U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:59 PM

8 posts, read 18,458 times

Advertisements

Hi
I know there are many questions like this one but need to ask for our own sanity.

My husband and I are reloacting to just north of Cincinnati - company based in Sharonville. We've looked at the areas and have got it down to Montgomery, Blue Ash, Mason, Loveland areas

We're both professionals apprx 40 and want the following

1. A safe neighbourhood - that has a community feel
2. Somwewhere that you could walk in and around town
3. Good restaurants and bars - though would drive for better restaurants
4. Some "green" park areas / rivers

We don't have kids so schooling isn't a factor but we do want a "quality of life" that means we can get to know out neighbours and meet people.

Looking for any feedback on the areas listed and recommendations of where to be based.

We've read the forums so know there are alot of people "down" on the area generally so would appreciate any constructive information./ Thanks
Q. Is hyde Park too near the city? Does it feel like a different town centre to other places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 04:20 PM

561 posts, read 1,780,019 times
You will probably NOT find walkability or a strong community feel in the 4 neighborhoods you listed. There are restaurants and parks around all of them, but again, it's not walkable. They are all very typical wealthy American suburbs. If you are familiar with that lifestyle and that's what you want, then ignore the critics and enjoy them!! However, if you are not familiar with an auto-centric American suburb, it might be a huge shock compared to a typical English suburb.

Montgomery might be an exception if you live near their "downtown" retail strip. It's quite pretty, although not huge.

I've heard from numerous people that there's no point to living in Mason if you don't have kids. But this is coming from people in their 20s, so take that for what it's worth.

Quote:
Q. Is hyde Park too near the city? Does it feel like a different town centre to other places?
Could you elaborate on your question? One of Hyde Park's great assets is how close it is to everything, including the city. What's too near for you, and what would you prefer to stay away from? What do you mean by a different town center?

Old 01-24-2009, 04:34 PM

Thanks Joe

ref.the 4 areas mentioned - we've spent the last month on the East coast in Newburyport and liked the way that the downtown area was easily accessible and we could walk round the shops interspersed with bars, restaurants - even though we had to drive to it - so we kind of understand the car mentality.

I tried to walk from the hotel to the Stop&Shop and had to turn back for the car!!

If those four areas don't have a "neighbourhood/ community" feel is there anywhere you'd recommend that does?

Rf. Hyde Park - sorry the questions unclear. Want to know if it's walkable or easy transport into the Downtown? Again does it have a community feel? Are there bars and restaurants in the "hyde park area" = does it have it's own version of "downtown"?

Old 01-24-2009, 06:31 PM

74 posts, read 248,020 times
From what you've said it sounds like Hyde Park would be a great fit.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:58 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,563,248 times
I agree with Joe, Montgomery. I love the feel of their new "downtown". A beautiful mix of new & old buildings. I found their neighborhood web page too which I always like to check out when trying to learn about an area. Montgomery, Ohio - Visit (http://www.ci.montgomery.oh.us/discover/discover.htm - broken link)

Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,940,533 times
I bet you'd like Glendale. It's one of Cincinnati's "old money" suburbs, with quite a few impressive houses to show for it. But its western and northern sectors are actually well within what most people would consider an affordability range. And there are several apartment/condo communities discreetly tucked away.
There's a small shopping/restaurant district located along the railroad tracks in the center of town, along Sharon Rd. One of the most popular dining destinations around, the Grand Finale (so named for its awesome desserts), occupies the focal intersection of Sharon Rd and Congress Ave. There's a nice tavern across the street, and toward the north end of town along Congress another couple of good casual spots can be found. Glendale's tree-lined streets, largely devoid of any notable traffic and skirted by smooth sidewalks, are pleasantly walkable. A leisurely stroll from Village Square (the aforementioned shopping area alongside the train tracks) to the Grand Finale takes no more than 10-15 minutes.
Heaven forbid that the likes of a supermarket or discount store would dare pour its foundation in sylvan, gaslit Glendale! But more mall sprawl than any human could possibly need is right up the road (Congress Ave) in neighboring Springdale. A small strip of stores, including a Kroger supermarket, is also close by in Woodlawn to the south. Those in the know head in that direction when it's time to pick up groceries, rather than battle the inevitable traffic tangles around Tri-County.
As for commuting to Sharonville, it's a breeze, as the name of one of Glendale's main streets (Sharon Rd) should imply.
Word to the wise: Glendaleans have a reputation for being the sort of folks who are standoffish to new arrivals. One has to be born and raised there to be considered part of the town. But every rule has numerous exceptions. The main thing is to either be moneyed or be able to create that impression. And we Yanks are an odd lot in that many of us automatically assume class, good manners, and some degree of wealth upon hearing an English accent!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:01 PM

Thanks for all your replies, its helping us get the insider feel for things before we actually get out there in March. I am making loads of notes and checking out far more than i would be able to by just going on tourist/travel sites. We have visited the US many times and love it, so we can't wait to come and live out there for a while.

Thanks for the insight Goyguy. Talking of accents, for some reason i can't explain, whenever i am away from the UK my accent becomes more and more English. It sounds from what you say this might not be such a bad thing, and might actually cover up the fact that i am probably going to make an idiot of myself at some point by being a stranger and asking stupid questions!!! LOL

Old 01-26-2009, 09:11 PM

561 posts, read 1,780,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makker8uk View Post
Rf. Hyde Park - sorry the questions unclear. Want to know if it's walkable or easy transport into the Downtown?
It's walkable within itself and adjacent neighborhoods, but not to downtown. It's about 5-6 miles away from dowtown. About 20 minutes on the #69 bus, or 10-15 minutes by car depending on traffic.

Quote:
Again does it have a community feel?
Yes, very sociable. Particularly in summertime when everyone is walking around outside. Wealthy middle aged people with lots of young professionals. Lots of transplants from other places. No one that I know is from England, but a few from Wales and Scotland if that helps .

Quote:
Are there bars and restaurants in the "hyde park area" = does it have it's own version of "downtown"?
Yes, lots of bars and restaurants. Hyde Park square is the mini-downtown. Lots of upscale local stuff. More affordable fare - but still nice stuff - is scattered all over the adjacent neighborhoods of Oakley and Mt. Lookout, but it's all functionally the same big neighborhood anyway.

(BUT ... you'll have a longer commute to Sharonville, which might negate part of the purpose of living in a walkable neighborhood.)

Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,838,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makker8uk View Post
Thanks for all your replies, its helping us get the insider feel for things before we actually get out there in March. I am making loads of notes and checking out far more than i would be able to by just going on tourist/travel sites. We have visited the US many times and love it, so we can't wait to come and live out there for a while.

Thanks for the insight Goyguy. Talking of accents, for some reason i can't explain, whenever i am away from the UK my accent becomes more and more English. It sounds from what you say this might not be such a bad thing, and might actually cover up the fact that i am probably going to make an idiot of myself at some point by being a stranger and asking stupid questions!!! LOL

Best of luck with the move!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 17,275 times
As you are relocating to Sharonville I would say Mason, Loveland are better areas for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or