U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 AM
 
4 posts, read 6,362 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Pick up a newspaper the Cincinnati Enquirer can tell you how much crime is in Cincinnati. It is 1 to 2 per month or more. Since word got out that Cincinnati is a safe city, it has not been the same. However it is once again turning around.

Skiparoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 644,765 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humlermw View Post
You seem incredibly self-obsorbed. An almost narcissitic need to talk about yourself. Why would you post comments to a person asking what a city is like if you never even come here.

Why did she make it a point to say that she is glad I don't live in Cincinnati?

I've been to Cincinnati before, but hardly ever by choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
 
2,204 posts, read 5,857,610 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiparoo View Post
drive. I would suggest Kentucky because the traffic horrendous in Cincinnati. Kentucky is not as diverse, however. Western Hills may be your first choice, as it is much closer and diverse, also. You may want to check both in relation to the airport and the traffic along with the diversity. I hope this will give you a start. Good Luck. Skiparoo
Skip, West Chester is far from diverse. We've covered this. Whites make up about ~38,000 of the ~43,000 residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 05:14 PM
 
2,204 posts, read 5,857,610 times
Reputation: 383
OhioUberAlles, you know what...

After reading your post on the other page about a rural environment, I think I understand you better. I don't or can't fault you for being who you are. We all aren't the same and we all have to learn to appreciate that. I respect who you are and I won't put you down for being who you are.

I live in the city. I can walk to Fountain Square in 15 minutes or less. I can throw a rock from where I live and it will land in OTR. I live 2 feet from my neighbors. I enjoy a diverse community. I would probably go nuts if I lived in a rural environment. I don't enjoy hunting. The last time I went camping -I brought an iron.

What I don't respect is people moving to gated, white picket fenced, fear driven, robot, white neighborhoods, because of their false perceptions. I do respect someone that says, "it is what it is, but you know what, the city life isn't for me." ... Those are two different types of people and THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

Don't hate the city because it's a city. Just because we don't have something in common, we shouldn't dislike each other ... we should respect each other's differences. Remember, there are God-fearing, evangelical, Christians that also live in the city. I could be one ... brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,411,781 times
Reputation: 7965
He sounds like one of those survivalists I would prefer a civilized urban way of life, though. There is no point in avoiding places that have problems. This way things will only get worse for those already or still living there. Actually, the more people with jobs move in, the more taxes the city will receive. This means more money to invest in education, infrastructure, police, etc. which in turn will make the city as a whole safer as poverty decreases.
I find it worrisome when people living happily in Cincinnati and similar places are made to feel like they are living in Iraq. At the moment Cincy is still #1 on my list of potential relocation places.

I guess any big city has a crime problem, even places like Macon, GA have a higher crime index than Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 644,765 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
OhioUberAlles, you know what...

After reading your post on the other page about a rural environment, I think I understand you better. I don't or can't fault you for being who you are. We all aren't the same and we all have to learn to appreciate that. I respect who you are and I won't put you down for being who you are.

I live in the city. I can walk to Fountain Square in 15 minutes or less. I can throw a rock from where I live and it will land in OTR. I live 2 feet from my neighbors. I enjoy a diverse community. I would probably go nuts if I lived in a rural environment. I don't enjoy hunting. The last time I went camping -I brought an iron.

What I don't respect is people moving to gated, white picket fenced, fear driven, robot, white neighborhoods, because of their false perceptions. I do respect someone that says, "it is what it is, but you know what, the city life isn't for me." ... Those are two different types of people and THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

Don't hate the city because it's a city. Just because we don't have something in common, we shouldn't dislike each other ... we should respect each other's differences. Remember, there are God-fearing, evangelical, Christians that also live in the city. I could be one ... brother.

Do note, I'm not an evangelical, they want to take over the world or at least convert everybody. I just want to be left alone with my bible, my guns, my family, my property, etc, to pursue my own lifestyle. I could care less if somebody in Mali, Mauritania, or Bangladesh doesn't want to read my bible, accept Jesus as the Messiah, and worship God.

What worries me is that the globalists, capitalists, marxists, and so-called "conservatives" (neo-cons) basically want to destroy the family (despite what the neo-cons say, since their actions/policies speak louder than words), and have the state assume total control of all children, so they can be made into nice compliant serfs.

Personally I have no use for this (or any) government, and I don't want to them to give me anything, I want them to leave me alone. I don't really care if Sally and Susan or Bill and Larry want to get married, since I don't believe the state should have any role in marriage. Marriage exists in the eyes of God, the state can pronounce two people married, they can pronounce a man and a cow married, but that doesn't mean anything in the reality of the Kingdom that is at hand. If you're not married in the eyes of God, you're not married in the eyes of God, period. If the state wants to call it marriage, or refuse to call it marriage, it doesn't mean anything. What matters is what scripture says and what God's will is. The state should have no role in marriage, it's not a business contract, it's a personal/private union. The state has worked incessantly to turn it into nothing more than a business contract because they want control over everything!

The statists want to tell you where you will live, what course of study (if any) you will be allowed to pursue, what your career will be, who you will marry, when and how many children you will have (of course your children will be taken away and raised by the state, as in Cuba where children spend six days per week at government run farms/work-camps, returning home on day seven), how you will spend your free-time. They want to monitor everything you do, from the moment you get up until the moment you go to sleep. They want to know everything you write, everything you say on the phone, everything you post online, probably everything you think and dream. Basically they want a global version of 1984 with aspects of Brave New World. I want a global version of "leave me the hell alone."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,411,781 times
Reputation: 7965
Sounds like a serious case of paranoia...
Hey, if I get married, it will mean something, although I am an atheist
The reason the state wants to make sure your children are educated according to official standards is that in modern times it is largely responsible for taking care of the unemployed. When your children don't find a job because of home or no schooling, it won't be enough for you to shoot a deer every week or so. I guess humanity is way beyond that stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 03:02 AM
 
8 posts, read 10,577 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
When people talk about diversity, what they typically mean is cosmetic diversity, as in people who have a different skin color and are immediately recognizable as being different.

What they often ignore is intellectual diversity, diversity of thoughts/opinions/values/ideas, etc.

When you're in Ohio, you'll find that the state is a majority White state, but you'll find that the Whites are from backgrounds such as Italian, Russian, Croatian, French, German, English, Irish, etc. These people are hardly carbon copies of each other. Likewise you'll find rural dwellers, city folks, suburbanites, and people who have ideas ranging from conservative and liberal, to libertarian or constitutionalist. There's no lack of diversity of ideas and values in Ohio.

If all you mean when you say "diversity" is "few white people" then you might be served by moving to Detroit, New York City, or simply staying in Los Angeles.

The idea that people in Ohio, just because it is a majority White state, are all the same and have no diversity amongst themselves, is pernicious, incorrect, and it is an insult to people who have a wide variety of ideas and beliefs.
Sorry, can't agree. I moved to Ohio from WA. State some years ago (long story, ending in divorce with me stuck here until the housing market improves). The very first thing I noticed was the racism. People here actually use the "N" word, they whisper it in a conspiratorial manner but still use it! Next thing the rigid opinions politically, no polite discussion, it is either you are on the "red' or the "blue" team here. And it's mostly red.

Third, it is well known to be racist and that goes both ways, but PoC definitely get hit worse. I don't really like Cincinnati. I have lived a lot of places and this is by far the worst. There is not much to do, no wilderness areas or even decent large parks. Developers are out of control and no one seems to care. Wages are low relatively speaking and well, quite frankly it is boring. People either box themselves up in their silly, poorly built mini mcmansions, go to ball games or talk about Nascar, or b#tch about liberals. Yawn. There are no good bike paths, lots of crime, and god forbid if you are vegetarian. The economy has gone to he11 too! I know it is bad in other places but we have Middletown, which is on the top 10 list of Forbes fastest dying cities, entire malls closing, and wages are going down all the time. Cincinnati itself made the top 10 list of places people would LEAST like to live. People freely make generalizations about other cultures...Indians are cheap and bossy, PoC are lazy, Mexicans are all illegal and stealing all the jobs,Asian restaurant owners are putting cats in your food and so on....

Sorry Cincinnati lovers but that is my opinion and I am looking forward to leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 01:14 PM
 
2,204 posts, read 5,857,610 times
Reputation: 383
^ *coming from someone that moved here that was home to the city with the highest suicide rate* ... Gotcha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 05:36 PM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,510,699 times
Reputation: 8244
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphneand tom View Post
Sorry, can't agree. I moved to Ohio from WA. State some years ago (long story, ending in divorce with me stuck here until the housing market improves). The very first thing I noticed was the racism. People here actually use the "N" word, they whisper it in a conspiratorial manner but still use it! Next thing the rigid opinions politically, no polite discussion, it is either you are on the "red' or the "blue" team here. And it's mostly red.

Third, it is well known to be racist and that goes both ways, but PoC definitely get hit worse. I don't really like Cincinnati. I have lived a lot of places and this is by far the worst. There is not much to do, no wilderness areas or even decent large parks. Developers are out of control and no one seems to care. Wages are low relatively speaking and well, quite frankly it is boring. People either box themselves up in their silly, poorly built mini mcmansions, go to ball games or talk about Nascar, or b#tch about liberals. Yawn. There are no good bike paths, lots of crime, and god forbid if you are vegetarian. The economy has gone to he11 too! I know it is bad in other places but we have Middletown, which is on the top 10 list of Forbes fastest dying cities, entire malls closing, and wages are going down all the time. Cincinnati itself made the top 10 list of places people would LEAST like to live. People freely make generalizations about other cultures...Indians are cheap and bossy, PoC are lazy, Mexicans are all illegal and stealing all the jobs,Asian restaurant owners are putting cats in your food and so on....

Sorry Cincinnati lovers but that is my opinion and I am looking forward to leaving.
Dude, you're just hanging around with the wrong people. Losers. I haven't heard a caucasian person, who would know my name, use the N-word since high school. And, if you live in a dump, work for pennies, and don't go out much, anywhere will look pretty dismal. When I hear someone complain like this, all I can say is: everywhere you go, problem is that you'll be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top