U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:12 AM

526 posts, read 1,259,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca_fan View Post
* Level of cultural activities: there's some stuff going on in Cincinnati, but it's modest at best. The downtown is not as vibrant as it could have been. I don't usually see many people in downtown (even during this time of the year, I don't see many people around Fountain Square, which as I understand is the one of the focal points of the city). Or even in a place like Hyde Park square, which is considered one of the nicer areas here, there's not much to do apart from a few restaurants. The small park there is nice and Graeter's ice-cream is great, but there is little street life. My friends rate Newport (which is right across the river) highly but even that gets old after a few visits (and where are the people? even on weekend evenings, I don't see that many people). I've been looking for things to do around Christmas and 31st for the last 2 years but couldn't really find much to my liking. I spent 4 years in NYC and got a buzz just from seeing people walk on the street (instead of driving all the time), site-seeing, and watching something spontaneous happening on the streets. Cincinnati, on the other hand, is very spread out (you pretty much have to drive everywhere) and feels very suburban to me.
You are correct, Cincinnati does not offer the level of "go and be entertained" opportunities as New York or Chicago -- but then few places do.

Since you are stuck here for the next two years anyway, why not adopt the philosophy my mom used tell us -- if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Pick up a City Beat newspaper or go on line meetup.com -- look for a group that has similar interests; become a big brother/sister; volunteer somewhere. I promise you, it will be more fulfilling than any "cultural activity" you could find in New York.

There are a number of churches that host groups of young people; you don't have to belong to the congregation or even be Christian to participate. Check them out.

Then in two years, you can go on your way to bigger and better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 AM

682 posts, read 1,387,611 times
Default Taxes high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSMom2009 View Post
I have been here 3 years. The chili is a joke. The only friends my family has made is with others transplants. The public transportation is a awful. The taxes are high. If your not a Christian and a Republican, it's hard to fit in. I have 2 years left before I can transfer. Can't wait.
Youv'e got to be kidding about taxes being high. We are moving from Cincinnati to Indianapolis and the property taxes on our 2 bedroom, 1500 square foot, 1915 craftsman bungalow are 3000.00 a year! I know people who live in old victorians in some areas near downtown Indy whose property taxes are 15,000 a year!

By comparison the taxes are dirt cheap in Cincinanti. Cincinnati is one of the true bargains compared to most midwestern cities.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 AM

561 posts, read 1,779,189 times
I have to disagree. Taxes in Cincinnati are very high. (Don't interpret this as a defense of HSMon2009's trolling posts. I'm just responding to the tax statement).

Cincy does have a pretty high property tax rate. Perhaps it seems lower because real estate values in Cincy are so dirt cheap? REgardless of the rate, if your home only costs $200k you'll be paying less taxes than if you lived in a metro where you had to pay $400k to get a decent house. But the actual rate is not cheap.

Plus, taxes are about way more than property tax. The state and city income taxes REALLY add up.

For example, my parents in Florida own a house that's about twice as valuable as mine with an income at least 3 times my family income. Yet they only pay about $3,000 per year in combined city/state taxes!!!

Yet here in Cincy, we are going to pay OVER $10,000 in annual city/state tax!! Again, despite having a third of their income and living in half the value home. It's really quite absurd. (And that federal deduction doesn't even begin to make up the difference).

So in that context, it's beyond me how Ohio ever expects to turn around its population loss with taxes like that. Especially when they match up so poorly against a state with much better weather.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:15 PM

682 posts, read 1,387,611 times
Joe:

A partially restored victorian in downtown indy neighborhoods ( if you can find one) will set one back 250-350K and you are looking at 5-6000 a year in property taxes and probably another 100K in restoration, which will also kick in on the assesed value when you pull permits. I can buy a even nicer one in Cincinnati for 60-100K. Not to mention the 10 yr tax abatement on the restoration costs, something not offered in Indy. So for me, Cincinnati is a much better deal.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM

9 posts, read 39,259 times
As a Californian considering a relocation, i find this quite amusing! Thank you for your honest input.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 9,855 times
I grew up here. I've also been blessed to have lived other places. Cincinnati is a joke. This city doesn't know it's dead yet. Kentucky and Indiana run rings around us and we scratch our heads and wonder why. An accumulated anti-business climate has destroyed the tax base of this city. Over the Rhine is a blight that has survived for over 40 years, which after City Council itself, is the #1 reason no-one goes downtown at night. Don't believe me, ask someone how far they'll go above Central Parkway west of Walnut St. after dark. I hang out downtown so I'm not just talking to hear my own voice. I meet people from other parts of the country that have moved here and my first question is "WHY"? Happiest days :leaving here. Saddest: returning.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:08 PM

66 posts, read 166,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timm10827 View Post
I grew up here. I've also been blessed to have lived other places. Cincinnati is a joke. This city doesn't know it's dead yet. Kentucky and Indiana run rings around us and we scratch our heads and wonder why. An accumulated anti-business climate has destroyed the tax base of this city. Over the Rhine is a blight that has survived for over 40 years, which after City Council itself, is the #1 reason no-one goes downtown at night. Don't believe me, ask someone how far they'll go above Central Parkway west of Walnut St. after dark. I hang out downtown so I'm not just talking to hear my own voice. I meet people from other parts of the country that have moved here and my first question is "WHY"? Happiest days :leaving here. Saddest: returning.
We are tired of hearing from negative people that don't like it here. We really don't care. As others have said, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Don't return if it makes you sad! Hope you like it wherever you end up because most people don't realize what a great area Cincinnati metro is until they leave. Many people spend their time in a negative bubble and don't go out and do anything. More than likely, if you live with this mentality, the next place you move to isn't going to be any better. There is so much to do in this metro of 2 million people that it is amazing to hear the same thing over and over. What exactly are you people looking for? What is it that other cities have that make them so much more appealing to you? Cincinnati has some of the best suburbs, schools,and places to raise a family. The city is undergoing a transformation in many areas. It is affordable here. You can actually go out and do stuff. There are great museums, festivals, pro sports teams, tons of theatres, restaurants and many different communities. The city and county's park systems are one of the best in the country. There are many nearby recreational activities, state parks, and even skiing. The metro as a whole is one of the safest in the country. Every city is going to have bad areas. Though certain other metros may have more people, a lot you can do in other cities you can do right here in Cincinnati, without all the traffic and hassle. Just get up and look around! Pick up a local magazine or check out cincinnatiusa.com. Don't t say there is nothing to do in this city.

Last edited by cincyohguy; 06-17-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 03:09 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Yet here in Cincy, we are going to pay OVER $10,000 in annual city/state tax!! Again, despite having a third of their income and living in half the value home. It's really quite absurd. (And that federal deduction doesn't even begin to make up the difference).

So in that context, it's beyond me how Ohio ever expects to turn around its population loss with taxes like that. Especially when they match up so poorly against a state with much better weather.

I saved close to $7,000 in state and local taxes the first year I moved from Cuyahoga Co. to Chicagoland. I have to admit that tax situation was the final consideration that convinced me to move.

When companies select new locations, you better believe that there personal taxation is one of their considerations.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 AM

62 posts, read 128,845 times
I agree with barca_fan & HSMom2009 completely, unfortunately the response from Cincy-Rise is typical of the locals here (No acceptance of any alternative thoughts).

My wife and I have lived here for 8 loooong years and have finally given up. While it should not matter, I am an african american. I am also a Professional person. When I moved here I was at the top of my field(s) and had my own consulting firm. I had been published some industry trade magazines and after much success in the Washington DC metropolitan area as well as Charlotte NC I had no reason to believe things would be any different here(That was INCORRECT).

After liquidating my firm, I took a job with a National Firm with a local presence. In getting straight to point, around my one year anniversary I received an email from my SUPERVISOR which contained the transcript of a speech by Dr. Martin Luther King which talked about the "Negro" still not being free. (Yes, I kept both an electronic and paper copies of the email as proof). In the spirit of being brief I am leaving a lot out, but we all know how things can be at the office when bad so...just use your imagination.

The following are specific examples of our experiences here.

Summer 2002 (Sharonville, OH) - I said good morning to someone in line at a Wendy's and received the following response. "Where is my Ni*&er gun?". I'm not kidding.

Aug 2005 - Oct 2007 (Downtown Lofts) - As a black man I could not go into a store unless I was dressed in a shirt & slacks without being followed while other white males dressed in sweats shopped freely.

I could go on but I think all that read this will get the idea.

Cincinnati is LIVING PROOF that poverty and ignorance are not the result of race but of economics and education. There are MANY poor/lower middle class(economically speking) white people here that fit the "so called" black steotypes of...Low HS graduation rates, teen pregnancy, young white men who do not take care of these out of wedlock children etc...

While people consume alcohol everywhere (including me), alcohol abuse is RAMPANT in this area. It is as though they have nothing else to do. Excess alcohol consumption is a definite turn-off for me and my wife because we see it so much here.

This area likes to define itself as been conservative and having morals. I'm sorry but that is simply NOT THE CASE.

The reality is that people in this area (OH, KY, IN) are SOCIAL CONSERVATIVES (Read: Racists or at a minimum seperatists), but they are ECONOMIC LIBERALS (Read: Pro Union, Seniority over Ability, Anti Capitalist). These folks think that they are "entitled" to success simply because they completed school. They still live in the INDUSTRIAL AGE although it died with the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989. One would think with two "first class" universities in the city people would be better informed.

In fact, I would bet that if Bill Gates grew up in Cincinnati we would not have Microsoft since he only went to college for two semesters(Source: 2009 Charlie Rose interview with both Jr. & Sr Gates) and no one is the world could be successful without a degree!

BOTTOM LINE: The city has potential but.....These people do not want outsiders here (White, Black or other) so let them have it. This city will drown in the wave of globalization that has come upon us. There are a lot of people from either coast that would love to get out of the rat race and live in a place like this. However, no one wants to move backwards by 30+ years which is what you must do to get along here and have a social life.

Last edited by Authenticity; 06-19-2009 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: new paragraph + additional grammer edits

Old 06-19-2009, 11:06 AM

844 posts, read 1,769,042 times
Quote:
I wanted to share some of my thoughts on the city
Appreciated, as Cinci is on my list of possible places to live one day.

Quote:
A bit too conservative
This is a good thing, though. Would you rather live in a place where taxes are sky high and people have no morals? How about Obama's home... worst schools in the nation, but at least they don't care about you I guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati