U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:35 PM

455 posts, read 1,668,506 times

Advertisements

I would also say Hyde Park... My wife is from London (Maida Vale) and that area is her fave. There is a posh little square in the middle of the neighborhood including a couple of bistros with outdoor dining, various shops and pubs. It's not really anything close to a downtown but is very nice. The surrounding neighborhoods also have their own square-type areas you can walk to easily. Seven miles south is Downtown Cincinnati and all of just about anything you will need. I actually work in Sharonville and from Hyde Park/Norwood/Oakley it takes about 15 to 20 minutes driving time depending on how close you live to I-71. Oh, and HP is very safe.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
I think you would really like Glendale. Whoever suggested that above, was just right on.

A second choice might be Lebanon, Ohio. Its 13 miles from Sharonville as the crow flies, and you can pretty much get there like a crow because the rush hour traffic mostly goes the other direction. And, Lebanon would definitely give you a small town English feel at a fraction of the price of the other choices.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 18,453 times
thanks guys for all your fantastic input, my hubby has been there a short time now and is loving it. I can't wait to join him at the end of Feb. I am passing on the suggestions to him to go and explore, and he is slowly getting a feel for the place and finding his way around some of the neighbourhoods ( we even call it Cincy now, is that allowed from us Brits ? lol )

He tells me all the time how helpful and friendly everybody has been towards him. Its a massive decision to leave your beloved country of birth and your family and friends, so to be made to feel so welcome is a huge help.

See you all soon on the other side of the pond, We will be the ones with the strange accent!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:36 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makker8uk View Post
... my hubby has been there a short time now and is loving it.
What part of the City is he in?

In Sharonville?

Old 02-07-2009, 06:05 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,308,470 times
Quote:
thanks guys for all your fantastic input, my hubby has been there a short time now and is loving it. I can't wait to join him at the end of Feb. I am passing on the suggestions to him to go and explore, and he is slowly getting a feel for the place and finding his way around some of the neighbourhoods ( we even call it Cincy now, is that allowed from us Brits ? lol )

He tells me all the time how helpful and friendly everybody has been towards him. Its a massive decision to leave your beloved country of birth and your family and friends, so to be made to feel so welcome is a huge help.

See you all soon on the other side of the pond, We will be the ones with the strange accent!!!
Sounds like you are forced to emigrate

Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 AM

Not forced at all, and very excited and happy to be doing it, but i think most people would be at least a little nervous and would certainly think it was a big and life changing decision?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:18 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,560,693 times
Quote:
Not forced at all, and very excited and happy to be doing it, but i think most people would be at least a little nervous and would certainly think it was a big and life changing decision?
I would be nervous and excited at the same time.
Welcome to Ohio...I am sure you will find many people welcoming you. There are a lot of warm and caring people in this City--thats why I love it.
Best wishes to you and your family!!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,929,204 times
Default Strangers in a strange land

Quote:
I can so relate to this. The memory is vivid of being sat down, along with my sibs, by my parents for Dad to tell us of a possible job transfer. Made to guess, the sisters and I threw out the names of various North American cities only to hear "no" for each. P & G wanted Dad to be part of their expansion into Japan! LONG story short, we gave unanimous thumbs up to the proposition and are glad (to put it mildly) that we did. We were confronted with the prospect of moving to a country with a vastly different culture and native language, where a tiny fraction of its population "look like us," but we hugely enjoyed our years there and left with sadness and reluctance. Even though the US is of course primarily English-speaking, and no cultural origin goes unrepresented, it's still a quantum leap to make. Your emotions of trepidation mixed with exhilaration are ones I know well.

Lebanon is a likable community, at least in its original section unless you're a fan of treeless subdivisions. But commuting in the morning and evening would call for going with the predominant traffic flow. My original reco of Glendale stands, with thanks to Ms/Mr Wilson for seconding it. Hyde Park, however, is a good alternative. It holds the added attraction of a commuter to Sharonville's being able to glide northward on I-71 while motorists headed in the opposite direction sit and stew in the morning, and vice-versa in the PM.

There's nothing wrong with Sharonville itself, in fact a lot of good apartment complexes are located therein. It also has a compact downtown section with an art gallery, coffeehouse, and the like. But let's just say it's "charm challenged," which is not a problem shared by Glendale or Lebanon or Hyde Park - or by the community I'm bringing up next.

I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier. But the eastern inner-ring suburb called Mariemont (pronounced "Mary Mont" in Midwestern) is all about an "English feel." It has a village square ringed by Tudor-style buildings which house a movie theater, bistro, and Graeter's ice cream parlor among other things. One can reach I-275 fairly quickly for a drive to Sharonville that'd fall within a half-hour in duration. However, rental properties are in short supply as this is a decidedly upscale area along with neighboring Terrace Park. It'd be well worth a look regardless.

Cheers!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,308,470 times
Quote:
Good to hear, but when I read "Its a massive decision to leave your beloved country of birth and your family and friends, so to be made to feel so welcome is a huge help." I sounded to me as though you would actually rather stay in Britain. If I felt the way you described, I guess I would not leave my old place. Anyway, good to hear it is not like that Being old-fashioned, I think wanting to get to a certain place should be the reason behind emigration, not wanting to get away from a certain place (unless of course one lives in a war zone ).

Old 02-08-2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks again guys, i just can't wait to get there now.

We are lucky enough to have been provided with a rental in Kenwood
for a few months until we find our little bit of Cincinnati heaven.

We have lived in cities (Manchester, Birmingham, London) and the depths of the
English countryside with just a pub (essential !!) and a tiny village shop, and really liked aspects
of both ways of life, so we will try to take our time and go with our instinct and
gut feeling for a place before buying anywhere.

Like most of us, i guess we just want to fit in ,contribute, work hard and make
new friends and meet new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or