cookie cutter, strip mall feel.

Almost universally, the smartest folks I grew up with got out of town. Those who haven't generally can't afford to, which is a similar issue many in the Midwest face, as the dollar value is significantly different on both coasts. I'm sure some very great people have found a way to be happy in Cincinnati. But rest assured, if you can find happiness here, you can find it just about anywhere. The good news is that unlike many other cities that have the double-whammy of nothing going for it and a high cost of living, Cincinnati is very affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 03:22 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
I grew up in the burbs' in Cincinnati.

There is very little natural beauty, and yet very little urbanized activity. Downtown has a few college bars, a few professional bars, and that's about it. Very little to do in the city if overcooked noodles with grade D ground beef and cheese eaten as "tradition" isn't your thing. Double down on that if you don't suffer from alcoholism and an unhealthy love of professional sports. If you don't drop lines under your breathe about "ni**ers" when discussing politics, you'll probably find yourself out of place in the professional crowds at large. It's more Kentucky than Ohio in this regard.

The burbs' are what they are. Again, very little natural beauty in the area, so outdoor activities at large are minimal. The more wealthy areas that I grew up in have a very strange anti-intellectual vibe combined with raw Republicanism, social and economic(I wouldn't say conservatism-they like their infrastructure hand-outs, ironically). Bush campaigned in West Chester on the second term, to give you an idea. It's strongly pro-business, and the quintessential cookie cutter, strip mall feel.

Almost universally, the smartest folks I grew up with got out of town. Those who haven't generally can't afford to, which is a similar issue many in the Midwest face, as the dollar value is significantly different on both coasts. I'm sure some very great people have found a way to be happy in Cincinnati. But rest assured, if you can find happiness here, you can find it just about anywhere. The good news is that unlike many other cities that have the double-whammy of nothing going for it and a high cost of living, Cincinnati is very affordable.
Oh goodie---"It's" back.
....If you don't like Cincinnati that much, go away and DONT LOOK BACK!

Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 PM

770 posts, read 706,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Oh goodie---"It's" back.
....If you don't like Cincinnati that much, go away and DONT LOOK BACK!
I have. I'm giving an alternative perspective on the city, upon request from the original poster.

Stop whining so much, seriously. If you love Cincinnati good for you. I ain't mad acha!

Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 PM

620 posts, read 992,327 times
This place doesn't lack natural beauty AT ALL. Check out Indianapolis, Toledo, Columbus or even Chicago (besides the lake front) Cincinnati's steep hills and cliffs can't be matched in the midwest (especially during the fall). Drive into the city from Indiana on I-74 and tell me that this area isn't scenic West Chester and Mason on the other hand are typical mid-west landscapes

Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 PM

884 posts, read 2,313,485 times
Ahh Cincinnati.
I miss my familiar surroundings,cheap homes and local foods. Most of my college friends bailed for ATL and DC like 10yrs ago. These people were bright,talented and upper class African Americans. Hubby and I left in 07 and haven't looked back. I think the people that love it will defend it to the end and that is ok.
However Cincy has some major problems and as long as people stick fingers in their ears and refuse to listen things will not improve. There is no reason that Cincy doesn't have a larger upper class minority community.
I married a non Cincy native and he also felt like people were dismissive if you weren't a native. Its just a midwest thing.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 PM

13,718 posts, read 22,856,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Everywhere I lived I've know almost everyone on my street---it's because I choose to get out and the people i live next to, more people should try it
Easy to do in the midwest for the most part. Not easy to do it in Socal and certain other parts of the country where the people drive into the garage and put the door down ...

Old 11-30-2009, 11:09 AM

230 posts, read 557,265 times
As I've said in a couple other posts, I'm moving BACK to Cincinnati next year and recently bought a home in Anderson Township. I'm not even back yet and catching flack about thinking I'm better than others for deciding on the Anderson Township area as opposed to another. Like it's somehow not good enough to be concerned about placing my son in a good school district and being close to family that I have been away from for almost 21 years.

Here's the thing though, it's ALWAYS been that way here. You either find a way to make yourself happy with where you choose to be or choose to be somewhere else that will make you happy. Here's something else, it doesn't matter which you decide, only that you are happy.

Does Cincinnati have things that can be improved ?? Sure, what city doesn't ?? My wife and I were born and raised here and want to be abck around our families that are still here. Are there things I am going to miss that I have had the chances to do in many of the other cities I have lived in around the world ?? Sure, but it's the things I'm looking forward to doing with my son that I got to do when I was young that is going to be enjoyable for me.

I am looking forward to going to Bengals games, although I was told this past weekend I was home that it was a waste of my time. Reds games are always enjoyable, but some would also say why bother rooting for a team that doesn't contend ?? I love the food and things there are to do in Cincinnati and think some people must never bother to get out and see what's going on around them.

I can see why people that don't have ties to Cincinnati may not enjoy the city, but that can be said about any city you don't have ties to and doesn't make it a bad place. That being said, just because you do have ties (as I do) doesn't make it the be all and end all of places to live. It's simply where I fit best.

Either way around, I love Cincinnati and hope other people can find joy in the things I and my family do about the city. If not, here's to hoping you can find that somewhere else, because there's something to be said for finding the place you LOVE to be and building a life there.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:22 AM

13,718 posts, read 22,856,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Mark View Post
As I've said in a couple other posts, I'm moving BACK to Cincinnati next year and recently bought a home in Anderson Township. I'm not even back yet and catching flack about thinking I'm better than others for deciding on the Anderson Township area as opposed to another. Like it's somehow not good enough to be concerned about placing my son in a good school district and being close to family that I have been away from for almost 21 years.

Here's the thing though, it's ALWAYS been that way here. You either find a way to make yourself happy with where you choose to be or choose to be somewhere else that will make you happy. Here's something else, it doesn't matter which you decide, only that you are happy.
I would say that about 90% of my friends who have retired from the military have told me the second paragraph nearly word for word. I do believe that a lot of that stems from teh fact that many military installations are in less than desirable locations.

Agree with you completely. I have never moved back because I have never found a good job opportunity in the area compared to where I was working at the time.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,086 times
One thing that makes someone look extremely stupid ... is lay a blanket of generalizations over an entire group of people that happen to fall within a city boundary line. It's just moronic.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:20 AM

265 posts, read 827,039 times
Also "moronic" is burying your head in the sand and not listening to what others have to say. I did not notice anyone using generalizations that were not based on their personal experiences and they stated as much.

Here are my personal experiences living in Cincinnati for a (mercifully) brief period. There are parts of the city that are lovely. I had a doctor there I adored and would gladly commute to remain his patient if there was any way in the world I could justify laying out that kind of money.

But on the flipside of the coin, I was never able to make any good friends and it wasn't for lack of trying. In many ways, Cincinnati has a small town mentality when it comes to newcomers. You might find yourself accepted if you reside there for a certain (long) period of time, but don't move in thinking you will be welcomed with open arms. It's not going to happen, and it doesn't matter how nice you are, how many times you introduce yourself, how many neighborhood functions you attend, etc. Long time residents may have forgotten and "lifers" have never experienced it and judging from some of the other responses in this thread, I am not alone in my experiences/assessments.

In my 57 years, I've lived in several different areas in our beautiful country and I've never been so lonely as I was the two years I lived in Cincinnati.

Last edited by Grandma(in waiting); 12-04-2009 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati