U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,979,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by giakitty View Post
Thanks for the info and the grammar correction I think I'll keep my searching to the Oakley/Hyde Park area.
No worries 'bout that! Wariness can make you weary
Besides Madison Rd, other main streets with a good number of relatively reasonably-priced apartment possibilities include Edwards (Hyde Park) and Brotherton (Oakley) Rd's, Observatory and Erie Ave's in Hyde Park, and Linwood Ave leading southeast from Observatory down into Mt Lookout Square. And one thing I consider a virtue of Cincinnati neighborhoods and older suburbs is that even some of the more "well-to-do" side streets have a brick box or two in the mix. You'd do well by detouring down some of them. It's a renter's market today - lots of signs on front lawns and in windows.
People hype craigslist, but my "visits" there have turned up mostly postings for rentals where Section 8 vouchers are accepted. That's a nice way of saying the building (if not the neighborhood also) is so crummy that the landlord will accept any warm body that can pay up on the first of each month. "Inspections by windshield" work better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 AM

13,744 posts, read 22,944,421 times
Quote:
Is it a safe area to live in? Said friend seems to be a little weary of diversity (i.e. AAs)...should I not even bother suggesting it?

Thanks for your help!
There are a lot of apartments on Beechmont Ave. on Mt. Washington hill that are $400-50 including heat that are a 25 minute drive to UC. There is also bus service direct from Mt. Washington to the UC campus.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 AM

This brings up a good point. Certain neighborhoods such as Hyde Park and Clifton are well-established and have kept a strong appeal. "Everybody" wants to live in them. But there's also a lot of good housing stock and a secure environment in other, less trendy, sections of town. If price wins out over prestige, Norwood and St Bernard contain an ample supply of rental properties in duplexes and brick boxes and other types of small older apartment buildings. Those communities are close in to town and UC, with plenty of convenient local shopping and (at least in Norwood) cool places to hang out. They as well as Mt Washington, Pleasant Ridge, and still-economical-but-gentrifying Oakley would bear scrutiny if having a "good address" isn't a priority.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 AM

15 posts, read 47,442 times
What about Pleasant Ridge around 5800 Montgomery? I contacted a rental management company that has two units in "Pleasant Ridge (near Hyde Park)".

Thanks for all the help!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:09 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,436,109 times
Quote:
What about Pleasant Ridge around 5800 Montgomery? I contacted a rental management company that has two units in "Pleasant Ridge (near Hyde Park)".

Thanks for all the help!
Pleasant Ridge is a great, but it has a significant black population. It might not be the best bet for your friend.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM

15 posts, read 47,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Pleasant Ridge is a great, but it has a significant black population. It might not be the best bet for your friend.
As long as it's safe and quiet I think he should be able to overlook that.
Thanks.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 PM

P-Ridge is known to some as "the next Hyde Park," though it's not quite as upscale. It's on the map for night owls because Pleasant Ridge Chili stays open until 4 AM. Although there's been some change in the population, it's still one of Cincinnati's WASP'ier areas. (Pleasant Ridge Presbyterian Church occupies a focal point of the neighborhood, at Montgomery and Lester Rd's.) The more "diverse" section is toward the west side, along Losantiville Ave, bordering now-majority-AA Golf Manor. However, also on that side of the neighborhood are the boundaries with Ridgewood and Amberley Village, which are higher-income and mainly peopled by "the Caucasian persuasion." Pleasant Ridge Presbyterian Church occupies a focal location, at Montgomery and Lester Rd's.
Norwood is the next community to the southwest, along Montgomery Rd and I-71, and XU of course lies just beyond. In the opposite direction, the mall sprawl of Kenwood gets underway about two miles out - beyond Kennedy Hts and Silverton. So it's well situated, without a doubt.
Be cautious of how many months' rent are being charged up front by the "management company." Some of these businesses demand up to four months' worth before a lease can be signed. You might want to run that company's name by the Better Business Bureau to see whether it's familiar to them, and if so whether the familiarity is in a positive sense. Find out also whether there's an on-site "super," or whether a tenant has to phone in to the company to schedule repairs.
I'd wager that the available apartments are in four-unit brick boxes that were built between the 1930's and '50s. As long as the buildings have been well-maintained the age of the property shouldn't matter. Most of them out P-Ridge way have garages behind and beneath the house, but at the least there'd be driveway parking. (Could prove problematic depending on how many vehicles are owned by residents, and how everybody's schedules are.) Nowadays there's a coin laundry in 'most every basement, as opposed to the earlier years of the buildings when everybody schlepped their dirty clothes to a laundromat and then carried their clean gear home to hang on a clothesline in the back yard. But check on that detail anyway. And, one more thing to do: "happen by" the addresses at 10 or later on a Saturday night to see about noise and activity levels. Unless we're talking about a typical adult under 25 or an atypical adult over that age, blaring music and heavy foot traffic to and from the building might call for their reconsidering moving in there.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 PM

455 posts, read 1,672,274 times
Pleasant Ridge just seems like another half-crappy area you have to drive through on Montgomery Rd but the houses are very nice and similar to the bigger non-sears built ones in Norwood. I just get an empty feeling wandering around the area with the small little strip, that is home to a couple of pubs, and that funky (yet highly mainstream) record shop did nothing to enhance the experience for me. We looked at a couple of houses and even saw a feature on one of the more noteable cable channels that showed a family deciding on a place there (over Hyde Park or Oakley... I forget). I would compare it to St. Bernard or Western Norwood because of all of the fast food places and deteriorating storefronts you encounter when entering the neighborhood.

I DO still want to visit Pleasant Ridge Chili!!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:17 PM

199 posts, read 194,886 times
Quote:
Hi,
I'm doing some apartment hunting for a friend of mine and came across a seemingly very nice efficiency on Dana Ave. The zip code is 45229 and it's almost directly across from Xavier. Is this area considered Evanston?

Is it a safe area to live in? Said friend seems to be a little weary of diversity (i.e. AAs)...should I not even bother suggesting it?

Thanks for your help!
I from Evanston, Cincinnati, Ohio it mostly majority black there. Am African American there is lots of crime there very bad, that why this summer am going to Georgia Tech. I will miss my friends.

Cleveland 1997-2000

College Hill 2000-2006

Evanston 2006-2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati