U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,937,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Reminds me of Harlem ... Sure, there's white investment and developers coming in now, but the trend was started by wealthy blacks investing back into their neighborhood.
Sounds like the West End pre-75...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 AM

710 posts, read 2,648,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
Sounds like the West End pre-75...
you're right about that. I-75 destroyed the burgeoning black middle class

Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,057 times
I watched the best documentary the other day ... it was on History or A&E, something like that ... anyway, jlrosen & hillside - you would have loved it.

It was about the subways in Los Angeles and how GM destroyed the urban center by buying up the subway stations, closing them, then letting them sit vacant. Very similar to the situation with 75 cutting through the West End.

At the end of the doc, they said that LA shot itself in the foot and to this day, the subways would have solved so many of the problems that the city faces today (sound familiar?).

Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM

526 posts, read 1,259,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Actually, you may be on target here. According to the interactive chart for 2008 murders presented on cincinnati.com (Interactive: Deadly Streets | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com), there were murders in 22 different neighborhoods. Sure, some of these are probably domestic cases, so the overall safety wouldn't necessarily be comprimised...unless you are the wife. But still, that's a lot of neighborhoods being effected.
The most aggrevating thing about the Enquirer article shows that only 2 of the murders occurred east of I-71.

At one time Western Hills was one of the safer areas of the city -- no longer!

Looks like the deliberate efforts of city leaders are having their impact.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 AM

710 posts, read 2,648,357 times
that's the free market at work, Section 8 vouchers go to where the property values are lower.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,860 times
Cincinnati has changed and is going to keep changing like every where else.
Time changes everything and sadly Cincinnati is not changing for the better.
Pollution, Population, Drugs and so on have had a nasty effect on the world.
Cincinnati my hometown is no exception. Each time I visit home my heart breaks a little more.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:34 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DedeLynn View Post
Cincinnati has changed and is going to keep changing like every where else.
Time changes everything and sadly Cincinnati is not changing for the better.
Pollution, Population, Drugs and so on have had a nasty effect on the world.
Cincinnati my hometown is no exception. Each time I visit home my heart breaks a little more.
What in the **** are you talking about?!

*nevermind, I just saw your location ... forgive me*

Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 AM

5 posts, read 8,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
What in the **** are you talking about?!

*nevermind, I just saw your location ... forgive me*

I forgive you.
Though I am a bit curious as to why you found it necessary to be so rude and prejudice towards me.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
that's the free market at work, Section 8 vouchers go to where the property values are lower.
Now, I admit not to have read much of this thread, so excuse me in advance if you were joking, but you were joking, right? That's like saying poor people commit more crimes. Section 8 vouchers CAUSE property values to go down, and committing crimes CAUSES people to become poor. If we don't accept these truths, there is no hope.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
QCP

185 posts, read 454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DedeLynn View Post
I forgive you.
Though I am a bit curious as to why you found it necessary to be so rude and prejudice towards me.
Because that's what he (Cincy-Rise) does. Don't worry, you weren't singled out. Anyone that has even the slightest hint of a negative view about Cincinnati get's treated the same way. He thinks he is taking a stand for the city, but in reality his arrogant, sarcastic and often rude tone on this board is a major turn-off when it comes to actually looking at the city from a non-biased point of view. If you go back and read some of his other posts, you'll find that he is the one and only person that contributes to the Cincy forum that is completely incapable of having a meaningful discussion. He thinks he knows all, but in reality all he can contribute is some googles stats, directions to the nearest watering hole and a biased, arrogant opinion as if it were fact.

My guess...a young, little twerp trying too hard to over-compensate for something. Anyways, I'm sure this post will get this fearless cyber-bully's sweater vest all ruffled and his French Vanilla Latte boiling. I sure hope he doesn't come after me...

And by the way, your post that was lost in all of this, is pretty much how many of us that have moved away feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati