U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM

577 posts, read 1,003,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
Does anyone remember when the Old Spaghetti Factory closed?
Sometime before the construction of Paul Brown Stadium so probably 1997-98?

It moved to a new building in front of Forest Fair Mall (or whatever it is called nowadays). I am surprised it is still open. I remember stopping there sometime in the early 2000's but it just wasn't the same.

Caddy's moved up that way too and was located at the old Surf Cincinnati. I don't think it lasted very long.

Nothing like getting full on pasta before getting your drunk on at Caddy's and Flanigan's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 PM

10 posts, read 16,418 times
Default movie place in the playboy building

Ah, yes, I remember that place...it was up a few floors.

I can't remember the name of the theater where the movies was before it was Moviola BUT it was a regular theater and it had all these silly themed costumes that the ticket takers and ushers had to wear. My sister worked there and I remember she once had to wear a toga when some Roman movie was playing and wore a full cowboy outfit when "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" was playing. She gave me her cowboy boots and I wore them for quite awhile.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,529 times
Please don't overlook McCarthy's , Crowley's, Hap's, Arnolds, Ogdens Place, the Funeral Parlor, Oodles and January's,Tommy's,The Silverton Cafe, The Dubliner,Coco's,Mickey Finns,...the list of pubs is endless...

Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
^^^ The Old Spaghetti Factory closed when the flood of 1997 happened. The same happened to Caddy's.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes8814 View Post
,The Silverton Cafe
The most prominent feature there was the cockroaches crawling out of the walls.

And cheap beer.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,389 times
Oh wow...I LOVED reminiscing while reading this!!!! I grew up here in the 70s and 80s and loved reading about some of the things I forgot about (like listening to many of the Everybody Wants You and the telephones that I used to call other tables with at Max & Erma's in Tri-County!!!). I found this by searching for the name of the night club on Dixie Highway in Fairfield that used to have a teen night like every, I believe, Sunday around 1986-87. If anyone sees this and remembers the name, PLEASE respond as my boyfriend and I cannot (and are going crazy trying to) remember!!! Back to places that we got wasted at (at 18 because we could!), how about Safari's on Route 4, was it Eli's across from the first alternative bar I ever heard of-The Dock (I believe), and La Boom on top of the Waterfront??? And for fun, going to the midnight show of, wasn't it The Wizard of Oz, set to Pink Floyd's The Wall across from Casinelli Square where we had Gold Circle, driving around Spooky Hollow-east side-and Munchkinland-west side-, Americana amusement park, Malibu, and the Holi-dome. Wow...brings back a lot of fun memories!

Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 PM

688 posts, read 862,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I loved the Skywalk -- the movie theater, Scully's bar, a couple of neat restaurants -- and even up until I moved away four years ago, I used it every day the weather was nasty to walk from the bus stop at Government Square to my office in the Textile Building at Fourth and Elm. I had to walk only a half block outdoors -- I still don't understand why the Skywalk was so underused.

And the bars on Second Street -- Sleep Out Louie's, Caddy's, January's (??), and another place near the railroad overpass just called the Second Street Tavern or something like that. Great fun. Mt. Adams had just turned into a hot spot back then as well.

Ya think I went to too many bars in those days?
Wondering if you can describe what Scully's was like. Once dated a girl whose dad owned that bar but this was after the city forced him out in favor of the stadiums. He sued, and won, and now lives the highlife down in FL.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:17 PM

688 posts, read 862,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
Sometime before the construction of Paul Brown Stadium so probably 1997-98?

It moved to a new building in front of Forest Fair Mall (or whatever it is called nowadays). I am surprised it is still open. I remember stopping there sometime in the early 2000's but it just wasn't the same.

Caddy's moved up that way too and was located at the old Surf Cincinnati. I don't think it lasted very long.

Nothing like getting full on pasta before getting your drunk on at Caddy's and Flanigan's!
Used to be a birthday tradition for me as a kid. We'd go to a Reds game and have dinner afterward at the Spaghetti Factory. As any kid under 12 would agree my favorite was eating in the caboose train car.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:36 AM

172 posts, read 183,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anditeach View Post
Oh wow...I LOVED reminiscing while reading this!!!! I grew up here in the 70s and 80s and loved reading about some of the things I forgot about (like listening to many of the Everybody Wants You and the telephones that I used to call other tables with at Max & Erma's in Tri-County!!!). I found this by searching for the name of the night club on Dixie Highway in Fairfield that used to have a teen night like every, I believe, Sunday around 1986-87. If anyone sees this and remembers the name, PLEASE respond as my boyfriend and I cannot (and are going crazy trying to) remember!!! Back to places that we got wasted at (at 18 because we could!), how about Safari's on Route 4, was it Eli's across from the first alternative bar I ever heard of-The Dock (I believe), and La Boom on top of the Waterfront??? And for fun, going to the midnight show of, wasn't it The Wizard of Oz, set to Pink Floyd's The Wall across from Casinelli Square where we had Gold Circle, driving around Spooky Hollow-east side-and Munchkinland-west side-, Americana amusement park, Malibu, and the Holi-dome. Wow...brings back a lot of fun memories!
Are you thinking of the Dixie Electric Company?

Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Wondering if you can describe what Scully's was like. Once dated a girl whose dad owned that bar but this was after the city forced him out in favor of the stadiums. He sued, and won, and now lives the highlife down in FL.
Good for him! The city screwed him over big time -- him and how many other independent business owners, like the Elm Street Cafe, the one jeweler that, like Scully's, relocated every time the city had a bright new redevelopment idea until he finally gave up. Those are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Scully's was a typical pub and really nothing all that special to look at, but the food was good and the beer was reasonably priced and there was free popcorn. The burgers and reubens were yummy. It was a typical bar -- wood floors (with popcorn all over them), wooden tables and chairs, dim lighting, jukebox, some TVs. There might even have been live music occasionally, I think.

When Scully's was forced to move from the Skywalk at Fountain Square over to the Skywalk on Race Street, it bought some more TVs and advertised itself more as a sports bar.

Found this old link from the Enquirer:

http://enquirer.com/columns/radel/120696_cr.html

I LOLd at the part where the article mentions McAlpin's wanting to move to Fifth and Race. I wonder if we could come up with all the department stores, etc., that were going to locate on that corner? Maison Blanche, Nordstrom, Lord and Taylor, Bloomingdale's ... Have I forgotten any? That's more of a "Cincinnati in the 90s" discussion, though ...

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 07-28-2013 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati