Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post
] I did not notice anyone using generalizations that were not based on their personal experiences...

Generalizing an entire population that happen to fall within specific city boundaries (although, technically not in Cincinnati) and stating experiences based on a select few are two different points. The first is ridiculous (especially when using residents that call in to a radio show - how many callers can a radio show actually take?), especially when it's factually untrue (i.e. Cincy politics).

I've been back after 5 years and I've probably met 0.004% of the city population in person. If I were a statistician I would come to the conclusion that this is a "poor" sample.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 09:58 AM

265 posts, read 964,394 times
You seem to latch onto one or two things some people have said and overlook the big picture. But, you're probably a lifer or long time resident and I can understand why it's difficult to look at things through the eyes of others. You can believe me, not believe me, I really don't care since I don't have to deal with it any longer, but you seem to be representative of what is wrong with Cincinnati. "Everything's ok, it must be you". It's not always the other guy.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post
You seem to latch onto one or two things some people have said and overlook the big picture. But, you're probably a lifer or long time resident and I can understand why it's difficult to look at things through the eyes of others. You can believe me, not believe me, I really don't care since I don't have to deal with it any longer, but you seem to be representative of what is wrong with Cincinnati. "Everything's ok, it must be you". It's not always the other guy.
... and you seem to forget what you've just read. Even in the very post that you've just responded to ... it's clear that I previously moved here from somewhere else.

You obviously do care, or else you wouldn't respond.

... and how does "seeing error in generalizing hundreds of thousands of people that you've never met" translate into "everything is ok, it must be you?" lol

Old 12-04-2009, 12:13 PM

265 posts, read 964,394 times
The only reason I care is because I want to give an honest portrayal of how it is for a newcomer moving to Cincinnati. Your opinion doesn't matter, much like the opinions of other "fanboys" of any area whose opinions are so biased, they are incapable of an honest assessment.

I've seen your replies, on this thread and elsewhere, and like my sister used to say, "arguing on the internet proves nothing other than how stupid you are", although I especially liked your last statement in post 10 of this thread as it illustrates so beautifully the general attitude we encountered while living here. So, we shall agree to disagree.

To all of the others out there who are contemplating a move to Cincinnati, if at all possible, move here for a month or two to test the waters. My company allowed this, but stupidly, we didn't take them up on it. Had we done so, we would have run, not walked, in the opposite direction. When our two years were up, we couldn't move fast enough. Mileage may vary. You may find you love it here and I truly hope that is the case.

To all those who are happy living in Cincinnati, you either have a stronger constitution than me or were fortunate enough to meet people who welcomed you as neighbors and friends. I wish that had been the case for us, but it wasn't.

Last edited by Grandma(in waiting); 12-04-2009 at 12:29 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 01:47 PM

710 posts, read 3,046,153 times
^where in Cincinnati did you live?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 PM

22 posts, read 57,591 times
Default your kidding right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
This place doesn't lack natural beauty AT ALL. Check out Indianapolis, Toledo, Columbus or even Chicago (besides the lake front) Cincinnati's steep hills and cliffs can't be matched in the midwest (especially during the fall). Drive into the city from Indiana on I-74 and tell me that this area isn't scenic West Chester and Mason on the other hand are typical mid-west landscapes

i moved here in oct from SC, for contract work, thats it, But

there is no natural beauty here!!
ohio river?

please
hills?

SC has mtns on 1 end and hills beaches on other

so far

people way uptight here!!WTF !! i am from buffalo originally and damn!!

stuff closes down way too early

aside from religious fantics in SC , hell at least we got 24hr gyms!!

prices arent bad

what would all you do without sports? OMG!!

dowtown is seriously lacking, i mean for a metro area this size, i cruised it enough , night and day.

i hear hyde park area is ok, that the bright spot of cincy area?

i dont go to them, but i dont think cincy has even strip clubs!! LOL

yes i seen zoo, and theres the aquariurum, aside from my sinuses going nuts, and cold wether, i hope there more to cincy , so there a reason for me to stay.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,653 times
^^^

Ok then, I guess you must have Mountains, Hills, beaches and an ocean to have beautiful scenery Cincy isn't the greatest, but it's definately above avergae. Yeah I hate that things close early here, yeah it's cold in the winter for FOUR MONTHS out of Twelve, Yes our downtown could be better (but it's improving drastically by the minute) I've been to South Carolina and Buffalo, dont act like either of those 2 places are on another level than Cincy. This shouldn't be a dick measuring contest

Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
^where in Cincinnati did you live?
Yes, grandma(in waiting) ... where did you live?

beast360, your sense of genialness is on par with your grammar.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM

50 posts, read 154,123 times
Well everyone I did come back to Ohio, I live in Columbus the Reynoldsburg like the area a lot but I seem to burn up the highway going to Cincinnati to see the family. The cost of living is good, but HATE THIS SNOW!!! I will be here a year then off to Hawaii for 6mos to a year to be a Grandma................

Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 PM

50 posts, read 154,123 times
Trying to figure out how I can live in Reynoldsburg Ohio, From April-October and live in Hawaii from November-March each year and still keep a job!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati