U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 05:39 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Most people come to Cincinnati photograph architecture, not nature, but I think we actually have it pretty good in terms of parks compared to most cities. But, this is not an outdoorsman's paradise by any means. No cities are, in my opinion.

I don't know what you have checked out but Eden Park, Alms Park, Ault Park, Mt Airy Forest, and French Park are all wonderful. I live in the City and can be on a wooded trail in about 5 minutes. Not bad for a city. The trails are pretty good and a lot less crowded than they are in many cities. We actually have, per capita, more parks than almost any city in the country.

East Fork state park is a short drive and a little further afield you have red river gorge and hocking hills.

I can't convince you to like Cincy, but do take some time to check out our parks.

Also, Spring Grove Cemetery is amazing in many ways.
After you exhaust the extensive list of Cincinnati Parks, then you can go through the Hamilton Co. Parks, Sharon Woods, Winton Woods, Miami Whitewater, etc. one of the largest county park systems in the country. After that branch out a little further to the Ohio State parks like East Fork Lake, Caesar Creek, Cowan Lake, Stonelick Lake, Deer Creek, Hueston Woods, etc.

Then you have the many great parks in KY, some of which have been mentioned, but one of my favorites is Natural Bridge, with the obvious bridge and the gorge. Talk about scenery, this has to take a 2nd seat to no one.

For spectacular mountain views, etc. the Smokeys are it and we are fortunate they are as close as they are. But for just actual good natural experiences we don't have to apologize to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:16 AM

526 posts, read 1,259,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi92790 View Post
I am an amature landscape/nature photographer and am trying to make a career out of it. Being here only 2 months i can already tell this is not the place for me. There is no scenery here and absolutely no parks.
If that is the way you approach photography, you will never be successful! It's not the subject but the photographer that makes a great work of photographic art.

I venture to say that anyone can take a good - even great picture of majestic landscapes. It takes a real artist to make a work of art out of the more mundane.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:09 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,844,339 times
To say that Cincinnati doesn't have a good park system is ludicrous. We are the San Francisco of the Midwest.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:22 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,414,398 times
Yea, but she was hot so she gets the LP treatment and she did have a couple of good photos on her Flicker page. Otherwise I would have slammed her.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:08 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,836,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Yea, but she was hot so she gets the LP treatment and she did have a couple of good photos on her Flicker page. Otherwise I would have slammed her.
I was waiting for someone to. Rochester can't even compare with Cincy on any level.

BTW, checked out your photos. Beautiful house!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:13 PM

42 posts, read 119,417 times
I am still working on improving my photography. I only just turned 20 and have only had a nice DSLR camera for less than 2 years. And yes there are beautiful hills here but I can't really photograph too many of them because there are so many poles, wires, houses and buildings that obstruct my view ( I don't use photoshop so I can't just edit them out). I know I still have a lot of exploring to do but I have been to Kentucky before, fall 2009 and visited a few parks such as Bernheim Forest. I am planning to visit the Natural arches parks and the Gorge once it gets warmer. You may not think Rochester is a beautiful place but I lived in North Greece which was very nice down by the lake. There are a lot of wetland type parks there too which are beautiful. I know a good photographer can take great pictures anywhere, but this place just doesn't interest me too much so I don't really have the want to go out and take photos like I did back in Rochester. I need inspiration and Cincinnati does not inspire me. And wilson1010 thanks for not bashing me . I guess I got spoiled with having multiple parks on the lake within a 20 minute drive, even a nice one right across the street. We also had the Adirondacks not too far away which are beautiful, never got a chance to visit them after I got my nice camera though. And it's not that I can't take good picture here, I just don't find anything that interests ME, photography is also something that I just do for fun and eventually want to make a career out of it. I don't like parks that are just filled with trees, I like places that are more unique and have something special about them. I enjoy taking photos of beautiful landscapes and animals. I DON'T enjoy taking pictures of trees, grass and cities.

Jodi

Last edited by jodi92790; 12-27-2010 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 04:30 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,414,398 times
I really like some of your photographs. I was joking about bashing you. I know you are young and frustrated by relocation to a place that doesn't seem to meet your needs. Be patient. There are a lot of good photographers here and maybe you can look at some of their stuff for ideas. Introduce yourself to the folks over at Robin Imaging. Scott is a person there who will help you with your printing and other imaging needs. Its on Central Parkway. For supplies and repair not purchased online, visit Provident Camera on 7th Street.

Post up some of your photos. I think everyone would be interested.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,750,175 times
She might need to take a road trip out toward Chillicothe and Portsmouth, particularly the area around Buzzards Roost Rock, Fort Hill, etc. "The Edge of Appalachia". That is more landscape photography country.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,727,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi92790 View Post
I am still working on improving my photography. I only just turned 20 and have only had a nice DSLR camera for less than 2 years. And yes there are beautiful hills here but I can't really photograph too many of them because there are so many poles, wires, houses and buildings that obstruct my view ( I don't use photoshop so I can't just edit them out). I know I still have a lot of exploring to do but I have been to Kentucky before, fall 2009 and visited a few parks such as Bernheim Forest. I am planning to visit the Natural arches parks and the Gorge once it gets warmer. You may not think Rochester is a beautiful place but I lived in North Greece which was very nice down by the lake. There are a lot of wetland type parks there too which are beautiful. I know a good photographer can take great pictures anywhere, but this place just doesn't interest me too much so I don't really have the want to go out and take photos like I did back in Rochester. I need inspiration and Cincinnati does not inspire me. And wilson1010 thanks for not bashing me . I guess I got spoiled with having multiple parks on the lake within a 20 minute drive, even a nice one right across the street. We also had the Adirondacks not too far away which are beautiful, never got a chance to visit them after I got my nice camera though. And it's not that I can't take good picture here, I just don't find anything that interests ME, photography is also something that I just do for fun and eventually want to make a career out of it. I don't like parks that are just filled with trees, I like places that are more unique and have something special about them. I enjoy taking photos of beautiful landscapes and animals. I DON'T enjoy taking pictures of trees, grass and cities.

Jodi
Thanks for taking the time to follow up. UC has some continuing education classes...there is an advanced photography DSLR one. You could probably meet some good photographers and it is at least a way to pass the time.

Continuing Education (http://www.uc.edu/ce/commu/noncreditreg/browseClasses.aspx?classId=_1UE10F9B5 - broken link)

It is like 6 weeks, once a week, cost is about $150

Old 12-28-2010, 09:10 AM

42 posts, read 119,417 times
I'll def take a look at some of those parks that were posted. And that photography class isn't a bad idea, it would give me something to do since I can't seem to get a job. It was the same back in NY, couldn't get a job to save my life. I have a degree in medical assisting and was going to go back to get my degree in Nursing... but I decided that's not what I want to do with my life. I'd rather enjoy my life doing what I love instead of working myself to death in a hospital lol. But yeah we are def going to do some road trips now that my boyfriend has a good paying stable job for once. So let me know if you guys know anymore nice areas that are within a few hours drive.

Jodi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati