U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:55 PM

414 posts, read 1,127,746 times

Advertisements

I often hear people that have moved away from Cincinnati say that when they return years later for a visit, "nothing has changed in twenty years."

They usually mean it as an insult, describing Cincy's lack of progression in development. But truthfully, it has changed....dramatically.

I find Cincinnati to be in a very sad state these days. I remember being a young adult enjoying the fruits of a great river city. When I left a decade ago Cincinnati was mostly a city with nice little, safe, livable neighborhoods, with a few bad spots to avoid. Today, I see it as the opposite, a few nice little, safe, livable neighborhoods, with many bad spots to avoid.

I think what some of the younger posters on this forum (the one's that claim Cincy is not a dangerous city) fail to realize is that Cincinnati was once a very safe medium-sized city. Even as early as the start of this decade in 2000, the city had as low as 15 murders. Today, in 2008, 75. How sad...truly sad. A 400% increase in only 8 years.

Yes, it's still true, that unless you are buying, selling or using drugs, you still have very little chance of being a victim of violent crime. But, what has changed so much in Cincinnati, that violent crime and drugs have permeated the city's core?

Can Cincinnati be saved? Or is it destined to be just another Memphis, Detroit, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 03:02 PM

455 posts, read 1,668,506 times
Cincinnati is the next Sioux Falls, South Dakota and don't you forget it... mannnn.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:59 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,057 times
jstn, your post is garbage because of one point ... you "just so happen" to use a year that was off the wall (2000 - 15 murders). lol

Why not; 2003, 2005, 2006? Oh ok, I know.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:00 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,057 times
Guys, I'd like to point out that the city of Cincinnati has dramatically decreased in crime. By looking at 2005, in just 3 years, we see a huge drop in homicides.

You see, I can twist this to my advantage too.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:04 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,937,533 times
jstn, why do you feel the city has changed?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Guys, I'd like to point out that the city of Cincinnati has dramatically decreased in crime. By looking at 2005, in just 3 years, we see a huge drop in homicides.

You see, I can twist this to my advantage too.
No, I see what you mean. But in reality, why are these numbers being used for an advantage. I didn't know I challenged you to a debate. I'm simply stating my opinions based on statistics and personal perception.

Sure, 15 murders was probably an anomaly. But even the year before, 1999 only had 29 murders. That's a two year span of 44 murders. That's 31 less than the single year of 2008. I'm not making those numbers up.

Why did I pick 2000? Well, for one it's when the trend started to change for the worse. Number two, that's about the time frame in which I moved away, so that is what I have to compare it to. Cincy-Rise, what else are you trying to get at?

I have a question for you? Were you even living in cincy at the time frame I am comparing?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:31 PM

561 posts, read 1,779,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
When I left a decade ago Cincinnati was mostly a city with nice little, safe, livable neighborhoods, with a few bad spots to avoid. Today, I see it as the opposite, a few nice little, safe, livable neighborhoods, with many bad spots to avoid.
Being new to the area, I don't have the best perspective. I think you might be slightly exaggerating, but I see where you are coming from. Within city limits, there certainly seems to be as many mediocre/bad neighborhoods as good neighborhoods.

However, even a cursory look at the demographic trends shows an interesting pattern. Inner-city areas that (I'm told) used to be sh*tholes are going through some serious improvement. Areas like OTR, West End, East End, Mt Auburn are all supposedly much better than they have been in the recent past. The criminal element had to go somewhere - and I'm assuming that areas like Price Hill, Avondale, Evanston, and others have all been the recipients.

In the meantime, Cincinnati is now left with lots of neighborhoods "in transition" ... but they are transitioning both up and down. I don't think it's a Detroit type death spiral by any means. However, I would agree that there are a lot of neighborhoods that are currently very mediocre, but I have faith in the improvement of many neighborhoods particularly in the urban core.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
jstn, why do you feel the city has changed?
Meaning ....

how is it different?

or

what has made the city change?

Sorry, didn't know which direction this question was intended.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Being new to the area, I don't have the best perspective. I think you might be slightly exaggerating, but I see where you are coming from. Within city limits, there certainly seems to be as many mediocre/bad neighborhoods as good neighborhoods.

However, even a cursory look at the demographic trends shows an interesting pattern. Inner-city areas that (I'm told) used to be sh*tholes are going through some serious improvement. Areas like OTR, West End, East End, Mt Auburn are all supposedly much better than they have been in the recent past. The criminal element had to go somewhere - and I'm assuming that areas like Price Hill, Avondale, Evanston, and others have all been the recipients.

In the meantime, Cincinnati is now left with lots of neighborhoods "in transition" ... but they are transitioning both up and down. I don't think it's a Detroit type death spiral by any means. However, I would agree that there are a lot of neighborhoods that are currently very mediocre, but I have faith in the improvement of many neighborhoods particularly in the urban core.
Actually, you may be on target here. According to the interactive chart for 2008 murders presented on cincinnati.com (Interactive: Deadly Streets | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com), there were murders in 22 different neighborhoods. Sure, some of these are probably domestic cases, so the overall safety wouldn't necessarily be comprimised...unless you are the wife. But still, that's a lot of neighborhoods being effected.

Then on top of this, you add in the closing of the jail, and possible prisons and you could have a very scary situation in the Queen City.

Before people start ripping me for bashing the Queen City...I'm not, I'm simply asking for perspective on a matter that is important to me and anyone living in the city/ region.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:54 PM

710 posts, read 2,648,357 times
if there were murders in 22 neighborhoods that means there where 30 neighborhoods without a murder, not exactly

"When I left a decade ago Cincinnati was mostly a city with nice little, safe, livable neighborhoods, with a few bad spots to avoid. Today, I see it as the opposite, a few nice little, safe, livable neighborhoods, with many bad spots to avoid. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati