U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM

142 posts, read 299,964 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

Im planning on relocating in the next year or so and the Cincinnati area is on my list of possible places. I am a lifelong NJ resident. Had some questions about Cincinnati that I was hoping to get some help with.

I was wondering specifically about Cincinnati culture. Things like whether the city is more conservative or liberal, how much cultural diversity there is, is it more blue collar or white collar, etc.

As far as entertainment...is there much in the way of museums, festivals, etc? How about nightlife/live music/bar scene?

And finally, how is the tech job market? Would it be difficult for a computer tech with a few years experiance to find a job with decent pay (around 30k)?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 PM

561 posts, read 1,779,829 times
I can give the perspective of a recent transplant. (I'm not from the Northeast, but I have lived there as well).

- People will tell you that Cincinnati is very conservative; however in the "Republican/Democrat" sense it's basically even. But the local culture is very distinct and sometimes provincial - so perhaps that's where the supposed "conservatism" comes in. However, Cincinnati will seem more conservative than most places in New Jersey, regardless of which way you mean "conservative."
- In a very general sense: Blue Collar on the Westside. White Collar on the Eastside.
- The arts are very well represented for a city of Cincinnati's size. Good museums. Good entertainment venues. Good annual events and festivals. Probably superior to Jersey.
- The area is not known for high tech. However the IT departments of all the large corporations tend to have lots of jobs.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:29 PM

62 posts, read 270,232 times
Default What exit are you from?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

We moved to Cincinnati from north Jersey (Bergen County) in December of 2006 (see my other posts for more information).

The post above is fairly accurate. In addition to corps looking for IT slots, the campuses (UC, Xavier, Cincinnati State) might offer a good chance at employment.

Check out: CinWeekly, the more liberal City Beat, and the local rag, Cincinnati Enquirer.

Other sites: Cincinnati Art Museum, Union Terminal, and Space 513 (513 is the area code for Cincinnati).

This might sound crazy, but don't rule out northern Kentucky, either. Covington, Newport, Bellevue -- you can literally walk right across the Ohio River from there. Easy access.

Official City of Cincinnati site is worth reviewing as well.

If you have any questions, hit me up with a direct message, or just post a reply here.

Best of luck in your search!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Im from essex county. I know what you mean by the username "jersey too expensive" as thats one of the reasons im looking to get out.

Id probably be leaning more toward the kentucky side actually since it would probably be a bit safer/quieter. Am I correct in this assumption?

How bout nightlife in the city? Like young singles bars?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 AM

DarkHorse-

Ah, Essex County. We were from Bergen (well, at least I was -- wife is from Mercer.

Neither side is really loud or dangerous (despite what the locals will tell you). Just like everywhere, the people that have been here forever have seen things change (same way we felt about Jersey) -- so to them it's different. It's never felt unsafe at all -- but sometimes the poverty in some sections is more than we're used to.

Check out the links I sent in my previous message for nightlife info. Wife and I are pretty quiet, so don't go to bars much at this point. From what I understand, there is plenty of it, though -- downtown, and in places like Mt. Adams (Cincinnati), too.

We live on the west side of Cincinnati -- where there are some real home price bargains -- but the east side feels more like NJ to us. If you're a mall person at all, you'll be a little disappointed in the lack of the mega-malls we were used to in the Routes 17, 4, and 46 corridors (and Route 1 down in Mercer). They've got some here, but Kenwood Towne Centre is the closest thing to what we had back home, and it pales in comparison to something the size of Garden State Plaza in Paramus (or the Palisades Mall in Nyack, NY).

Not sure if you're planning on renting or buying, but I'd check out downtown, Over-the-Rhine, Mt. Adams, Northside, Clifton (University of Cincinnati is there), and Bellevue, Newport, and Covington...

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Yeah, im not expecting the retail amenities to match up to the north jersey metro area, but im not looking for another jersey anyway.

Thanks for the help, I will check out the links.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:41 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,844,931 times
Nothing like a huge mega-mall to lighten the spirits.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:34 PM

^^@Cincy-Rise:
I'll take a huge mega-mall over an army of rascal-riding, poverty-stricken, Section 8-collecting circus freaks any day. This city has way too many of those -- if Cincinnati ever expects to be taken seriously, she best stop catering to the lowest common denominator. Any wonder why Cincinnati was rated the 3rd least desirable city to live in a recent Pew Research Center survey? HINT: it's NOT because we don't have a stupid streetcar project, OK?

Last edited by jersey_too_expensive; 01-29-2009 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: grammatical

Old 01-29-2009, 07:50 PM

710 posts, read 2,649,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_too_expensive View Post
^^@Cincy-Rise:
I'll take a huge mega-mall over an army of rascal-riding, poverty-stricken, Section 8-collecting circus freaks any day. This city has way too many of those -- if Cincinnati ever expects to be taken seriously, she best stop catering to the lowest common denominator. Any wonder why Cincinnati was rated the 3rd least desirable city to live in a recent Pew Research Center survey? HINT: it's NOT because we don't have a stupid streetcar project, OK?
I disagree entirely, the lack of progressive ideas like the streetcar is one of the things holding us back.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,844,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_too_expensive View Post
^^@Cincy-Rise:
If you're moronic to post that link, then I'm sure you're moronic to not know that the survey didn't include Cincinnati's closest peers nor did it include all major metros. It did include the most desirable metros in the US though (which is why a lot of major MSA's aren't on the list).

I'm not sure what ruffled your feathers so much about my mall comment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or