U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 PM

150 posts, read 118,568 times

Advertisements

This 1950s house has a 1972 Borg-Warner 120,000 btu furnace in the basement (dated according to York.com) and a quite new Lenox A/C unit on top with the condenser outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,374,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankspeed View Post
My wife and I are about to buy a 1200SQ FT house in blue ash that will be needing a new furnace very soon. The current one is original to the house and needs to go. I realize prices vary based on size,model, and company but i wanted to get an idea of what we can expect to spend and also what others are using and are happy with.
Thanks
Dan
Are you still nursing that old furnace? You have more than gotten your value out of it. My house was also built in 1972 and the furnace-A/C was a piece of crap. Replaced it back in the 1980s sometime with a Williamson. Knew a heating contractor and Williamson was his brand. That unit ran without a flaw for many years. Finally decided to replace it with a much higher efficiency model. That was also a good decision. That old unit of yours has been costing you money for years due to its lack of efficiency.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 AM

Not so: I bought the house last November with awareness that the furnace was very old and with a 1-year warranty, with the hope that it might just die during the winter. Now I know how old it is and must face the reality of replacing it. That's why I sought this site and am asking for advice on brand. contractor, etc.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2000 View Post
Not so: I bought the house last November with awareness that the furnace was very old and with a 1-year warranty, with the hope that it might just die during the winter. Now I know how old it is and must face the reality of replacing it. That's why I sought this site and am asking for advice on brand. contractor, etc.
Sorry, I should have read more carefully. Did you say there is a newer Lenox A/C installed? That is a very good brand and if running OK I would tend to keep it and just replace the furnace. Labor may be a little more due to the necesssity of having to shore up the A/C coil while sliding in the new furnace.

I recommend getting a furnace with a variable speed blower. They are compact and fit right in the base of the furnace, eliminating the old squirrel cage fan, belt, and motor. Our newer furnace has one and they work great, much better air flow. You can basically leave them on all the time and they will idle at slow speed just recirculating the air in the house. This helps to keep the house more uniform. When the furnace or A/C actually cycles the blower revs up to high speed and moves the air through. A noticable difference.

Try and get a high efficiency furnace, 92% or higher. That will definitely save you money in the long run. The newer furnaces do not use the chimney flue. They exhaust directly to the exterior using vinyl piping and also pump outdoor air in for combustion using the same type vinyl piping. So they will be drilling some holes in your basement walls.

Far as quality, the high end is probably Lenox, but also in cost. I bought a Westinghouse, which so far has performed flawlessly. Westinghouse is actually made by a company named Nordyne in Louisiana. Nordyne makes at least another half dozen old recognizable brand names they bought the rights to. I selected Westinghouse primarily on the strength of the warranty, eight years parts and labor. I understand they have increased the warranty to 10 years.

I think in the Blue Ash area I would at least contact Recker and Boerger right there in Montgomery for a quotation. They have been around for quite a long time, and seem to maintain a solid reputation. I believe their primary furnace and A/C brand is Goodman.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 PM

Thanks for your interest. Yes, the A/C is good and I talked to R&B about a 93% Goodman.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2000 View Post
Thanks for your interest. Yes, the A/C is good and I talked to R&B about a 93% Goodman.
Be sure they clarify the warranty. All reputable brands I am aware of are at least 8 years parts and labor and many have moved to 10. And make sure they register the warranty. I had problems with Westinghouse since my original installer did not register the warranty, said it was my responsibility but never told me that or supplied any paperwork. Turned out my original installer did not have a contract with the Westinghouse distributor but just went and bought a unit from them when I said that was what I wanted. I ended up in an argument with the local Westinghouse distributor stating since they sold the unit they were in effect authorizing the install and I expected them to honor the warranty. They finally agreed but switched my service and warranty to another installer who is their largest in Cincinnati. Things have been smooth since then. I do pay an annual service contract with the installer covering an inspection of the A/C in the spring and inspection and cleaning of the furnace in the fall. They clearly state if I require service at any other time I will not be charged a service call. This spring the outside condensor failed to start. Turned out to be a faulty starting capacitor. Serviceman replaced the capacitor and off it went.

If for any reason you fail to reach an agreement with R&B I can recommend two other installers. They both happen to be in Mason, but cover a large territory.
One is Al's Heating and Cooling on Reading Rd in downtown Mason. This is the one I currently use and the largest Westinghouse dealer in Cincinnati. They have been operating for several decades. Al's has several Westinghouse billboards around town with their name on them.
The second is Air Authority, also on Reading Rd. In fact the two businesses are across the street from each other. I went back and Air Authority's main brand is Trane. They have sure blanketed the area with their service trucks.

Last edited by kjbrill; 06-24-2014 at 03:39 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 PM

Just thought I'd pass this on. In addition to Westinghouse, Nordyne manufactures Broan, Frigidaire, Maytag, Nutone, and Tappan HVAC products. But Westinghouse is the most widely distributed brand.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 PM

368 posts, read 518,576 times
1200 square foot home...generally need 60,000 btu furnace,1.5-2 ton ac.Most companies gouge prices,almost every brand uses same parts..shell..compressor etc.Fair price is around $3,000 installed .

Old 02-20-2016, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
If anyone needs a furnace replaced, i know a guy who is a class act and will give you a fair deal. Got a new 95% efficient installed for $2200. Already seeing saving on the gas bills and along with the tax rebate ill make the money back in two years.

G Man
Hi do you have the name of furnace company for that price if so please let me know thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati