U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:10 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times

Advertisements

^ Question ... do you live in or around Batavia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:21 AM

157 posts, read 482,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
I don't know why people are so concerned about murder rates. Murder is the least random crime. Burglaries and robberies, and car break ins come from random selections. Murders, almost exclusively, come from a motivated killer (slept with my wife, stole my money/drugs, on my turf).
co-sign

Old 08-04-2009, 06:53 AM

4 posts, read 12,035 times
No, sir. That is where i recieved my associates degree though. So, I lived there for a while. I also lived in OTR for a while (2005). Currently in northern KY for my bachelors. Not sure the relevance of that, but you asked. Also, I havnt heard much more on this article lately.

have a good one

Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 AM

74 posts, read 254,140 times
How is OTR doing today in terms of crime, and safety for those willing to invest and live there?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:55 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vashdown View Post
How is OTR doing today in terms of crime, and safety for those willing to invest and live there?
OTR's crime rate has dropped considerably. Especially as areas are redeveloped and people are willing to cooperate with the police. That's not to say there are not isolated pockets of rough areas north of Liberty. Parts of Race Street (at Green for example) are still troublesome. Also, McMicken up to East Clifton is still very rough. Most, if not all the problems are drug related. In fact, McMicken is still the pits as it meanders it's way through Fairview.

It's also note worthy that significant investment is beginning north of Liberty, and in the areas I noted as rough. North Rhine Projects are rehabbing numerous residential projects in the area. I am not familiar with them and hope they are not slum lords. Perhaps someone can tell us a little more about them. Either way, I am happy to see the investment creep it's way across all of OTR.

As a note, it's not all peaches and cream south of Liberty. Some areas are under heavy redevelopment and have not realized their potential just yet. Washington Park is sure to be a game changer for Race and Elm Streets though. Walnut Street still has some rough patches as well. Though Walnut does not suffer from the vacancies you find on parts of Race and Elm streets.

That's not to say things are not significantly improved over last year. There have been a couple shooting recently, but no murders. Last year north of Liberty was plagued by a gang war and that seems to be over now. I know the police have made things very uncomfortable for criminals in the area. Strong bike police presence has sure made a dent. Plus many arrests in gang related crime.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:49 AM

800 posts, read 696,249 times
I live on Mulberry and E. Clifton is pretty bad. There are almost always prostitutes and other nonsense happening at Lang & E. Clifton, since it is slightly out of sight of McMicken. Mulberry is remarkably free of pretty much any loitering, despite a little more than half of the street being Section 8. There is a Mercedes and two BMW's that park overnight, every night on Mulberry near the top and nobody gets their cars broken into.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 AM

From time to time I walk over Mulberry, seems like a cool street.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 PM

800 posts, read 696,249 times
It's low-key, with only one or two vacant buildings, but not a lot of people around. There are almost no homes on the north side of the street so there is always tons of parking available when people visit. The views from the balconies are the best in the city outside Mt. Adams. I think the views are better than the Prospect Hill views.

The downside is that are are a few nasty blocks to walk through if you want to walk to Main St. or to Findlay Market. There aren't any corner markets within walking distance where the nonsense can be avoided. During the day it's fine but at night there is a bit of a risk.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 AM

^^ I bet the views are awesome from inside or a back deck. Walking along there are several spots where you can see downtown and I usually stop and stare a second or two.

Perhaps with North Rhine Projects rehabbing several buildings on McMicken the area will clean up a little.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 AM

864 posts, read 1,196,523 times
^Eh, at least they're rehabbing buildings. But, the apartments are low income. I think market rate units are what is needed to turn that area around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati