U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 AM

241 posts, read 1,176,235 times

Advertisements

Oh wow, I forgot about the night spots down by the riverfront. There was Porky's, complete with the full-size airplane crashed through the front of the building. Did that become January's, or was that another place? Caddy's was fun, too, with live music on multiple stages (I remember seeing the Menus play there a few times in the late 80s/early 90s).

Does anyone remember when the Old Spaghetti Factory closed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 PM

31,162 posts, read 57,274,608 times
I know this is off-topic, but the mention of the Menus reminded me: The Blue Note is closing this weekend. All my West Side friends are in mourning. I'm having them all dump a beer on the floor for me, since I can't make it back to town for the wake. LOL

Porky's was on the corner of 2nd and Plum, right? Catty-corner from Caddy's? Weren't there two clubs in the one building? I'm trying to picture it, but it's kinda fuzzy. That was a long time ago!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,348 times
It wasn't The Stroke that Mark Sebastian played continuously on Q102, but another Billy Squier song, Everybody Wants You.

As for Plummet Mall, I loved it. The last ad told listeners that due to a recent cold snap, the Earth's crust had shifted and Plummet Mall was now believed to be located somewhere between Greater Cincinnati and Lincoln, Nebraska.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:41 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
80's huh.

At least I remember the 80's better than the 70's.

Conservatory
Glass
Islands
Lucy's
Sleepout's
Caddy's

Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,996 times
Don't forget Flannigans, next to Sleep Out Louie's on Second Street. Lots of wild nights spent there!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:39 PM

10 posts, read 16,418 times
WOW, Just happened on this today (it's now 2012 and this was written in 2009). Boy, did you guys bring back some memories! I remember all the places you mention in Clifton and esp. Short Vine and the Metro, loved the Metro for a time. I worked at Bogarts and that was fun even though we kept having trouble due to "underage" late night shows..not sure what management was thinkin' on that. I remember our sound guy was named Stoney...and rumor was he was deaf so that was why he always cranked it up so loud you could feel your teeth. I worked at Dollar Bill's too...I remember a woman who went around as the shot girl who wore holsters with liquor and you could buy a shot...and the smell of clove cigarettes at another Short Vine hang out (it was on the corner...the name escapes me). I do remember Tomorrows and January's (and the Precinct and Max and Erma's) BUT that was earlier in my "disco" years...Ah, those were the daze!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 PM

10 posts, read 16,418 times
Wasn't the Jockey Club located in a Newport gangster era nightclub that had been a showplace back in the 1940s...you could tell when you walked in there that there had been something big an ornate there at one time.

Spent many, many nights in the 70s at Conservatory...and what was the place downtown (2nd st) owned by the Schillings? Was that January's?

Also, I so remember Moviola, later the Movies. I loved getting their big poster with a different old movie every night! And Mullane's was wonderful. They had a big round table for "singleton's" to sit at, which made for some good conversation.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 AM

31,162 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Gee View Post
Wasn't the Jockey Club located in a Newport gangster era nightclub
Every place in Newport was a gangster-era nightclub at some point or another, LOL.

I don't even know where the Jockey Club was, that's how impaired I usually was by the time I got there. I do remember going to a Mexican restaurant called Sylvia's after the club closed, though. Can't remember where it was, either! *sigh*

Thanks for contributing!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM

577 posts, read 1,003,907 times
The Bengals in the "Freezer Bowl"

Pete Rose hits 4192

Does anyone remember when The Fox radio station did the I-275 race Memorial Day weekend? It was in the late 80's and I believe they got into a bit of trouble over it. Listeners entered the contest and from what I remember, the first person to make a full lap around 275 won.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
It was originally called Moviola, yes? Later known as The Movies. I saw many a flick there -- I fondly recall the Animation Festivals they'd often have. You could sign up to receive their always-rotating schedule in the mail, and it was always a pleasure to read through it and highlight the ones you wanted to see.

You are correct. However, the first theatre in Cincinnati to show art and foreign films came before Moviola was the Studio in the Playboy Building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati