U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 PM

236 posts, read 603,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Cincinnati is an awesome city that is seeing a lot of new development, currently 8 cranes downtown. And it is actually home to just as many fortune 500 companies as Milwaukee, Cincinnati actually ranks 6th in the nation per fortune 500 company.

Cincinnati has the 4th best park system in the country, and has a slightly more prosperous economy than Milwaukee, but don't think that it is a Charlotte or Atlanta, which in my opinion is a good thing. I don't like all that sprawl and uncontrolled growth.

Ok lets help with the questions:

Yes, the weather is similar to Lexington, sometimes you might see a differance in snowfall totals or temps, but nothing drastic.

Job climate is not great, what city is right now? But, it has an unemloyment rate below the national average.

Hope that helps somewhat, if you need more help, just ask.
Because there is no sprawl or uncontrolled growth in Cincinnati..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,482,181 times
I dunno. A person who is from Milwaukee, for crying out loud, is embarrassed about having a Kentucky license plate? My whole family was from Chicago and they thought of Milwaukee as more like Haiti than a nearby city. Dude, Lexington makes Milwaukee look like Gary Indiana. And, I don't think you will find many people from Lexington who want to relocate to Cincinnati for quality of life reasons.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 6,358 times
Default Wisconsin to Cinci

Hi,

Cincinnati weather is so unpredictable. This year is the worst we have experienced in 4 to 5 years. We are up to 32 degrees at noon and it will be 50 tomorrow. We do not have steady weather here year round and this should be the worst week of the year. But it is not promised.

Our industry went to China. I voted for Bush but each time he came to Ohio more industry ended up in China. Our job market is at its lowest in more than 30 years. If Indianapolis has a better outlook, I would suggest you go there.
Skiparoo

Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 5,810 times
Quote:
because there is no sprawl or uncontrolled growth in cincinnati..
Lol

+1

Old 02-14-2009, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 12,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I dunno. A person who is from Milwaukee, for crying out loud, is embarrassed about having a Kentucky license plate? My whole family was from Chicago and they thought of Milwaukee as more like Haiti than a nearby city. Dude, Lexington makes Milwaukee look like Gary Indiana. And, I don't think you will find many people from Lexington who want to relocate to Cincinnati for quality of life reasons.

Then your family knows nothing about Milwaukee. Nothing like an uninformed opinion!

Lexington is a dinky little city that was very unimpressive to me, if I can be frank.

And,since you brought it up, Gary Indiana is the armpit of America!

And thanks for your replies guys, it is appreciated.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:11 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrb75 View Post
Then your family knows nothing about Milwaukee. Nothing like an uninformed opinion!

Lexington is a dinky little city that was very unimpressive to me, if I can be frank.

And,since you brought it up, Gary Indiana is the armpit of America!

And thanks for your replies guys, it is appreciated.
OK, let me get this straight. A guy from Milwaukee who is ashamed to move to Lexington because he's too embarrassed to have a "Kentucky" license plate is telling me I'm uninformed?

You need to go to Lexington and check it out so that you can be informed. Lexington is a beautiful city with horse farms and old south charm and none of the stigma of racism and oppression of the actual old south.

Admittedly, Lexington is half the size of Milwaukee but the median household income is about 50% higher and cost of living is lower. You do the math: People live like crap in Milwaukee compared to Lexington. And since the crime rate and unemployment are about twice as high in Milwaukee as Lexington people are less safe there.

And, if you happen to be in another part of the world, chances are that the only Midwest city the locals have ever heard of is Lexington since it is recognized world wide as the center of thoroughbred horse racing.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:57 AM

455 posts, read 1,671,414 times
I have three friends from overseas that worked at Lexmark in Lexington for a few years and couldn't stand the conservative/stuffy environment that exists in the city. Two of them (couple) now live in Cincinnati and complain far less. The other (gay man) also was hired by P&G but is trying to move to Columbus. I liked Lexington when visiting and it is a beautiful place...but please do remember that it is the first real (and potentially shocking) glimpse into the good, bad and sometimes backwards portion of the semi-southern US.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 12,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
OK, let me get this straight. A guy from Milwaukee who is ashamed to move to Lexington because he's too embarrassed to have a "Kentucky" license plate is telling me I'm uninformed?

You need to go to Lexington and check it out so that you can be informed. Lexington is a beautiful city with horse farms and old south charm and none of the stigma of racism and oppression of the actual old south.

Admittedly, Lexington is half the size of Milwaukee but the median household income is about 50% higher and cost of living is lower. You do the math: People live like crap in Milwaukee compared to Lexington. And since the crime rate and unemployment are about twice as high in Milwaukee as Lexington people are less safe there.

And, if you happen to be in another part of the world, chances are that the only Midwest city the locals have ever heard of is Lexington since it is recognized world wide as the center of thoroughbred horse racing.

I have been to Lexington quite a few times actually. As I said, my wife's family lives near there. There is no comparison really between a large city such as Cincinnati or Milwaukee vs Lexington which is a much smaller city.

When I look at cities, I don't just look at the city, I look at the whole area including the suburbs. Since I almost always will live in the suburbs anyway where there is little crime.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:19 AM

443 posts, read 1,021,133 times
Cincy not in a Recession your joking right??? I live in Butler County and there is soooooooooo many homes that are being foreclosed. About 30% of the people I work with that bought homes wayyyyyyyyy out of there price range have either not made a payment in almost a year or have already abandoned their property. My employer is one of the few that is still hiring and believe me we get 100's of apps a day for the 10 jobs we posted last couple of weeks. I can't imagine losing a home right now.
Quote:
Thanks man...

Glad to be back, I was in Cincinnati for about a month watching the awesome development happening. Can't get over how big the site is for QCS. Went to my friends new loft in Over-The-Rhine, has to be one of the best urban neighborhoods in the country.

I was talking to some people at Procter and Gamble, not the best people to talk to on development, but I heard soon we should see new construction on the streetcar, it will link OTR to the Banks, great news! Can't wait till this recession is over, but if you look at Cincy, you really wouldn't think we were in one. So much happening.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,925,909 times
Quote:
Here's my questions.

Is the weather similar to Lexington, Ky? (I assume it is)

How is the job climate?

I appreciate your help!
The weather is somewhat similar to Lexington, although we do get more snow and ice in the winter. Probably 2-3 as much snow as Lexington, in fact. Spring, summer and fall conditions are very similar between the cities.

The job climate...well, I work in unemployment. Jobs are there if you know how to really dig in and find them. The metropolitan area's unemployment rate is around 11%. It's better than Louisville and Detroit, comparable to Indy, Cleveland and Columbus, and worse than Lexington. So, could be better, could be worse.

Quote:
Cincinnati is an awesome city that is seeing a lot of new development, currently 8 cranes downtown. And it is actually home to just as many fortune 500 companies as Milwaukee, Cincinnati actually ranks 6th in the nation per fortune 500 company.

Cincinnati has the 4th best park system in the country, and has a slightly more prosperous economy than Milwaukee, but don't think that it is a Charlotte or Atlanta, which in my opinion is a good thing. I don't like all that sprawl and uncontrolled growth.
The new development downtown is exciting, as well as the revitalization (albeit gradual) of Over-the-Rhine. There are some areas along I-75 in the Downtown/West End transition, as well as in the east end of Downtown near Lytle Park, that could really use some work. Oh, and I'd love to see park "caps" over Fort Washington Way, as well as assimilation of the riverfront and the rest of the central business district.

I don't know if Cincy has the fourth best park system in the country (not trying to contradict you, but I just haven't been to every large city.) It does pretty freaking well, though, and as far as medium-sized city park systems go I imagine that only Louisville could compete with Cincy on a national level.

Quote:
Thanks man...

Can't wait till this recession is over, but if you look at Cincy, you really wouldn't think we were in one. So much happening.
Well...it could be better. Ohio and Kentucky could both stand to reduce their strict corporate regulations and high personal and corporate income taxes (although corporations pass those on to consumers, anyway.) In fact, I think Cincinnati is developing quite well considering how abrasive it can be on businesses. (Not bashing Cincy, just calling it like it is.)

Quote:

I lived in Greater Lexington for 17 years (a surrounding town,) with the exception of a stint in Louisville for nine months. I would never live in either place again. If I stay in the Ohio Valley, it will be Cincinnati or Nashville; otherwise, I'll look west.

Lexington, while clean and beautiful, has a strong influence of "different" people from Appalachia that makes it feel distinctively, well, Kentucky. In some good ways and many bad. I found the people to be rather standoffish and actually snobby and it was very hard to make friends there growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati