U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 12,302 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area all of my life.

First I'll explain why I am considering moving. I do love many aspects of this area but there are many drawbacks, the biggest being the weather and the other being jobs.

My issue with the weather here is that I just can't take the cold anymore. I have a physical condition that makes managing winters difficult. Every year my tolerance for cold temperatures (20 and below for 3-4 months) lessens.

While it is true that the Milwaukee area has many corporate headquarters here, the local economy has worsened over the last ten years with many companies relocating to other states. Of course, with the current recession the situation has only gotten worse as it has all around the country.

My wife's family has relocated near Lexington, Ky. I would rather not live in Kentucky. I would prefer to live near a large city. A possible compromise would be a city like Cincinnati.

Here's my questions.

Is the weather similar to Lexington, Ky? (I assume it is)

How is the job climate?

I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 AM

561 posts, read 1,780,787 times
Keep in mind that some parts of Kentucky (Newport and Covington) are just as "city" and much closer to downtown Cincinnati than lots of Cincinnati's Ohio suburbs. But regardless, the trip from Cincinnati to Lexington is very reasonable. It would be insane for daily commutes, but very pleasant for weekend trips.

The weather and job climates are both going to be better than Milwaukee. But it's still just a matter of degree. The weather is still cold, and the jobs are still scarce. The weather is somewhat similar to Lexington, but it's going to be colder, especially in the northern suburbs.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 12,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Keep in mind that some parts of Kentucky (Newport and Covington) are just as "city" and much closer to downtown Cincinnati than lots of Cincinnati's Ohio suburbs. But regardless, the trip from Cincinnati to Lexington is very reasonable. It would be insane for daily commutes, but very pleasant for weekend trips.

The weather and job climates are both going to be better than Milwaukee. But it's still just a matter of degree. The weather is still cold, and the jobs are still scarce. The weather is somewhat similar to Lexington, but it's going to be colder, especially in the northern suburbs.

Thanks for your reply. It's vanity on my part, but I can't fathom having a Kentucky license plate. Hope not to insult anyone...just my honest feelings.

But, yeah, the appealing aspect of Cincinnati is it's not far from my wife's family.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:11 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,377,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrb75 View Post
but I can't fathom having a Kentucky license plate.
Heh, I had the same thoughts when I was house hunting in Cincinnati. I couldn't picture myself writing "Ky." on my return address.

Of course, several years later I could have kicked myself when I began to really explore the "other side" and discovered how much I liked it.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Heh, I had the same thoughts when I was house hunting in Cincinnati. I couldn't picture myself writing "Ky." on my return address.

Of course, several years later I could have kicked myself when I began to really explore the "other side" and discovered how much I liked it.
lol ... do you guys remember when they had the smiling sun license plates? That would be so embarrassing.

I remember driving around in Toronto and I had temporary KY tags, because I bought my car in Louisville ... well, I got a couple of looks, only if they knew the KY border was within only a 7 hour drive of their city.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:15 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,377,537 times
[small voice] But ... I really liked the sunshine license plates ... [/small voice]

Old 01-28-2009, 07:19 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,840,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
lol ... do you guys remember when they had the smiling sun license plates? That would be so embarrassing.

I remember driving around in Toronto and I had temporary KY tags, because I bought my car in Louisville ... well, I got a couple of looks, only if they knew the KY border was within only a 7 hour drive of their city.
I can't believe that they had those, that would be an embarrasment. I remember seeing them about three years ago headed down to Florida. I live in Cleveland so I really wasn't near Kentucky that much, and I just started laughing when I saw those, couldn't believe a state would actually have that as their license plate.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrb75 View Post
I've lived in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area all of my life.

First I'll explain why I am considering moving. I do love many aspects of this area but there are many drawbacks, the biggest being the weather and the other being jobs.

My issue with the weather here is that I just can't take the cold anymore. I have a physical condition that makes managing winters difficult. Every year my tolerance for cold temperatures (20 and below for 3-4 months) lessens.

While it is true that the Milwaukee area has many corporate headquarters here, the local economy has worsened over the last ten years with many companies relocating to other states. Of course, with the current recession the situation has only gotten worse as it has all around the country.

My wife's family has relocated near Lexington, Ky. I would rather not live in Kentucky. I would prefer to live near a large city. A possible compromise would be a city like Cincinnati.

Here's my questions.

Is the weather similar to Lexington, Ky? (I assume it is)

How is the job climate?

I appreciate your help!

Cincinnati is an awesome city that is seeing a lot of new development, currently 8 cranes downtown. And it is actually home to just as many fortune 500 companies as Milwaukee, Cincinnati actually ranks 6th in the nation per fortune 500 company.

Cincinnati has the 4th best park system in the country, and has a slightly more prosperous economy than Milwaukee, but don't think that it is a Charlotte or Atlanta, which in my opinion is a good thing. I don't like all that sprawl and uncontrolled growth.

Ok lets help with the questions:

Yes, the weather is similar to Lexington, sometimes you might see a differance in snowfall totals or temps, but nothing drastic.

Job climate is not great, what city is right now? But, it has an unemloyment rate below the national average.

Hope that helps somewhat, if you need more help, just ask.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:37 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Cincinnati is an awesome city that is seeing a lot of new development, currently 8 cranes downtown. And it is actually home to just as many fortune 500 companies as Milwaukee, Cincinnati actually ranks 6th in the nation per fortune 500 company.

Cincinnati has the 4th best park system in the country, and has a slightly more prosperous economy than Milwaukee, but don't think that it is a Charlotte or Atlanta, which in my opinion is a good thing. I don't like all that sprawl and uncontrolled growth.

Ok lets help with the questions:

Yes, the weather is similar to Lexington, sometimes you might see a differance in snowfall totals or temps, but nothing drastic.

Job climate is not great, what city is right now? But, it has an unemloyment rate below the national average.

Hope that helps somewhat, if you need more help, just ask.
Well ...

That is a pretty damn good post, if you ask me.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Well ...

That is a pretty damn good post, if you ask me.

Thanks man...

Glad to be back, I was in Cincinnati for about a month watching the awesome development happening. Can't get over how big the site is for QCS. Went to my friends new loft in Over-The-Rhine, has to be one of the best urban neighborhoods in the country.

I was talking to some people at Procter and Gamble, not the best people to talk to on development, but I heard soon we should see new construction on the streetcar, it will link OTR to the Banks, great news! Can't wait till this recession is over, but if you look at Cincy, you really wouldn't think we were in one. So much happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati