U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:07 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
I happen to be pro streetcar, having said that I will also say that wheeled streetcars like Louisville and other cities have "may" make more sense as it gives the city a flexibility to change routes and such.
Which are why developers and investors are more than likely hesitant versus a permanent, set-in-stone track. They know the route cannot be changed on a dime.

I've gone to the council meetings and heard investors stand up and speak and they all say the same thing ... "we'll put our money here, but we want a permanent track first."

Ask jlrosen, he'll tell you all about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 01:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,564,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Hartwell Girl, you do know that, that first leg would be one of many? Believe it or not, our Mayor and council members (well, most) want full LRT up and running, but know that we have to start small with this city.
And some of those same council members who want this approved are the same ones who are not focused on our neighborhoods as a whole.
And whats wrong with the bus? Sorta has already requested that the City of Cincinnati transfer up to $1.1 million from the Transit Fund reserve for their 2009 budget according to sortas web page and the City pays for the majority of the operating expenses. And the bus serves a lot of the area already. I guess I just dont get it.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,940,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
I happen to be pro streetcar, having said that I will also say that wheeled streetcars like Louisville and other cities have "may" make more sense as it gives the city a flexibility to change routes and such.If wheeled cars work then make the routes permanent. You will know within the first year if it will work or not and you will not have made a huge financial committment.

I don't believe that streetcars are the cure for Over-the Rhine, you wont 'restore' OTR until we scrap the 'prefferred developer' concept and putting the entire future of OTR in 3CDC.

If the city wants to turn OTR around they need to do some basic things.

Get rid of the parking meters. Or at least make them free on Saurdays

Take city owned vacant lots and create neighborhood permit parking lots so current residents have a place to park and visitors to OTR going to Main, Vine and Findlay Market can actually find parking.

Get a billboard ordinace to eliminate Billboards from historic districs.

Pass a strong anti panhandling ordinance and ban charities from dispensing items on city owned parks.

Require 3CDC to divest itself of 10 percent of its holdings over the next 5 years to owner occupants willing to come into OTR and restore.

That will turn OTR around.
Cincinnati has been criminal to its poor and sick. The panhandling laws in the city are as tight as anywhere, even unconstitutional due to very vague language. Here's the decision.

http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/do...07-ohio-91.pdf

Improving our elementary schools, regional transportation as well as the Metro, era-sensitive infill, a dispersal of social services and unified developmental plan could possibly, maybe turn around downtown. The City needs to take a map of the downtown area and make one plan instead of giving developers and hipsters free reign down there, and also do a better job of keeping their own projects under one vision clearly expressed to the community.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:26 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,726 times
^ You want to see unconstitutional panhandling laws ... see Atlanta. lol

Old 02-01-2009, 01:57 PM

710 posts, read 2,650,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
And some of those same council members who want this approved are the same ones who are not focused on our neighborhoods as a whole.
And whats wrong with the bus? Sorta has already requested that the City of Cincinnati transfer up to $1.1 million from the Transit Fund reserve for their 2009 budget according to sortas web page and the City pays for the majority of the operating expenses. And the bus serves a lot of the area already. I guess I just dont get it.
The problem with buses is that they simply don't attract development like streetcars do. These sites have more info:

Cincinnati Streetcars and Light Rail | Welcome
Cincinnati Streetcar - Connect the Dots
CincyStreetcar Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or