U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 PM

10 posts, read 20,937 times

Advertisements

I've heard wonderful things about Columbus but I have options. My choices are Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Northern KY.
Can somebody tell me the pros and cons of Cincinnati? Should I consider looking there or should I stick with Columbus?
I'm getting cold feet I guess. I live in El Paso, TX and it was 75 degrees yesterday and we were out playing golf. I know that is not going to happen with any of my options but any guidance is appreciated. I love the outdoors and especially golf. We have a 10 month old little girl. We love food and wine. I just picked up scrapbooking. I guess everyone with a baby does for a while but I really enjoy it. Pretty much home bodies but like to go out every once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 PM

40 posts, read 115,342 times
I don't really know what to tell you about Columbus, because I've only been there a handful of times. In my opinion, Cincinnati is much prettier as a result of it's many hills and historic architecture. Cincinnati would also be a great place to raise your daughter. Cincinnati is very family oriented and there are activities all over town for kids (Union Terminal Museum Center, Newport aquarium, Kings Island, The Beach, etc.) In terms of golfing, there are plenty of really great golf courses around Cincinnati and it's very popular too. I don't golf much, but my dad is a golf addict.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 PM

561 posts, read 1,780,787 times
Columbus's advantages are the same as its drawbacks. Generally it's very new, suburban, and sprawling. It has more of an "anyplace USA" feel than your other options. Less local character with more freeway and chain stores. It depends on your preferences.

You are basically screwed with the weather, sorry. Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky is actually your best bet there. It's significantly warmer with less snow than your other options. In fact, even in town Cincinnati is a bit warmer than its far nothern suburbs. But regardless, way colder than what you'll want (i.e. no more year round golf).

Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 PM

455 posts, read 1,669,758 times
One neighborhood (Short North/Victorian Village) in C-bus blows away anything in Cincinnati, but the collective character of various Cincinnati neighborhoods and the unique qualities you can find in any one of them are far and away more attractive than anything outside of a 3 mile radius of the convention center in Columbus. I grew up in the now trendy areas of Columbus and am verrrry happy in Cincinnati.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
One neighborhood (Short North/Victorian Village) in C-bus blows away anything in Cincinnati...
If I've ever read an exaggeration, that's it.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
If I've ever read an exaggeration, that's it.
Seriously, you could combine Mt. Adams, Hyde Park and Northside and come up with half of what exists in the Short North and surrounding neighborhoods. It's the suburbs (yes even the precious near ones) that drag Columbus into "anytown USA" mediocrity.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:22 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,305,288 times
Do what your heart tells you to do. Opinions are subjective because they simply have not lived your life. One thing is for certain. There will be much much more competition for jobs in your field of work where ever you choose to live.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:27 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,382,390 times
cinci-rise, i 2nd that huge exaggeration by huskerdu. also, huskerdu a 3 mile radius ? come on, thats half way to grove city. its more like a 1 mile radius.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 AM

710 posts, read 2,650,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
Seriously, you could combine Mt. Adams, Hyde Park and Northside and come up with half of what exists in the Short North and surrounding neighborhoods. It's the suburbs (yes even the precious near ones) that drag Columbus into "anytown USA" mediocrity.
Once the streetcar gets built connecting UC with Downtown, Over-the-Rhine is going to blow Short North out of the water.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
Once the streetcar gets built connecting UC with Downtown, Over-the-Rhine is going to blow Short North out of the water.
I hope so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati