Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,438,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
I disagree entirely, the lack of progressive ideas like the streetcar is one of the things holding us back.
Cincinnati had streetcars 50 years ago; streetcars aren't progressive, just progress compared to stagnation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,120,127 times
Ugh to both the Pew survey and streetcars plan.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:39 AM

710 posts, read 3,033,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Ugh to both the Pew survey and streetcars plan.
I am curious to why you think that. The Pew survey is telling us something we already know, we have an image problem with the rest of the country.

As for streetcars, look at the studies that have been done, they show that streetcars are a good investment for the city.

Here is the UC Streetcar Study
http://cincinnati-oh.gov/city/downlo...y_pdf34212.pdf

and the HDR Study
http://cincinnati-oh.gov/city/downlo...y_pdf17763.pdf

Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 AM

I just dont think people KNOW about our City--so what people think about it doesnt really weigh to heavily on me even though I wish more people had a better perception of it.

As for the streetcars, well, I live in Hartwell...the northern most neighborhood. We have issues out here that we are still waiting to have addressed and I know many neighborhoods which would love to have that kind of money spent on street repairs (repaving, curb installation, speed humps), business district improvements and many other projects which address ALL our neighborhoods, not just a few the streetcars will go through. Sorry. I just think neighborhoods get a little overlooked too much and although I understand building the core, I dont always support it fully.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:10 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,348,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartwell girl View Post
ugh to both the pew survey and streetcars plan.
x2

Old 01-30-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
Cincinnati had streetcars 50 years ago; streetcars aren't progressive, just progress compared to stagnation.
Heck, Hartwell has the old car barns in our neighborhood....awesome looking buildings!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:35 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,348,070 times
Where are those car barns in Hartwell? Are they on Caldwell Drive?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 AM

710 posts, read 3,033,025 times
Quote:
I just dont think people KNOW about our City--so what people think about it doesnt really weigh to heavily on me even though I wish more people had a better perception of it.

As for the streetcars, well, I live in Hartwell...the northern most neighborhood. We have issues out here that we are still waiting to have addressed and I know many neighborhoods which would love to have that kind of money spent on street repairs (repaving, curb installation, speed humps), business district improvements and many other projects which address ALL our neighborhoods, not just a few the streetcars will go through. Sorry. I just think neighborhoods get a little overlooked too much and although I understand building the core, I dont always support it fully.
It is important to remember the streetcar will have greater benefits (in terms of increased property taxes, decreased emissions, increased income taxes from new residents) than its costs so it is a net positive for the city.

Business district improvements- lets take Clifton for an example. They spent $2.1 million on new sidewalks and a few other minor improvements (they are building a plaza as well, but that is additional funds on top of the $2.1 million). I don't know what the benefit is to the city. I would assume a slight increase in property values, but aside from that, I don't know.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 AM

62 posts, read 297,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
If you're moronic to post that link, then I'm sure you're moronic to not know that the survey didn't include Cincinnati's closest peers nor did it include all major metros. It did include the most desirable metros in the US though (which is why a lot of major MSA's aren't on the list).

I'm not sure what ruffled your feathers so much about my mall comment?
Have you ever even left Cincinnati? Have you ever been to New Jersey? I am weary of Cincinnati rah-rahs like yourself who post snarky comments in response to anyone who presents an opposing viewpoint. There are things wrong with this city -- plenty of them -- and until you acknowledge those it is hard to take you seriously. In terms of the streetcar project, I'm not opposed to restoring something the city once had -- but it is hardly a priority. Tell me: do you live along or near the proposed route? Do you own property whose value would increase if the streetcar plan was implemented?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:33 AM

62 posts, read 297,261 times
Quote:

Amen! The city struggles with maintaining its existing infrastructure and adding streetcars to the mix just doesn't make economic sense at this time. There are plenty of other issues to address first. P-R-I-O-R-I-T-I-Z-E.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati