U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2009, 11:16 AM
 
15 posts, read 47,376 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm doing some apartment hunting for a friend of mine and came across a seemingly very nice efficiency on Dana Ave. The zip code is 45229 and it's almost directly across from Xavier. Is this area considered Evanston?

Is it a safe area to live in? Said friend seems to be a little weary of diversity (i.e. AAs)...should I not even bother suggesting it?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 AM
 
561 posts, read 1,779,381 times
Reputation: 276
Yes, Evanston is a majority black neighborhood. As is Avondale, and I suspect the efficiency you are talking about is very close to the border between the two.

Personally, I think that specific stretch of Dana is somewhat attractive, but not for someone who has problems with race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Reputation: 8239
If its in the 1500 block of Dana, its in the midst of XU housing and is probably OK because of the diligent XU Police force. Anywhere else is not good. If you are looking for housing near XU, try the Norwood side of the Campus. If you don't relate to XU, look somewhere else. I like the Ravenswood Apts about 5 minutes from there in East Hyde PArk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Toledo
3,861 posts, read 7,416,007 times
Reputation: 3646
Quote:
Originally Posted by giakitty View Post
Hi,
I'm doing some apartment hunting for a friend of mine and came across a seemingly very nice efficiency on Dana Ave. The zip code is 45229 and it's almost directly across from Xavier. Is this area considered Evanston?

Is it a safe area to live in? Said friend seems to be a little weary of diversity (i.e. AAs)...should I not even bother suggesting it?

Thanks for your help!
Norwood or Hyde Park would be a much better fit for your friend. How far is your friend willing to commute? Mariemont and Anderson also come to mind but they are quite a bit further out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 PM
 
15 posts, read 47,376 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
If its in the 1500 block of Dana, its in the midst of XU housing and is probably OK because of the diligent XU Police force. Anywhere else is not good. If you are looking for housing near XU, try the Norwood side of the Campus. If you don't relate to XU, look somewhere else. I like the Ravenswood Apts about 5 minutes from there in East Hyde PArk.
The address is 1014...he has no ties with XU since he attends UC. Ooo, I think I've looked at the Ravenswood apts before actually. They're very nice on the inside, just a little out of his price range.

Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
 
15 posts, read 47,376 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Norwood or Hyde Park would be a much better fit for your friend. How far is your friend willing to commute? Mariemont and Anderson also come to mind but they are quite a bit further out.
It's so hard to find housing in those areas, but I have been looking in Hyde Park, Norwood, and Oakley. He wants to stay around $600/month for rent+utilities, which is very hard to do He currently lives in Clifton off of Dixmyth(sp?) and isn't very happy with his neighborhood. I'll have to look into Mariemont actually...that doesn't seem to be so far from UC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 02:26 PM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Reputation: 8239
Yea, my son lived on Dixmith and got burgled twice. The second time, crackhead burgler Stanley Joiner got caught and went to prison for 7 years. Little consolation though. Son moved to Mt. Lookout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA
4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Reputation: 6449
1014 Dana Ave is in North Avondale, just west of the Xavier campus near the corner of improbably straight Winding Way. The apartment mentioned is probably in either an old brick (pre-brick-box era) apartment building or a large converted house. One of Cincinnati's invisible but real "color lines" runs between the south side of Dana and the north side of Burton Ave in that area. The population to the south is almost completely if not entirely made up of Blacks; to the north it's a very "mixed" demographic, almost 50% Caucasian. And the farther south you go, the more the average income level drops. Even when you're accustomed to it, the sudden transition from quiet gaslit streets flanked by stately mansions and well-kept suburban style houses to littered blocks mostly comprised of multi-unit buildings in a decaying condition can be a shock. The community's onetime main business district, along Reading Rd, now has next to nothing to offer. Residents have to travel to adjoining communities for grocery shopping, automotive work, dry cleaning, you name it. Not that Clifton, St Bernard, Norwood, et al are far away.
Friends lived in a brick box at 1005 Dana for a while during one spouse's graduate work at XU. They had zero problems with neighborly interactions or with crime, but were well accustomed to "diversity" and preferred an environment of that sort. Since the person considering a move there admits to being weary (if not wary) of this, s/he would do better looking elsewhere. Headed eastward from Xavier, Dana Ave crosses Madison Rd after passing I-71. All along Madison in both directions from its intersection with Dana are brick-box and other styles of small apartment buildings interspersed with the high-profile high-rises (The Regency and Madison House.) That might make for fertile hunting grounds. Rents would be cheap relative to "Hyde Park proper," with necessity and other shopping in close proximity and a monochromatic slice of humanity dwelling thereabouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 PM
 
15 posts, read 47,376 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
1014 Dana Ave is in North Avondale, just west of the Xavier campus near the corner of improbably straight Winding Way. The apartment mentioned is probably in either an old brick (pre-brick-box era) apartment building or a large converted house. One of Cincinnati's invisible but real "color lines" runs between the south side of Dana and the north side of Burton Ave in that area. The population to the south is almost completely if not entirely made up of Blacks; to the north it's a very "mixed" demographic, almost 50% Caucasian. And the farther south you go, the more the average income level drops. Even when you're accustomed to it, the sudden transition from quiet gaslit streets flanked by stately mansions and well-kept suburban style houses to littered blocks mostly comprised of multi-unit buildings in a decaying condition can be a shock. The community's onetime main business district, along Reading Rd, now has next to nothing to offer. Residents have to travel to adjoining communities for grocery shopping, automotive work, dry cleaning, you name it. Not that Clifton, St Bernard, Norwood, et al are far away.
Friends lived in a brick box at 1005 Dana for a while during one spouse's graduate work at XU. They had zero problems with neighborly interactions or with crime, but were well accustomed to "diversity" and preferred an environment of that sort. Since the person considering a move there admits to being weary (if not wary) of this, s/he would do better looking elsewhere. Headed eastward from Xavier, Dana Ave crosses Madison Rd after passing I-71. All along Madison in both directions from its intersection with Dana are brick-box and other styles of small apartment buildings interspersed with the high-profile high-rises (The Regency and Madison House.) That might make for fertile hunting grounds. Rents would be cheap relative to "Hyde Park proper," with necessity and other shopping in close proximity and a monochromatic slice of humanity dwelling thereabouts.
Thanks for the info and the grammar correction I think I'll keep my searching to the Oakley/Hyde Park area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2009, 01:59 PM
 
10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Reputation: 8239
Direct message sent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top