U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:13 AM

6 posts, read 9,879 times

Advertisements

I Know many teachers personally and meet with an old high school teacher on a regular basis. And all of these teachers (from private and public) say:

"The extra 20 days won't do anything except make the children hate school even more by decreasing their summer break. As for the four-year internships; it is like this - you're either a good teacher or you're not! Four years of interning won't change someone. Teaching is totally a personality thing. Your first year or two is how you teach. It should be like the good ol' days where after college you're 'thrown to the wolves' and your first year you figure if you're cut out for the job!"

And I agree.

$28,000 for four years! C'mon, Stricky! Teachers already get the shaft as it is when it comes to salary and you want to shaft 'em up even more!

What people don't realize is Teachers are with your children more than you are - well kind of. They are the role models that give your children knowledge, turn on their imaginations, give them inspiration and ideas on what to do when they grow up. Teachers are developing the next future leaders of America! Face it, teaching is a really important job and that aspect of their career is often over-looked. Teachers are your kids' mentors. And we pay them less than garbage men or postal workers, or hair stylist! No wonder we're like 25th in the world when it comes to education.

Read this. I don't want massive amount of money for teachers but the poor pay is just a great example of how we (some people and/or the government) over-look the importance of teachers.

Sorry to ramble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 949 times
I am a teacher, but I also have two friends who quit teaching for a number of reasons, the most of important of which were:

1) Lack of respect and/or support, both from their administration and their community

2) Lack of appropriate compensation (i.e. poor salaries) considering the amount of time and effort they were putting into their jobs

As a teacher myself, I think these are the two main reasons why our country scores so poorly compared to other industrialized nations. This country doesn't respect its teachers, and it doesn't appropriately compensate them. Actually, this country doesn't respect education in general. Our media teaches our children to hate school. School is boring and lame, our commercials say. Who wants to do work? Wouldn't you rather be playing video games or shopping at the mall? These days teachers need to be entertainers just to keep these kids' attention because they expect everything to be fun. They don't have any work ethic, and that certainly isn't our fault as teachers. If anything, parents should be blamed. Parents need to create a culture in which learning is valued. Kids shouldn't be thrown in front of a TV for five hours once they get home. Even without school, those twenty extra days in the summer could be used for learning if parents would only use that time to explore the world with their kids. However, I do know that some parents work two jobs and barely have enough time to get food on the table, let alone spend quality time with their children. I guess that's another problem with our society.

And that's just it. The problems in the education system aren't the education system's problems. Our society constantly looks for scapegoats to blame when things go wrong, and the education system is a great scapegoat. After all, kids spend so much time at school, so it must be the school's fault when things go wrong, but kids don't show up at school out of nowhere. I only have my students for 50 minutes per day. What about the time they spend at home? What about the time they spend watching TV getting brainwashed by our mass media?

Oh, and one last point: People always say that we teachers have it easy and that we get paid too much considering that we get off in the summer. My response to that is-- Gee, why didn't you become a teacher then? If it's such a cushy job, why wouldn't you do it, too? What people don't realize is that we teachers work all those extra hours during the school year, and I know for a fact that we work A LOT harder than most people. The amount of paper work I have to fill out on a daily basis is staggering.

So to all you teacher haters out there-- Maybe you should follow a teacher for even a day to see what we put up with. There's a reason why my two friends quit, and while I do love my job-- I love working with the kids-- there's a lot to be unhappy about. I just hope I don't have more to be unhappy about in the future.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM

526 posts, read 1,262,865 times
Default What's with the $28000 Figure?

Where did you guys come up with $28000? The starting salary for teachers in CPS is over $40000 and it goes up from there. Other schools in the area have a similar pay scale.

My Daughter, for example, is a first year elementary school teacher (not at CPS), and she is getting over $38K -- for 9 1/2 months of work.

I am not sure what is meant my the period of internship but as it stands now, teachers have to teach two years before they qualify for certification -- possibley that is what Strickland meant.

As for how the United States matches up against the rest of the world -- be careful -- statistics can be misleading. We REQUIRE ALL children under a certain age to attend school. By and large this is a good thing but it does lead to distorting test score results when compared with countries that are more selective in their education offerings.

It would be interesting to match our top achievers with the top achievers from other nations -- I bet we would be very competitive!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM

1,071 posts, read 3,947,149 times
Ohio's schools are in a constant state of flux. This is just another phase/trend that our good governor wants to test his intellect on, and sadly he will fail. These kids can't pass the Ohio Graduation Test, how are they gonna get a 20 on an ACT? The internship idea should have been left on the drawing board, right next to the federal audit by the Department of Education. If the Dept figures out that your schools are in worse shape than they thought, the indictment is going to come to 60 E. State St. Columbus, not Cincinnati Public Schools or Springfield City. Nowhere did he mention devoting increased state spending to boost the pay scale of public school teachers, and neglected to publicize that he wants to have tighter control on statewide curriculum and instructional tools from Columbus. This plan is a hot mess if I've ever seen one.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 AM

21 posts, read 69,313 times
One of the authors of "Freakonomics: The hidden side of everything" spoke at my university recently to promote his new book, "SuperFreakonomics". A chapter in the new book will address the 50-year decline in American public education. Interestingly, he attributes a large part of poor school performance to the women's movement. Prior to the 1960s, teaching primary or secondary school was perhaps the best job that an ambitious, college-educated woman could land--and children benefited enormously from having these women be their teachers. Now that women have broken the glass ceiling and have access to a wider array of higher prestige/income professions like medicine, law, business, etc..., schoolchildren have gotten the short end of the stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or