U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,890,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
This area is by no means diverse.
Yes, there in lies the trade off, my point being that when you have a toddler time & money>diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:36 PM

42 posts, read 139,029 times
do not look at kentucky at all if you're looking for diversity. I'm from there, and diversity is unheard of, stay in cincinnati..

Old 01-13-2009, 07:43 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,845,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Yes, there in lies the trade off, my point being that when you have a toddler time & money>diversity.
So ... there are no babies in the city of Cincinnati. Gotcha.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 PM

455 posts, read 1,669,145 times
You could just live anywhere that fits your fancy. If you insist on not creating your own diversity, I recommend Hartwell.

Smooches xo
HD

Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 AM

884 posts, read 2,312,461 times
Finneytown is a great area!.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 AM

15 posts, read 38,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I totally appreciate the thought. Living in L.A., I have an hour plus commute, each way, to-and-from work, which makes your suggestion tempting. However, I think moving to a homogeneous neighborhood in the South is going to be too much of a culture shock for us.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,562,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
You could just live anywhere that fits your fancy. If you insist on not creating your own diversity, I recommend Hartwell.

Smooches xo
HD
Thank you HD...I recommend that neighborhood as well!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,119 times
Compared to LA standards, a commute to CVG from anywhere in the Cincinnati area won't be a problem, I assure you.

At some point in your time here you'll probably overhear Cincinnatians cursing up and down about traffic, and you'll be asking yourself, "what traffic?"

Old 01-22-2009, 05:06 AM

1,008 posts, read 640,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut's mom View Post
My family and I will be moving to Cincinnati in 3 months. I've read a few of the threads and I'm still not sure in what neighborhoods to consider looking for a rental. My husband will be working at the airport so we need to live no more than 30 minutes to/from there. We have a toddler and would prefer a family-oriented area (parks, schools). We don't need a luxury home in a high-end neighborhood. Just would like something middle class, safe, and clean. I think my biggest concern is finding a neighborhood with a bit of diversity. What should we expect in regards to ethnic and cultural diversity?

You said you want a safe city, yet you plan on moving to Cincinnati... You've just contradicted yourself.

Cincinnati regularly ranks in the top 20 in terms of most dangerous cities in the United States. In years when it doesn't rank in the top 20, it is still in the top 30.

If you have a family, assuming you care about their safety, moving to Cincinnati is reckless and irresponsible. I would suggest finding some nice place in the adjacent county of Clermont, and commute to Cincinnati if your job is located inside city limits.

There are a number of cities in Ohio that you couldn't pay me enough to live in...

Cleveland
Cincinnati
Dayton
Columbus
Toledo
Akron
Youngstown

Most of those cities have repeatedly made the list of the top 25 most dangerous cities in the nation. Check the 2007 list! Youngstown, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Dayton, all four made the list.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:23 AM

1,008 posts, read 640,736 times
When people talk about diversity, what they typically mean is cosmetic diversity, as in people who have a different skin color and are immediately recognizable as being different.

What they often ignore is intellectual diversity, diversity of thoughts/opinions/values/ideas, etc.

When you're in Ohio, you'll find that the state is a majority White state, but you'll find that the Whites are from backgrounds such as Italian, Russian, Croatian, French, German, English, Irish, etc. These people are hardly carbon copies of each other. Likewise you'll find rural dwellers, city folks, suburbanites, and people who have ideas ranging from conservative and liberal, to libertarian or constitutionalist. There's no lack of diversity of ideas and values in Ohio.

If all you mean when you say "diversity" is "few white people" then you might be served by moving to Detroit, New York City, or simply staying in Los Angeles.

The idea that people in Ohio, just because it is a majority White state, are all the same and have no diversity amongst themselves, is pernicious, incorrect, and it is an insult to people who have a wide variety of ideas and beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati