U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 PM

6 posts, read 9,871 times

Advertisements

Four year internship is ridiculous! Teachers already make **** for salary and Strickland wants to drag on four years of internship at a mere 28,000 some odd dollars after these young adults already graduated college! One could make more money cutting grass and plowing snow through-out the seasons in Ohio than teaching! I'm a part-time fireman and in college to be an English Teacher but NOW I am re-thinking my degree choice.

I was already upset that as a teacher I would make only $30,000 - $40,000 (40, if lucky) but I was saying "I'll suck it up and just do it because I have the passion and love to teach even though it is **** money!" But seriously, my first four years with this profession will be making less money than a first year teacher assistant (someone who does not even have a teaching certificate). I can make more money being a part-time fireman making $11.50 and hour than Strickland's idea of teaching.

I would love to teach and I know I shouldn't be chasing the dollar sign, but one can not raise a family on $28,000 and then get a bump up to 30,000 his or her fifth year with the same school! NUTS

Dumb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:52 PM

6 posts, read 9,871 times
I apologize for the Cursing. I am just upset because I really want to do Education.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:53 AM

211 posts, read 894,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanj1 View Post
Four year internship is ridiculous! Teachers already make **** for salary and Strickland wants to drag on four years of internship at a mere 28,000 some odd dollars after these young adults already graduated college! One could make more money cutting grass and plowing snow through-out the seasons in Ohio than teaching! I'm a part-time fireman and in college to be an English Teacher but NOW I am re-thinking my degree choice.

I was already upset that as a teacher I would make only $30,000 - $40,000 (40, if lucky) but I was saying "I'll suck it up and just do it because I have the passion and love to teach even though it is **** money!" But seriously, my first four years with this profession will be making less money than a first year teacher assistant (someone who does not even have a teaching certificate). I can make more money being a part-time fireman making $11.50 and hour than Strickland's idea of teaching.

I would love to teach and I know I shouldn't be chasing the dollar sign, but one can not raise a family on $28,000 and then get a bump up to 30,000 his or her fifth year with the same school! NUTS

Dumb
You have every right to be upset. But don't you just love the part of the speech where Gov. Strickland said that [I'm paraphrasing here] if teachers don't like it, they can find work in another state - - - ????

Real nice Gov. and that is EXACTLY what they'll do. Unreal.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:00 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,219,757 times
If you're going into teaching for the money, then perhaps you shouldn't be going into teaching? $28,000 is not a bad starting salary, it is similar to some in other fields. And 4 years before you are considered "experienced" is also not unreasonable.

Yes - it is very hard to raise a family on that as a SOLE income - but then you either have to have both spouses (if there are two) working, or you make the decision not to pursue that line of work. Usually teachers just starting out are YOUNG -- 21 or 22 (just graduating with a 4 year degree) so it is easier for them to manage on this level of income. If you are older or switching careers, this may be more difficult.

As for the 20 extra school days, I know a lot of working parents who struggle with "what to do with their kids" on summer break who will be happy to have 20 less days to worry about that.

As far as private v. public - in Michigan (where I am from, and just moved from 1 year ago) there was no proof (and many studies were done) that charter-type schools did any better than public schools - it is just anecdotal. Perhaps in Ohio there is actual evidence that "private" schools do better than public? (when compared apple-apple - based on demographics, income, # of parents who work outside the home, etc..)

I think Gov. Strickland is trying to address a gap in the system and trying to put Ohio forward in doing so.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:03 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,564,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post

As far as private v. public - in Michigan (where I am from, and just moved from 1 year ago) there was no proof (and many studies were done) that charter-type schools did any better than public schools - it is just anecdotal. Perhaps in Ohio there is actual evidence that "private" schools do better than public? (when compared apple-apple - based on demographics, income, # of parents who work outside the home, etc..)

I think Gov. Strickland is trying to address a gap in the system and trying to put Ohio forward in doing so.
I agree about the private schools comment. THere was an article in the Enquirer recently which spoke to this. My son went to private elementary school and now high school and when you search ANY private school in the area, I can never find any ratings other than parents comments.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:58 AM

211 posts, read 894,905 times
Quote:
If you're going into teaching for the money, then perhaps you shouldn't be going into teaching? $28,000 is not a bad starting salary, it is similar to some in other fields. And 4 years before you are considered "experienced" is also not unreasonable.

Yes - it is very hard to raise a family on that as a SOLE income - but then you either have to have both spouses (if there are two) working, or you make the decision not to pursue that line of work. Usually teachers just starting out are YOUNG -- 21 or 22 (just graduating with a 4 year degree) so it is easier for them to manage on this level of income. If you are older or switching careers, this may be more difficult.

As for the 20 extra school days, I know a lot of working parents who struggle with "what to do with their kids" on summer break who will be happy to have 20 less days to worry about that.

Well, I believe it is important to distinguish a "Private" school from a "Charter" school. Although Charter Schools are freed from certain regulations, they are not considered private as they receive public money.

The key argument between private and public school systems is that it is a proven fact that private schools spend less per pupil than the public system and continually achieve a strong student success ratio wheras the public schools (no matter how much funding) seem to continually have problems.

This can also bring up the debate of teacher's pay. In Ohio, teachers in the private system (e.g., a Catholic school) make substantially less per year than a public school teacher. This tells a person that a teacher isn't necessarily teaching for the money, but because it is in their heart. Although I think teachers are paid horribly, I don't think "Teachers" are necessarily the problem in the public school system, but this is what government seems to always be harping on.

For instance, I have a daughter in a private school and a son in the public school system. Now I live in an area where our school district is ranked as one of the highest in the state. Wonderful system. But we continually have funding problems and we are taxed at one of the highest rates. Whereas my daughters school has only had one tuition increase in 4 years. She gets more individual attention and the private school has helped her deal with her special education needs more than the public system did.

According to our superintendent, the continuous increase in taxes and need for additional funding is due to the regulations placed on the system by the government. He is very, very concerned about these *new* regulations.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
School to go an extra 20 days? Sounds good to me. I think all schools should drop the archaic calendar, which was based on agricultural needs, and update to year round classes. Kids don't need summers off the help with the harvest any more!

Some areas already do this; my cousins in Dayton go year round. Why not?
Dayton students still go the same number of days...they get more breaks. AND the district is going back to the traditional school year most likely starting next school year due to the expense of it. The old calendar is more economical.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveburg View Post
You have every right to be upset. But don't you just love the part of the speech where Gov. Strickland said that [I'm paraphrasing here] if teachers don't like it, they can find work in another state - - - ????

Real nice Gov. and that is EXACTLY what they'll do. Unreal.
Exactly. As a teacher I know that there is already a shortage of science, math, and special ed teachers. We can not find qualified people for these jobs even for the "best" school districts. This will only drive good teachers away and potential teachers to other states to start their careers.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:02 PM

1,008 posts, read 641,408 times
Quote:

You say that a teacher, somebody you trust with your children, should make less than 1% what somebody who throws around a football makes, and be happy about it?

Most salaries in the USA are pathetic these days. Purchasing power is falling, even as wages nominally increase or stagnate, while the corporate elite and the bankers take home billions in bonuses for destroying their companies.

I won't even interview with a company if the starting salary is going to be less than $45,000 per year. I don't want to deal with people who think they can work me to the bone for crap wages.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:04 PM

1,008 posts, read 641,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techshuffle View Post
What is Governor Strickland thinking about with the new education plan. It makes no sense to make teachers do 4 year internships, have the school year go an extra 20 days and change the schedules of students all across the state!

Strickland is an idiot and has proven to be a massive disappointment. I regret that I voted for him, but I don't regret that I didn't vote for Blackwell, who would probably have been worse.

Strickland wants to place a sales tax on all food sold in Ohio, what a guy, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or