U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:57 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,408,144 times

Advertisements

Did a little more checking. In 1997, Hudepohl-Schoenling (which resulted from a prior merger), was sold to the Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams). As I said in a earlier post, Boston Beer Company brews 66% of its product in Cincinnati. As of the beginning of 2009, the Schoenling Little Kings Ale (little green bottle) was still being produced. Jim Koch, a native Cincinnatian and founder of Boston Beer Company (you see him in their TV ads, sort of like Lee Iacocca, Dave Thomas of Wendy's, and recently John Schnatter of Papa John's).

Last week, a major fire occurred at the original Christian Moerlein brewing company building, at one time the largest brewer in Cincinnati. There has been no beer brewed there for many years. But I can go to the store and buy Christian Moerlein beer in bottles. My guess is it actually comes out of Jim Koch's brewery.

One constant in the beer industry over the last half of the past century was acquisition. The small were bought out by the larger, and so forth until some of the largers folded. I remember Weidemann who sold out to G Heileman of Wisconsin, who in turn sold out to Stroh's. During that time, I remember Weidemann Royal Amber, which was only produced in draught. Being draft, it had limited distribution, but boy it was good.

You may actually find Weidemann beer today, produced by the Pittsburgh Brewing Co. (ooops now Iron City Brewing Co. after a bankruptcy reorganization). And guess what, if you find Burger, it is from the same place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:54 AM

Appears I need to correct myself on some points. It is correct the Hudepohl-Schoenling brewery was sold to Boston Beer Company in 1997, and is where a significant amount of their Sam Adams product and derivatives is currently produced.

What I failed to note were the Christian Moerlein, and also Little Kings Cream Ale brands were acquired by Greg Hardman of Cincinnati, though contract brewed in Pennsylvania. They have also acquired the rights to the Hudepohl Hudy Delight and Burger labels. The Wiedemann label was previously acquired by Pittsburgh Brewing Co. (now Iron City Brewing Co.).

It appears I gave too much credit to Jim Koch, though he is a formidible force in the industry.

It is rather hard to keep up with these retro brands, as they continue to do battle with the major breweries, which are in reality now down to three Anheuser-Busch, SAB-Miller, and Molson Coors. SAB-Miller and Molson Coors effectively reduced this to two when they agreed to form Miller-Coors for the US market.

The recession has also cut into the beer market, but here's hoping the entrepreneurs will continue to try and bring back the brands from our glorious past.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:15 PM

While doing some followup research, found an article which stated Christian Moerlein was the largest brewer in Cincinnati out of 32 in the Pre-Prohibition days. What was the population of Cincinnati then? 32 Breweries - Wow!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 PM

246 posts, read 884,629 times
Default Book for you

kjbrill, these books look like they're right up your alley:

Sudhaus Press

Old 01-24-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
kjbrill, these books look like they're right up your alley:

Sudhaus Press
Thank you!

Old 03-26-2010, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,483 times
Default Hudepohl Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
Is anyone here a fan of Hudepohl? I know it's making somewhat of a comeback and was curious if anyone was a fan. I know Quatman Cafe features Hudy Delight on tap, but it's still something you have to look for in the stores rather than being a common sight. I'd love to see it featured at Great American Ball Park and Paul Brown Stadium someday. Hopefully it'll return to the Queen City for brewing also.
I am a fan. I learned to drink beeer in Germany in the 70's. My husband and I stopped off in Cinncinatti on our return to the States. The beer was amazing. Just like German beer. Where can I get some?
sharondeni

Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 PM

This is not Hudy, but I did pick up a 12-pack of Burger at Kroger last week. It has been so long I can't decide whether it is the Burger I remember or not. Frankly, it tasted a little harsh to me, but this may just because I haven't had a real beer in some time. Did notice while the label said brewed under control of Hudepohl Schoenling Brewing in Cincinnati, the actual brewing and bottling company was identified as LaCrosse, Wisconsin.

I guess that is what we get today, companies preying on our nostalgia.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 PM

13,736 posts, read 22,933,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
This is not Hudy, but I did pick up a 12-pack of Burger at Kroger last week. It has been so long I can't decide whether it is the Burger I remember or not. Frankly, it tasted a little harsh to me, but this may just because I haven't had a real beer in some time. Did notice while the label said brewed under control of Hudepohl Schoenling Brewing in Cincinnati, the actual brewing and bottling company was identified as LaCrosse, Wisconsin.

I guess that is what we get today, companies preying on our nostalgia.
My last walk though the Miller's plant in Milwaukee, I saw pallets of Pabst which was being brewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati