U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Speaking as a Cincinnati area transplant, I can tell you that this area isn't transplant-friendly. Between the two cities, I'd pick Savannah immediately. If I were from here and/or had a significant number of family members here, then logically I'd pick Cincinnati.
As for us, we were welcomed with open arms on our street when we moved here. We have block parties, cookouts, and the ladies who stay home get together for lunch. All this because we simply live near each other. When i'm working outside, the neighbors regularly come by to s-t-s. It's a good life and I really couldn't ask for anything more in terms of being "transplant friendly." I can't speak for the whole 2+ million region, but I can speak for my street and if someone moves here they are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM

89 posts, read 158,622 times
I've found my area quite open to (and full of) transplants. I guess it just depends on your neighborhood. Clifton Gaslight is a pretty friendly place as far as I've experienced it.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:48 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,898,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
As for us, we were welcomed with open arms on our street when we moved here. We have block parties, cookouts, and the ladies who stay home get together for lunch. All this because we simply live near each other. When i'm working outside, the neighbors regularly come by to s-t-s. It's a good life and I really couldn't ask for anything more in terms of being "transplant friendly." I can't speak for the whole 2+ million region, but I can speak for my street and if someone moves here they are welcomed.
I wish I could say the same for my neighborhood. Some of neighbors are nice as individuals, but then there are some "characters" that I just would rather not associate with. And I live in a good neighborhood, although it's about 1-2 blocks away from riff-raff. While I've only lived in one nabe, I've visited many others.

I don't think Greater Cincinnati particularly targets transplants or excludes transplants from social circles simply because they're transplants. I just think Cincinnati is simply that cliquish; okay, so many places are cliquish and people tend to hang out with those with whom they are familiar. I'm the same way. But the attitudes of many I meet here are p*ss poor and enough to make me not want to get to know them.

Whatever neighborhood you live in, progmac and Arctic_6, must be a rarity for Greater Cincy.

I really wanted to like Cincinnati. In fact, I really did at first. But it's got to the point where I leave town every 1-2 weekends just to get away.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:48 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,652,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I wish I could say the same for my neighborhood. Some of neighbors are nice as individuals, but then there are some "characters" that I just would rather not associate with. And I live in a good neighborhood, although it's about 1-2 blocks away from riff-raff. While I've only lived in one nabe, I've visited many others.

I don't think Greater Cincinnati particularly targets transplants or excludes transplants from social circles simply because they're transplants. I just think Cincinnati is simply that cliquish; okay, so many places are cliquish and people tend to hang out with those with whom they are familiar. I'm the same way. But the attitudes of many I meet here are p*ss poor and enough to make me not want to get to know them.

Whatever neighborhood you live in, progmac and Arctic_6, must be a rarity for Greater Cincy.

I really wanted to like Cincinnati. In fact, I really did at first. But it's got to the point where I leave town every 1-2 weekends just to get away.
Perhaps it's the neighborhood you live in that's the rarity.

I'm not from Cincinnati, but I have moved to this city twice - once in 2000 and again last fall. Both times I have felt entirely welcomed with people genuinely excited to include me in whatever is going on. I've never once felt excluded or out of place.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 PM

62 posts, read 128,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthomas1999 View Post
What cities are you referring to here? Sounds, like your touting yourself as being a great American etc, with a huge chip on your shoulder and playing a victim. I've been called allot of bad names in my times, but never generalized a whole area, RACE and community.
WOW, I wrote that almost 2 years ago and it still strikes a cord. Most active "defenders of the holy Grail" of Cincinnati on city-data chose to ignore me rather than give my piece weight by responding with a quote no less. Clearly, you are new here (City-Data) and perhaps not as perceptive. Regarding your question, Cincinnati has not been considered a major city since the 1970's. A major city is now defined as a metropolis.

I will let the piece stand on it's own without further qualification as judged by the numerous inquiries and comments that I continue to receive by people mostly supportive of my views on the topic.

My wife and I will never forget what we experienced while living in Cincinnati OH. It has definitely changed the way we see race relations in different parts of the country. It has been well documented and we hope share it with the country very soon.

As for your comments regarding having a chip on shoulder and being a victim etc. surely you realize that these are typical comments usually used by individuals who believe that non-whites behave in this way. I think the comments say more about you than me. My family taught me that the best revenge is living well. Life is good. Capitalism is Good. God Bless America!

Thank you for being moved to write by my comments....

Last edited by Authenticity; 05-27-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati