U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 14,455 times

Advertisements

is there any work out here for felons non violent ,its hard trying to look for work for a friend ,,he has no crimes at all ,(child support )thats it and soon as they see felony they judge him quick ,its not right he has his son now, cause his mom is on drugs and were trying to get married but its hard with no work for him can anyone help with some advice please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 PM

455 posts, read 1,668,506 times
gold star

Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 PM

189 posts, read 600,745 times
Where are you living? In Hamilton County? Clermont County? Warren County?

Go to your local Job and Family Services office, and they will try to find him a job.

Try White Castle. They have a good benefit plan for their employees.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 14,363 times
Default The real truth of it all

Ok, are there any jobs for felons where they won't get beat up on the playground? Come on, get real. We felons are looking for jobs with substance. I personally can't imagine getting a job where all I'll ever be able to do is flip f*ckin burgers for the rest of my life. If that's all the better I can do for myself then what the hell is the point in continuing to live. If I told you that because you naturally have brown hair, all you'll be able to do is flip burgers for the rest of your life, what would you do? Let's see how many smart-as*es will say "I would just die my hair". Guess what Captain Moron, you can't just die your hair in this example.

We felons are looking for REAL jobs, not something that any snot-nosed teenager can do when he's half stoned, half dressed and half awake. I went to truck driving school and got my CDL. The only drawback to that is that with the invention of the DAC Report, companies can f*ck you in another way. The DAC report is basically a credit report for truck drivers that is completely in favor of the trucking company. They can put whatever they want to on it and there's barely anything you can do about it (unless you take USIS [those who handle the DAC Reports]to court, but where do you get the money for the attorney to do so?).

Is there, or is there not anything that a person with a felony can do that that can make them a real living (a living where they don't have to continue living with their mommies and daddies for the rest of their lives) and isn't in the trucking industry or the fast food industry? This is where you chime in with "what about being a brick layer, or carpenter, electrician, etc?" Here's the reason that doesn't work either. If the person got the felony at a young age, such as in my case, to where they never got that kind of experience, then where are they supposed to go to get the experience when no one will hire them in the first place? But let's just say that they do have the experience, where are they supposed to get a job? No one will hire them when they have to continually go into customer houses or offices under zero supervision or be around expensive equipment all day that can easily be stolen and sold off to shady under ground characters.

I get so tired of hearing from both parties arguing that we need to have stricter laws so that we can give even more people felonies and then it's the very same people the next night complaining about all the homeless and out of work people there are in this country. Here's the sad, f*cked up part of it all. most every single person that reads this will have done something today (if not in the last week) that warrants them getting a felony on their respective records. Remember all you Bible thumpers "Render unto Ceaser that which is Cearsers and render unto God that which is God's". Meaning that if you speed enough times and get away with it then you're still committing theft from the government for not paying a ticket that you just didn't get caught to get. How about when you slack off at work for the last 15 minutes of the day, isn't that stealing form your boss?

Everyone gets so damn judgmental and they're all just as bad as any felon doing time in the slammer. Now yes, there is the argument that you haven't killed anyone!!! Are you sure about that, really sure? How about that guy that you cut off on the highway last week that when you did you set into motion a heart attack in him and when he got home he died from. wouldn't that be manslaughter in the 3rd degree? Wow, all of sudden you go from perfect little angel to being worse than a felon. How about when you dropped that jar pf pickles in the grocery store and didn't tell anyone you just grabbed your cart and went around the corner. 30 seconds later a guy came by, slipped on that pickle juice and broke his back, now he'll never walk again all because you didn't want to look like a human and admit that you accidentally dropped the pickle jar to the grocery clerk (who happens to be a felon with an accounting degree) so that he could clean it up right away.

Stop thinking your Gods little gift to the word and understand that we ALL make mistakes from time to time. If the felon out there applying for a job has done his time, paid his debt to society and is genuinely sorry for his actions, then why can't the slate be wiped clean so that he can be the real productive member of society he's way born and meant to be?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:37 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,057 times
If you want a real job with a felony, the answer is simple ...

Sales. You might have to start out somewhere small and family owned where you can actually talk face to face with the business owner, but you start there and work your way up. The bad thing is, is you'll have to change jobs to upgrade, but it makes it exciting. Keep doing that and in a few years you'll be making $75-$100k year busting your ass with no degree and a felony ... enjoying the good life.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 AM

189 posts, read 600,745 times
LAWJAS~

My first response was go to Job & Family Services. They actually have a program called Job Works that help people get a job.

And actually White Castle is a good job. They have profit sharing and benefits.

Sorry you just saw "flipping burgers".

And, sorry you have such a chip on your shoulder.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:46 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,144,158 times
I don't have a felony on my record, and I don't have a cure-all answer, but I can somewhat sympathize because we all make mistakes.

I will say/ask this though: Are you using all available resources to help find a job? Or are you assuming that you couldn't get a pariticular job because of your felony, and thus don't apply? There is a reason I'm asking this. I live in Washington DC these days, and recently it was brought to the public's attention that a DC Metro bus driver (former felon) was shot and killed by an off-duty police officer that he tried to rob. The fact that a felon committed another felony robbery here is not the main idea of the story; what came out of that story was that DC Metro officials do indeed have a policy in which they will hire felons that have an otherwise clean background. Unfortunately, in this situation, the felon they hired committed another crime and paid the ultimate price for it. But, the fact that a quasi-public company has a policy that allows re-formed felons to work for them should give you hope. I'd urge you to make sure you're using all available resources to find out who will hire felons, instead of making grand assumptions that you're simply not hire-able.

On another note:

Although it may seem that way, having a felony record may not be the only reason a former-felon doesn't get hired. Companies have a vested interest in making sure that their employees accurately represent the company. As such, if you have tattoos on your face, neck, arms, or anywhere very visible, that could play as much into the hiring decision as the felony itself. The sales job mentioned above would be a good example. I'm not making any assumption that most felons have tattoos...that's not the idea at all. The idea is that so many things go into hiring decisions, not just criminal records.

Good Luck to you!

Good Luck

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 03-16-2009 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but have you thought that it might not be a great idea to marry a guy who is an unemployed felon? Especially one who's main claim to infamy is not paying child support?

I've seen some non-support cases and to get a felony conviction, one would have to be pretty persistently irresponsible. I mean they don't just send you a letter one day that its gonna be a felony. You have hearing after hearing, once second chance then a third then a fourth. Then you get a misdemeanor conviction and serve a few days. Then you start over with hearings and second chances and third chances, and at the end of the day, the court is trying to avoid the felony at all costs.

And here you are looking for a job for him. So, I hate to be old fashioned, but I'd step back and see whether its really such a good idea in the first place.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:44 AM

3 posts, read 15,126 times
I understand your frustration b/c I'm an ex-felon. I sold drugs and made good money. I went to jail came out, and couldn't get any jobs. I used my entrepreneur hustle to start my own contracts in transportation. I was making triple what I made hustlin. Then the economy when to hell and I lost everything. I couldn't find any gigs and was back to square one. I've still got that same chip on my shoulder, but I used it make things happen. You want a trade....go to school or teach yourself. If you have motivation enuff to type out your problems you should have enuff to find the how to make it happen. It definetly isn't easy and I hate the journey everyday. It's that hope that the day will be better than the next. Focus on the solutions and talk to people about your concerns and issues instead of letting it bottle up. You are entirely right about the system and how unfair it is. I fully agree and have been denied positions that I interview to oversee when they couldn't see my background. All I can offer is to stay focused, stay on ya grind and don't let them win. The system is profitable to them when you are serving in. I won't give them that satisfaction. Cuz trust me when its all said and done and I'm pushed to that point I won't return to crime just to spite them. I'll go out blazing and I'm not going alone. For all you people that don't get it and think how dare you....You're the ones comin with me...ha!
But jus remember that is a last course of action. Don't be a stat and find your victory....be easy...

Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,057 times
^ That motivation (legally) will get you further than anyone with a degree. Old thread, but good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati