U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 04:19 PM

77 posts, read 169,057 times

Advertisements

Big fan of Cost Plus WM. Anyone know of any similar stores in area? Pier One . . . Jungle Jim's . . IKEA etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 PM

561 posts, read 1,779,381 times
Decline and fall? Are they having serious problems?

You can definitely get analogs for most of their food products at some combo of Jungle Jims and Fresh Market. I think a lot of their other household stuff is unique to their stores.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 PM

455 posts, read 1,668,658 times
I can see closing the one near tri-county mall because, well, everything around it is gone and westwood (wherever the hell that is) but they should at least have one location here and Kenwood seems to be the one that would fit. Instead, I guess there is an Urban Active disco gym going into that space. Pier One is the old version of that type of chain and I'd have thought they would easily go under first... hrmm.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Decline and fall? Are they having serious problems?

This is a recent press release:

COST PLUS, INC. PROVIDES DETAIL ON PLAN TO CLOSE 26 STORES AND EXIT EIGHT MEDIA MARKETS
Oakland, CA -- January 9, 2009 -- Cost Plus, Inc. (Nasdaq: CPWM) today provided detail on the plan to close 26 stores and exit eight media markets. Upon completion of its plan to rationalize operations, Cost Plus will operate 270 stores in 98 markets covering 30 states.
The eight media markets the Company plans to exit include: Cincinnati OH, Fort Lauderdale FL, Fort Wayne IN, Memphis TN, Minneapolis-St. Paul MN, Rochester MN, Omaha NE, and Rockford IL.
Individual stores to be closed include: Mesa (1349 Alma School Road Mesa, AZ), Ontario (4421 Mills Circle Ontario, CA), Vallejo (105 Plaza Drive Vallejo, CA), Pembroke Pines (11960 Pines Boulevard Pembroke Pines, FL), Stonecrest (8140 Mall Parkway Lithonia, GA), Fayetteville (240 Pavilion Parkway Fayetteville, GA), Hoffman Estates (2780 Sutton Road Hoffman Estates, IL), Rockford (6650 East State Street Rockford, IL), Fort Wayne (4310 Coldwater Road Fort Wayne, IN), Germantown (20904 Frederick Road Germantown, MD), Bloomington (4250 West 78th Street Bloomington, MN), Maple Grove (12209 Elm Creek Blvd Maple Grove, MN), Minnetonka (11240 Wayzata Blvd. Minnetonka, MN), Rochester (1200 16th Street SW Rochester, MN), Roseville (2401 Fairview Ave., North Roseville, MN), Woodbury (8268 Tamarack Village Woodbury, MN), Southaven (6535 Towne Center Crossing Southaven, MS), Omaha (201 North 78th Street Omaha, NE), Papillion (7549 Towne Centre Parkway Papillion, NE), West Omaha (17101 Davenport Street Omaha, NE), Western Hills (5555 Glenway Avenue Cincinnati, OH), Tri-County (11747 Princeton Pike Springdale, OH), Kenwood (8121 Montgomery Road Cincinnati, OH), Collierville (4600 Merchants Park Circle Collierville, TN), Market at Wolfcreek (2825 N. Germantown Parkway Memphis, TN) and Tysons Corner (2051 Chain Bridge Road Vienna, VA).
President and Chief Executive Officer Barry Feld said, "Closing underperforming stores allows Cost Plus to rationalize its operations and media markets in this challenging economic environment, and to take full advantage of better growth opportunities when the retail climate improves."
Customers that may be losing their local store can continue purchase goods from Cost Plus World Market through its online business, www.worldmarket.com.
Cost Plus, Inc. is a leading specialty retailer of casual home living and entertaining products. As of today, the Company operates 296 stores in 33 states.
Contact
Jane Baughman
Cost Plus, Inc.

My take : A specialty retailer that has overexpanded and lost a lot of its charm.

Cost Plus was a really great little store at Fisherman's Wharf with an eclectic selection of goods and a great selection of wines. In SF, they have knowledgable staff that can help you out with their products.

The employees in the Midwest are almost non-existent.

Personally, CPWM was my first stop on most trips to SF and I often shipped purchases home. Now, I cannot remember the last time I went into the store. If I need wine, there are a dozen liquor stores with staff that knows the products and is generaly cheaper.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:07 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,691 times
The fresh market was only in Kenwood a couple of years. Maybe the Trader Joe's and the new Kroger's forced it's hand out of the market.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Dang. I can't tell you how much wine I've carted back to Pennsylvania (shhhhh, don't tell the liquor control board ...) from Cost Plus over the past four years.

Oh, well, I can still shop there when I visit my sister in Michigan.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Dang. I can't tell you how much wine I've carted back to Pennsylvania (shhhhh, don't tell the liquor control board ...) from Cost Plus over the past four years.

Oh, well, I can still shop there when I visit my sister in Michigan.
Are you not able to get it at Jungle Jim's?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Can you believe I have never been to Jungle Jim's? I am so ashamed ... LOL

Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM

41 posts, read 101,681 times
Stopped in to the one near Kenwood on Sunday - I received a $50 gift card for Christmas and thought I'd see what I couldn't live without. Had no idea they were closing at first.. some of the shelves were a bit bare, and there were 10 - 20% off signs on most shelves. Not until we had been shopping about 15 minutes that I saw the sign (not very prominent) that all sales were final. So I asked an employee about it... He said all the Cincinnati area stores were closing. I am very glad I happened to stop in when I did so I could use my gift card. We really loved World Market, and shopped it in various states in which we have lived.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 PM

62 posts, read 270,164 times
This was very sad news -- World Market is a great store for their non-food items. Yes, it might seem like "Pier1", but their assemble-it-yourself furniture is the finest I've ever purchased -- far superior to IKEA's cheap stuff (not even in the same league), and even better than Crate & Barrel's overpriced items (which always have some sort of manufacturing defect). The employees I've dealt with in the World Market in Westwood (Glenway Avenue) have been wonderful -- knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly.

They will be sorely missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or