U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,015 times

Advertisements

What is with this negativity!! Where you live and what you do are up to each individual. I was born and raised in Cincy. Lived in several areas around the city and found exactly what I needed and looked for in each area. It's not the other people --it's how and what you do that will help you find what you seek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 AM

42 posts, read 84,816 times
I am also a transplant here and over the past have made some negative comments about the city. I am trying to change that...

Although I am not a fan of the city (realized I am a west coaster), and really havent found the groove of the city or the "real" things to do here (seems to be only sports/drinking related) I have realized overcoming this cant be done without a huge paradigm shift (for me).

Getting involved in the discussions on these sites only emphasizes our already defined thoughts and we are either looking for validation or argument. Consider this validation from me.....

Ultimately however, it is upon us to find happiness wherever we are or wherever we go.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty_420 View Post
Ultimately however, it is upon us to find happiness wherever we are or wherever we go.
That's right. I lived for years in Colorado and before that lived for a couple years in Europe. Now after leaving Colorado by choice (not a job requirement) I am in Cincinnati to stay. The grass is always greener, and it is up to us to get the most out of where we live. Cincinnati has so many positives (history, architecture, cultural activities, family activities, low cost of living) that it is honestly a wonder to me that more people don't live in places like cincinnati or st louis or pittsburgh.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
If you think that anyone in Cincinnati gives more than a passing glance at your so-called opinion, then your life must truly exist in a vacuum...

Cincinnati is no Garden Of Eden, by any stretch of the imagination...but it IS a place that people have chosen to live and raise families in...you should read (and respect) more posts on here by folks like Wilson1010, HartwellGirl, Ohiogirl81 (who lives in PHILADELPHIA, and STILL has nice things to say about the city), CrewChief, Cincy-Rise, RestorationConsultant, GoyGuy (a veritable fountain of info, and HE doesn't live here either!)...the list goes on...

If your best shot is to sign up for this forum, solely for the purpose of issuing a snarky 1st post, then you're really reaching---or should I have said 'sadly stupid'?
If it didn't you wouldn't of replied to it.
Who cares what you think
You are from Cincinnati!
Nuff said! Irrelevant in every
Sense of the word Cincinnati is the
Vaccum with nothing to do
At all times and nowhere to go
Corniest city ever!!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 6,015 times
What does a city need to GIVE to you to make you like it? The city owes you NOTHING. No city does.
The place you call home is the place you feel loved, appreciated, worthwhile and secure. These are all things you must seek for yourself. No place or no person will ever fulfill your expectations if you do not exert effort to find these things yourself.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 PM

12 posts, read 20,623 times
This is the worst city I've ever encountered, detained here temporarly, but soon as I've completed my business here, I'm outta this loser city, not from here left came back to be with my mother before she died, someone recently killed my son on his way to the store across from children hospitals newest office building and parking lot, broad daylight. Curse this city it's so hot now I wish it would burn completely off the face of the earth.....

Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 AM

213 posts, read 709,738 times
Being a pilot for a large corporation, I've been to every major city and nearly every medium sized city in the country.....Lived in Daytona Beach, Newark, Rochester, Buffalo, Cincy and now Maui.....

With the exception of Seattle, I'd pick Cincy over most, if not all of them....Sure there are greater cities..NYC is awesome, but so is the COL...You can have L.A., I've spent maybe 30-50 nights there and it is not that great.. S.F. is really nice, and really nice and expensive...

Chicago is really cool too. But so are the winters...Orlando, Atlanta, Dallas, etc...are all ok.. But really big, populated, traffic congested cities....And depending how you view illegal immigrants???

Maui is awesome, but it does lack that home feel, and luckily for us we like the beach and water. But forget about shows, night life etc....And absolutely no professional sports.. We don't surf yet so are out of the loop on that so far..And the schools are a bit questionable.Cincy has some really great schools...

Cincy is just as nice as many other higher profile cities..Better weather than some worse than others, better cost of living than most, more sports than any small major city....Great zoo, great stadiums, many surrounding cities to visit. Great downtown profile driving down the I-75N hill. And great topography vs. cities like Dallas and Indy....

And if you like to play sports there are several flag football leagues, softball leagues etc.. I found a hardball league right after moving there in '04. And played in an awesome indoor flag footbalkl league in Colerain(sp?).

If I had a choice of where to live anywhere in the US.. ( And I did have that choice at one point) I'd pick Cincy.. We're in Maui now only because of the economy taking it's toll on my company. Which at some point will turn back around and I'll have my choice of cities once again. I'll be pushing for Cincy, the wife will make the decision!

Did I mention Teak Restaurant.. My favorite restaurant of all time!!!!

My wife has family North of the city so we are a little biased. But put it this way, she's from Cincy and I want to move back there more than she does.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:46 PM

42 posts, read 119,363 times
My boyfriend and I moved here from Rochester NY and have been here for 2 months and I already want to leave. We moved because he got a government job here and has to work there a year until he can apply for a higher position elsewhere. I am an amature landscape/nature photographer and am trying to make a career out of it. Being here only 2 months i can already tell this is not the place for me. There is no scenery here and absolutely no parks. The nearest decent park is two hours away and even that one is so-so. The only park I'm interested in is The Great Smokies which is 5 hours away. This is definitely no place for the out doorsie type who likes to hike/mountain bike/nature walk. 10 more months and we can look for somewhere else to live, thank goodness.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:27 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Hehe! Jodi you sound pretty unhappy. Rochester is a really pretty place what with the lake and all. And, Cincinnati is a lot more urban than Western NY. We do have a lot of photogenic stuff here but it is different stuff than you may have come across in NY or elsewhere. Give it a chance. When spring comes there will be a lot of stuff to photograph.

As for parks, there actually are some closer than the Smokies that you might be interested in. But, first, the Great Smokey Mountain National Forest is one of the largest national parks east of the Mississippi River and certainly there is nothing like it within 5 hours of Rochester, so you might want to think about that criticism. At 500,000 acres, it is hard to see a complaint that it isn't closer to Cincinnati as a real complaint.

In two months, and two of the least attractive months of the year for touring, I doubt that you have been to Hocking Hills, Mammoth Cave, Daniel Boone National Forest, Shawnee State Forest, Amish Country, Shakertown, Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge, or any of the dozens of other places within an easy drive from Cinciinati and any one of which could occupy much of an entire career for a serious naturalist photographer.

I say give it a chance. Even if you look out your back window you might find something photogenic.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:36 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi92790 View Post
My boyfriend and I moved here from Rochester NY and have been here for 2 months and I already want to leave. We moved because he got a government job here and has to work there a year until he can apply for a higher position elsewhere. I am an amature landscape/nature photographer and am trying to make a career out of it. Being here only 2 months i can already tell this is not the place for me. There is no scenery here and absolutely no parks. The nearest decent park is two hours away and even that one is so-so. The only park I'm interested in is The Great Smokies which is 5 hours away. This is definitely no place for the out doorsie type who likes to hike/mountain bike/nature walk. 10 more months and we can look for somewhere else to live, thank goodness.
Most people come to Cincinnati photograph architecture, not nature, but I think we actually have it pretty good in terms of parks compared to most cities. But, this is not an outdoorsman's paradise by any means. No cities are, in my opinion.

I don't know what you have checked out but Eden Park, Alms Park, Ault Park, Mt Airy Forest, and French Park are all wonderful. I live in the City and can be on a wooded trail in about 5 minutes. Not bad for a city. The trails are pretty good and a lot less crowded than they are in many cities. We actually have, per capita, more parks than almost any city in the country.

East Fork state park is a short drive and a little further afield you have red river gorge and hocking hills.

I can't convince you to like Cincy, but do take some time to check out our parks.

Also, Spring Grove Cemetery is amazing in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati